Author Topic: Master Fader 4.5 Released!  (Read 56369 times)

Soundbyte

• Padawan
Re: Master Fader 4.5 Released!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »
Solved my problem.

My DL32R was configured for a IP address and not DHCP.

It seems that MF 4.5 updates and comes up as DHCP and not the IP address that it was configured for.

I used another ipad to select another IP address and that one update the DL32R.

I am happy now.
Thanks for the work-around I've got mine working now. Fortunate that we have other devices with the old app installed. What about all the guys out there with one device and no way to go back, they're screwed. This isn't acceptable, I've never had problems using a static IP to do firmware updates in the past.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2016, 05:21:20 PM »
I am guessing that Mackie has an internal app (like most connected device companies) that allows them to upgrade or downgrade firmware on devices, which is critical when testing new builds.

The challenge is that normally those apps are on closed systems - TestFlight, Microsoft HockeyApp, or a private server where they'd need your UDID to grant you access. But there are examples of utility apps for the public on OS X that do allow you to upgrade/downgrade the firmware, such as Avid's mBox, but not aware of this on the iOS side for public use.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2016, 05:38:40 PM »
I am guessing that Mackie has an internal app (like most connected device companies) that allows them to upgrade or downgrade firmware on devices, which is critical when testing new builds.

The challenge is that normally those apps are on closed systems - TestFlight, Microsoft HockeyApp, or a private server where they'd need your UDID to grant you access. But there are examples of utility apps for the public on OS X that do allow you to upgrade/downgrade the firmware, such as Avid's mBox, but not aware of this on the iOS side for public use.
Weather or not the means exist to do this is small consolation for someone locked out of their system. I cannot believe this problem didn't show up during BETA testing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:41:41 PM by Soundbyte »

MarkDMcBride

• Youngling
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
What about all the guys out there with one device and no way to go back, they're screwed. This isn't acceptable,

Not quite. The iPad that initiated the update, still had the "Abort" button. They could abort the process and start over. Which is essentially what I did with the second iPad (which was updated to 4.5 also).

You just have to have a little intestinal fortitude to press the "Abort" even when Mackie says not to in their documentation.

rolandvg99

• Youngling
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
Im not sure but, if im correct if u force and firmware update u can go back to an early version
Did this for mf classic and went back to mf4
So u should be able to go back from mf4.5 back mf4

Yes. That could be done. I've done that numerous times. Problem arrives when someone doesn't know what's going on.

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2016, 05:51:35 PM »
Well there is a message about a firmware mismatch, some people just dont read

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2016, 07:21:09 PM »
What about all the guys out there with one device and no way to go back, they're screwed. This isn't acceptable,

Not quite. The iPad that initiated the update, still had the "Abort" button. They could abort the process and start over. Which is essentially what I did with the second iPad (which was updated to 4.5 also).

When I did that, the abort button did nothing. There was no option to change IP settings to DHCP. This option is only available when connected, however as soon as it connected the firmware update screen would popup and cover the setup button. If I chose NO it would disconnect and send me back to square one. I was able to get into the IP setup screen by using a ipad that still had the old app on it. I'll say it again, this should have been caught during the BETA phase.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:36:36 PM by Soundbyte »

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:51 PM »
A little scenario for you: A costumer of mine has a DL1608 with a docked iPad in a remote location with no access to Wi-Fi. A musician visits the place and brings his own iPad as he owns a DL1608 himself. That musician has a newer revision of the MF installed and updates the firmware. He does his stuff, leaves and the very next day I get a complaint from a seriously angry costumer that quote: "I want to swap this Mackie (and some words I´m not allowed to utter) for something that works." His only needs was to move a fader up and down and mute a CD player. Which he couldn't because his iPad couldn't connect due to a ridiculous decision to match firmware with software at all costs. End of story: He told his colleagues about this and they all bought conventional analogue mixers from another brand.

All he had to do was reset the mixer and downgrade the firmware from his app. People who aren't competent with computers probably shouldn't rely on them, or should work with a vendor who can provide proper tech support.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »

If you have a DL, you have the same app. It's called Master Fader.

rolandvg99

• Youngling
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
A little scenario for you: A costumer of mine has a DL1608 with a docked iPad in a remote location with no access to Wi-Fi. A musician visits the place and brings his own iPad as he owns a DL1608 himself. That musician has a newer revision of the MF installed and updates the firmware. He does his stuff, leaves and the very next day I get a complaint from a seriously angry costumer that quote: "I want to swap this Mackie (and some words I´m not allowed to utter) for something that works." His only needs was to move a fader up and down and mute a CD player. Which he couldn't because his iPad couldn't connect due to a ridiculous decision to match firmware with software at all costs. End of story: He told his colleagues about this and they all bought conventional analogue mixers from another brand.

All he had to do was reset the mixer and downgrade the firmware from his app. People who aren't competent with computers probably shouldn't rely on them, or should work with a vendor who can provide proper tech support.

I had no problem getting it back to working order, but they could not run the risk of this happening again. It was an after ski resort with many different users. They initially bought the mixer based on a recommendation from a local musician.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2016, 08:22:32 PM »
Oh man, can we all just stop bashing on Mackie over what you feel are disadvantages of using only IOS, or tying their revisions to firmware, yada yada?

I get it, some of you want Android, or PC, or some open source access - I wouldn't mind it myself, buttttt, from the start, you knew going in that the Mackie was iPad-centric.
Surely you didn't buy a DL* thinking it would one day change?   

I'm the last person on the planet to say the iPad is great, I'm not some fanboy.  I would have never probably purchased an iPad except for it was required for the DL1608.  Seriously.

So, I accept that we are locked to IOS only (for now?)

I also accept that in order for Mackie to continue their development process in the way that is comfortable for them, they also implement firmware updates into MF releases.    It's okay. 

Sure, it can get confusing, like in my case, where I have had multiple DLs and iPads, some mine, some not mind, and keeping them all in sync is important.     

Case in point - updated my primary iPad Pro to latest MF 4.5, which required me to update our production DL32R to latest firmware, and obviously, all the other iPads I use on stage had to be upgraded.
I sent an email to our guitarist and reminded him to download MF 4.5 for his iPhone before the show tomorrow.

The problem will come when I go to run sound for a business that I have a DL1608 at - it has not been updated...     So, I will have to arrive early, perform that update, update their 2 iPads.
And again, when I run sound for another group, who as far as I know has the old MF on their phones and tablets - it will have to be updated for them to control my DL*

I accept this is how it is.....    I wish you could to... It's how it is - it's how it has always been.   

We will survive.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2016, 08:28:23 PM »
REALLY REALLY digging the reverb improvements.   

I was able to get the 'verb we use for VOX dialed in to where it sounds incredible. 

In haven't had a reverb this good in years without using an outboard processor (on the DL1608 or DL32R)
SOO much better than the old ones. Better than my A&H ZED & Presonus 2442.

I wish I had recorded the difference. It's night and day.   It's ALIVE.......

rolandvg99

• Youngling
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2016, 09:20:04 PM »
I was on the fence until previous user metacon advertized he would release an Android app running OSC alongside MF. Then suddenly he was approached by Mackie and since then it's been all quiet. Hope ressurected when AMPMIX announced support for the DL series, but it's been 2 years now... If we all acted like sheep and followed the "leader", we would still be grunting and picking our noses in some forest.

ezywave

• Initiate
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
Just a quick note on my update experience: I was kind of weary about it after the reports of hanging updates, e.g. by the guy from Germany. My starting point was a DL1608 with MF3 on an iPad 2 running iOS 8, all working fine in that config albeit newer HW/SW combinations are certainly much more powerful. My main concern was if the update would go through without frying my system and if so, how it would behave afterwards. I have a gig tomorrow and was torn if I should take the plunge. After reviewing the Mackie release info I couldn't resist anymore, I definitely wanted the improved reverb and the RTAs on input channels.

Long story short: it worked like a charm and I am thrilled with my updated system! The responsiveness is OK, the new reverbs are fabulous and the RTAs are invaluable to quickly fight feedback and room resonances. Surely this will result in a much improved live sound. And even the show I had worked on before in MF3 and that was stored on my DL was nicely carried over, no need to load from a backup.

Not sure if it made a difference, but I rebooted the iPad before the update and made sure no other apps were running. The update was performed in docked mode. So, if you are also in doubt and have a similar configuration like me: Cross fingers and go for it, of course at your own risk. Good luck! :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:55:31 PM by ezywave »

Soundbyte

• Padawan
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2016, 12:40:23 AM »
Just a quick note on my update experience: I was kind of weary about it after the reports of hanging updates, e.g. by the guy from Germany. My starting point was a DL1608 with MF3 on an iPad 2 running iOS 8, all working fine in that config albeit newer HW/SW combinations are certainly much more powerful. My main concern was if the update would go through without frying my system and if so, how it would behave afterwards. I have a gig tomorrow and was torn if I should take the plunge. After reviewing the Mackie release info I couldn't resist anymore, I definitely wanted the improved reverb and the RTAs on input channels.

Long story short: it worked like a charm and I am thrilled with my updated system! The responsiveness is OK, the new reverbs are fabulous and the RTAs are invaluable to quickly fight feedback and room resonances. Surely this will result in a much improved live sound. And even the show I had worked on before in MF3 and that was stored on my DL was nicely carried over, no need to load from a backup.

Not sure if it made a difference, but I rebooted the iPad before the update and made sure no other apps were running. The update was performed in docked mode. So, if you are also in doubt and have a similar configuration like me: Cross fingers and go for it, of course at your own risk. Good luck! :laugh:
The DL32R is different from the 1608 in that you cannot choose a hard connection. Everything Is done via WiFi and this is where the problems are. If you're running a dynamic IP addy, you'll be fine. However, if like me you are using a static IP, this is where the problem seems to be. Once I got it to stay connected, everything worked as advertised. After the firmware was updated I switched the static IP back on.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:48:03 AM by Soundbyte »