Author Topic: Upgrading my iPad - Need Some Advice ...  (Read 2800 times)

WJF

• Padawan
Upgrading my iPad - Need Some Advice ...
« on: September 26, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »
I'm currently running MF 4.5 on an iPad 3 with iOS 9.    It seems to work ok in general but every once in a while I'll get a random 'freeze' and the operation of the faders sometimes lags a bit when running more than about six channels. Changing views also lags. I realize the iPad 3 is dated technology ... so ... I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade. Before I go rushing into this though, I thought I'd check in with the experts here.

My budget only allows an iPad Air 2 (wi-fi only and 16GB  aka ... inexpensive) ... will this run MF 4.5 in a more responsive way, without the lag in fader operation or changing views?

What 'kit' will I need to convert the dock (tray and connector) from the old iPad 3 to the Air 2? Any thoughts on the best place to purchase it?

What else should I be thinking about that I haven't asked here? ... the devil is always in the details and I want to be sure I'm not missing anything else as far going for an upgrade like this. Is making a move like this pretty straightforward or is there something that I'm not factoring into the equation?

FWIW ... I plan to use the Air2 exclusively for MF4.5 ... so I won't be filling it up with a bunch of other apps, etc.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your thoughts / help with this!!!

:)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Upgrading my iPad - Need Some Advice ...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
You are correct, an iPad 3 has a slower processor and while it will work it does tend to lag and have intrinsic problems. I have 2 of these and use them only when needed or for stage monitor mixes. An iPad air2 has a much beefier processor and will function just fine for 4.5 
The air2 has a lightning plug and your mixer is a 30 pin plug ( old stylhe Apple). There are 2 options available for you that I am aware of. You can buy the Mackie upgrade retrofit that you install on the DL mixer, that allows your new air2 to slide right in the mixer tray just like you would do now, or you can buy a Apple 30 pin to lightning adaptor. These work fine except the mixer will not slide into the tray since the adaptor blocks the pathway. If you don't mind putting the iPad on the top it is a solution.  A word of caution....buy only the real Apple adaptor, it's about $ 25.00 on eBay (part number MD823AM/A) the imported ones don't seem to ever work.

A third option, which is what I do is keep your ipad3 docked to the mixer. Use it to store music for breaks and stuff. Use the new Air2 as the remote unit. I always mix remote so using the better iPad without the lag works perfect. If you need a 2nd iPad for emergencies or for a stage mix, you can always pull then spare,off the mixer.

Best of luck
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:51:53 PM »
I have an iPad Air2 (in fact, I have 2 of them), and it works great. Absolutely no lag. And 16Gb will be plenty of memory for MF.
Mackie Junkie

WJF

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 10:48:42 PM »
Thanks guys!! Based on your advice, I ordered the iPad Air2, the new tray and the lightning connector for the dock. They should all be here by tomorrow and then I guess the fun will really begin.  :)

Thanks again ... I really appreciate your help!!!!!!!

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
It will be a huge difference and I know you will be glad you made the switch.

I did a show last night that I had to use an iPad 3, and while it worked it was
nowhere near as fast and accurate as the air.  Just the lag time to open or go back
to a different screen seemed like forever... even though it really was just a second.

Hope all goes well with your upgrades.

Your never to old to learn something stupid