Author Topic: Master Fader 4.5 Released!  (Read 56378 times)

ToH2002

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader 4.5 Released!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
one disappointment: still no option to copy COMPLETE channels - gain, trim, send, fader levels and group assignments do not get copied.

So it remains very tedious to re-arrange my channels when our drummer needs an additional channel for his new cowbell.

Well, let's hope for a future update - shouldn't be too difficult...

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
I'm not scared - it's getting used out on Friday at a show.    Wish me luck =)
Let us know how it goes. So far, the news is encouraging.
Mackie Junkie

rolandvg99

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 06:13:38 PM »
Still no alternative control method but IOS. I dislike IOS just as much as I love the size and weight of my DL1608. Great product "hijacked" by Apple/Mackie. Add some OSC, even if it requires a PC in the loop, and this mixer will be used all the time. Now it's used 3-4 times a year as I've got way better control using my Motu 8M and a Yamaha 01V96. It's such an opportunity missed. The main reason why costumers by other options (at least my experience in the MIA outlet I used to work). I've sold more LS9s than DL1608/806 just because of the os lock-in.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 06:16:52 PM by rolandvg99 »

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 06:23:27 PM »
Is it safe to assume that MF3 will still function?

Master Fader 3... is not under active development

Excellent!

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
Let us know how it goes. So far, the news is encouraging.

I've played with it for a couple hours today.

Loaded shows from a few different bands I have done sound for, including my own.
Played recorded tracks through the mixer (virtual sound check).
Checked my mains and monitor feeds.
Played with the reverbs.
Played with the RTA.
Made sure all my mute groups work.
Made sure all the outputs work.

One thing I notice is - the new reverbs seem much much hotter, so I have to dial them back a bit on the levels for each output, but left REV1/REV2 where they were on their own mixes.

I know this was occurring before, but it seems more prominent now:

The singer in my band wants to hear FX in his monitors - oh joy.....  And he wants LOTS of them.

So on the mix page for REV 1, my vocalist's channel is set to -1.3dB, everyone else's VOX are -8ish, Master is set to -1.1dB

Now, on the L+R mains mix, the Rev1 channel is set to -25dB (previous version it was more like -16dB for most songs)

Okay, that sounds great...   but....    over on my keyboard players AUX, he has REV 1 set around -38dB, and the vocalist with all the reverb in his own mix and the mains?   Well, he's pulled down quite low too.
But the keyboard player complains that all he hears is the verb from that vocalist, with no signal from the vocalist.

This is nothing new - it just seems much more prevalent.  Likely because the new verbs are "hotter"?

Not a complaint, the work around is to simply lower the FX further.   
Ideally, the keyboard player doesn't want to hear other vocalist in his ears, coming through the FX channel...

Anywaaaay, so far, so good.   Everything seems to work like it did before.

I did notice that on the outputs for the mains and auxes, that by default, the compressor is on, the delay is on (but at 0.0ms), EQ and Graphic EQ are on. 
Can't remember if they were all defaulted to on for shows before.   Either way, it doesn't make any difference since it's all set to 0 or flat.   (I just disable things I'm not using normally)

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
Still no alternative control method but IOS. I dislike IOS just as much as I love the size and weight of my DL1608. Great product "hijacked" by Apple/Mackie. Add some OSC, even if it requires a PC in the loop, and this mixer will be used all the time. Now it's used 3-4 times a year as I've got way better control using my Motu 8M and a Yamaha 01V96. It's such an opportunity missed. The main reason why costumers by other options (at least my experience in the MIA outlet I used to work). I've sold more LS9s than DL1608/806 just because of the os lock-in.
Kindof funny - I've been messing about with a Behringer XR12 also and its iOS app is outdated, lacks functionality that the other apps have. OTOH it "feels" more polished than the Android, Windows, and Mac apps - which implies that iOS is the more mature and consistent OS.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:25:30 PM by RoadRanger »

beno

• Mackie Product Manager
  • Padawan
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
They are a bit hotter. Remember you have a send you can lower too and deal with it all in one place.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
They are a bit hotter. Remember you have a send you can lower too and deal with it all in one place.

Oh good, it's not just my imagination...    Probably would be best for me to lower that send and solve the (non) issue across the board, so to speak.....

Boy the reverbs sound great.  ALIVE.   More authentic.   We're not talking Lexicon or anything, but it's seriously better than ever and now completely nullifies that argument I heard from a couple other people about brand x having better FX. 

Thanks to the engineers for that major facelift!!!!

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
I should add that I was not unhappy with the reverb....   I had found ways to make it sound pretty darn good.   But now, the presets are amazing all on their own.

My drummer loves that plate on his snare...  If he's happy, I'm happy!

rolandvg99

• Youngling
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:24 PM »
Kindof funny - I've been messing about with a Behringer XR12 also and its iOS app is outdated, lacks functionality that the other apps have. OTOH it "feels" more polished than the Android, Windows, and Mac apps - which implies that iOS is the more mature and consistent OS.
I've been doing remote to my Yamaha 01V96 (Using StereoScope) and Motu 828MKIII using touchOSC for years both on IOS and Android and through Osculator with no major issues. My Motu 8M is controllable from all platforms using a web interface and works great on a 13" ASUS touch enabled PC running Windows 10 and Chrome browser. Other devices that works great with the 8M: Sony Xperia Z1, iPad, Samsung S7, iPhone 4S, a touch enabled Raspberry PI, MacBook Pro '07, MacMini '11 server and a bunch of other devices. Streamlined or not, I want choice.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:33:58 PM by rolandvg99 »

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
I've been doing remote to my Yamaha 01V96 (Using StereoScope) and Motu 828MKIII using touchOSC for years both on IOS and Android and through Osculator with no major issues. My Motu 8M is controllable from all platforms using a web interface and works great on a 13" ASUS touch enabled PC running Windows 10 and Chrome browser. Other devices that works great with the 8M: Sony Xperia Z1, iPad, Samsung S7, iPhone 4S, a touch enabled Raspberry PI, MacBook Pro '07, MacMini '11 server and a bunch of other devices. Streamlined or not, I want choice.

sorry, but I don't want Mackie to bother with OSC, Android, Windows or other platforms. I want them to focus on iOS and make it the best possible on that platform. Supporting multi platforms is a pain for developers with minimal returns from other platforms, and it's not just porting the app to other devices.

Having to deal with the headache of Android alone with the different manufacturers, different OS flavors  and different chipsets should make any developer think twice about cross platform support.

I'm selfish. I want the iOS to be great, and Mackie has decided that as well. I don't want the limited development resources split. If they want to open up the API or offer a an SDK to 3rd party developers, great.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 03:52:35 AM »
I have been using 4.5 for a while on many jobs (beta testing) and as far as I am concerned,, it is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

Don't be afraid folks!

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 04:42:15 AM »
While MF 4.5 was working great on my iPad 3 (ios 9x), iPad Air & iPad Pro (10 beta).... I decided I would go ahead and upgrade to the release version of IOS 10 on the air and the pro.

I'm happy to report that after the upgrade, everything is working well still...

Everything is all shiny and new on my end 8-)

jr_jrafael

• Youngling
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »
Pink Noise DL1608
O console esta cada vez mais completo, parabéns Mackie....
Mas a ferramenta de para gerar o um sinal Pink/White Noise ajudaria todos os técnicos para poderem alinhar / checar seus sistemas sem precisarem de outros dispositivos como microfones, celulares ou DVS.
Creio que uma tela bem simples com a rota e o nível seria ideal....
Se puder ter o Pink Noise / White Noise / Senoide ficaria perfeito
Sei que este recurso já temos na DL32R mas por favor se pudermos ter na DL1608 seria perfeito.
Obrigado.

<Translation:
The console is more complete, Mackie congratulations ....
But the tool to generate one Pink / White Noise signal would help all technicians to be able to align / check their systems without the need for other devices such as microphones, wireless DVS.
I believe that a simple screen with the route and the level would be ideal ....
If you can have the Pink Noise / White Noise / sinusoid would be perfect
I know that this feature already have the DL32R but please if we have the DL1608 would be perfect.
Thank you.>
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:20:56 PM by jr_jrafael »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
If you can have the Pink Noise / White Noise / sinusoid would be perfect
I know that this feature already have the DL32R but please if we have the DL1608 would be perfect.
The DL1608 can play back any sound file you have on the docked iPad - just grab a Pink Noise file from the internet.