Author Topic: Master Fader 4.5 Released!  (Read 56375 times)

Michael Welter

• Knight
Re: Master Fader 4.5 Released!
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
Or just do the fade-out on the phone's volume control...
And hope no one calls the phone during the song.  :facepalm: :lol:
Mackie Junkie

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »

and sometimes it's a USB stick or a laptop, and there dozens of kinds of phones that have all sorts of response curves and rates for volume controls, and some devices make noise while you're operating their volume controls, and I have enough to think about without operating some random device, and I already have a lovely set of volume controls on my board that I know and would prefer to use, but, y'know, thanks for your helpful suggestion.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2016, 05:47:00 AM »
Assign the playback channel and the aux(s) to the same VCA and do the fade on the VCA
If in doubt ask

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2016, 09:04:18 AM »
Assign the playback channel and the aux(s) to the same VCA and do the fade on the VCA

+1

And hope no one calls the phone during the song.  :facepalm: :lol:

As soon as I see a phone or iPad my first response is to ask the owner to put it in airplane mode.

USB files can be played using my own Android phone (in a/p mode, of course) using a USB OTG cable to make my phone into the USB host. £10 well spent.

Apologies for wandering OT.

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2016, 02:02:17 PM »
Quote from: Topsøe on Today at 12:47:00 AM
"Assign the playback channel and the aux(s) to the same VCA and do the fade on the VCA"

The aux master can't change level. Sometimes it's a track act with vocals.

There are many workarounds. The correct answer is individually configurable pre/post per aux per channel.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:46:36 PM by RoadRanger »

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2016, 04:43:40 PM »
I just completed my update to v4.5.   Two items I've noted
1.  All of my custom images from every channel were not restored with the existing show.   All the channel settings including names etc appear to be restored correctly , just no images.   Shouldn't take long to put them back I guess.
2. I happened to check the device settings since I use a static IP.    Surprisingly each of the IP entries are completely backwards.  Eg 192.168.0.98. Is now displayed as 98.0.168.192.    Same for the mask and gateway.    Again something I can easily correct manually but sure glad I came across it!
Just heads up

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
The correct answer is individually configurable pre/post per aux per channel.
Yep, the Behringer X-Air does that as well as my ancient Phonic Summit. I think I was the one to put that on the official "wish list" although I can understand why Mackie is reluctant to add that complexity to our mixers. I think my suggestion of adding a "simple" mode to the mixer for beginners is the right thing to do rather that cripple the mixer vs other brands - especially with the DL32R which needs to compete with the "big boys". OTOH there are still a few features that the Mackie DL1608 has that the X-Air doesn't...

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »
BTW I just sat with someone local to help them understand the workflow of the DL1608 - they were running the monitors off the right main and the mains off the left main. Someone at Mackie support told them they had to use the left output for mains if mono - Oy Vey. IMO if the mixer is too complicated for Mackie support it really really really needs a simple mode !

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2016, 08:01:07 PM »
It's possible that they misunderstood what the Mackie person told them. And then one person passes that to another person, and that person passes it to another person, and so on.
Mackie Junkie

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »
When I get ready to update to MF 4.5 what order should I do the updates as far as OS, firmware and Master Fader, or does it matter?

nottooloud

• Knight
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »
When I get ready to update to MF 4.5 what order should I do the updates as far as OS, firmware and Master Fader, or does it matter?

Master Fader updates the firmware. Unless you're on a really old iOS, order shouldn't matter.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2016, 10:51:38 PM »
Wired Ethernet Instructions:
https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#asset/17381

But in the case of this bug, unlike the dock connection on DL806/1608, the wired Ethernet still experiences the problem.
BenO on the manual for the DL I commend you and whoever is the author. Just one thing that I would like to see change and is in the V4.5 Release notes and that is item #8.

"8. Numerous bug fixes and minor enhancements"

It's just not enough and here's why. First of all software projects will have bugs, it's the nature of the beast. Hiding them or giving them short shrift indicates an immature approach to the problem. The reason to list individual "bugs" is that your customers are made aware of them and don't find out the hard way at a gig. Most can be avoided with workarounds as long as we have knowledge of them. Most software companies worth their salt have this in place. Maybe Mackie can up the game. Quality large and small companies have a bug list and the status available to their users.
#8 appropriately puts you behind the 8 ball. :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:03:36 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »
All updates went without a hitch:) Off this weekend, but looking forward to a 3 day festival next weekend in Knoxville, to start tweakin' the 'verbs.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »
Did the firmware update this weekend and like most folks I am impressed with the new verbs.  Am not going to do the iOS 10 upgrade for a while since I want to wait until I hear more from others about how this went.
Since I also run sound using other people's DL series mixers I left one of my iPads with 4.0 until they do the upgrades.

I'm just wondering if there is a tutorial that explains what each of the advance reverb settings does. While I can tell the difference when I tweek the settings, it would be nice to actually understand what it is that each of these does. 

So far no problems.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2016, 01:52:16 AM »
I just upgraded to 4 which seemed to be what was available.  maybe it is 4.5.  Went smooth.  I love the RTA and I really like the programmable mute feature.  Finally a Break Music button.