Author Topic: Question about using headphones to hear solo  (Read 5700 times)

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
Question about using headphones to hear solo
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:55:57 AM »
On a standard mixer you would have a set of headphones plugged into the board and could press the solo button to hear each individual channel. What is the best way to accomplish this with the DL1608 when it’s being used wireless?

Ampli

• Knight
Re: Question about using headphones to hear solo
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:57:56 AM »
Using wireles headphone?

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:38:04 AM »
Wireless IEM's - or just walk up to the mixer when you need to solo something.

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:05:11 AM »
Wireless IEM's - or just walk up to the mixer when you need to solo something.

Wireless IEM seem expensive. Is there a different way to go that would only be between $100 to $150 besides directly at the mixer?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
Low Latency Bluetooth setups would be in your price range. Mostly sold for TV to headphone setups. Look for longer distance units.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:02:39 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:42:41 AM »
This has been a item I have messed a bit with. Now that I have to worry a lot more about my hearing degrading any more I have been playing with a few options.
I want to be able to mix remote using headphones for a few reasons. First I like to zero in and tweak certain eq. points with the solo feature. I like to hear the mix thru the cans too. But even more important is the headphones when turned down....or off make really nice earmuffs to reduce volume evenly across the frequency range. I don't like the look of earplugs and other devices don't work well enough for me.
My latest try which seems to work so far is:
I bought a small Bluetooth transmitter for $40.00. This plugs into the DL headphone  jack and sends the sound from the mixer to my active noise canceling Bluetooth headphones.
Once you pair the headphones to the transmitter everything comes thru phones, including the solo function. The phones have a volume control on them allowing me to adjust remotely. Let's me roam the room and use headphones. Once the mix is where I'm happy, I can kill the volume and have good hearing protection without looking like an A-Hole.
I used regular wireless headphones before with decent results, but wanted to try ones with active noise reduction to mask the audience noise a bit better.

Has anyone tried this before?  Looking for tips.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:44:40 AM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:04:27 AM »
Rdmitch, I've tried that too, but alas, I still look like an A-hole.... Maybe that's just how I look... 😄

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
I have not tried this, but will be very interested in trying this myself. FWIW, you can buy wireless headphones right out of the box - not sure about noise cancelling though.

Please let us know how it works out and what you end up with.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:17 PM »
The wireless have worked before, but I never could get the needed volume due to noisy people in the audience around me. Hence, wanting to try the active headphones that may be better at blocking surrounding noise.
I may try these at a show tomorrow but I'm using someone else's DL32 and may be pressed for time if I need to upgrade their stuff to 4.2.
Will keep you posted. In trying this at home I did notice a very minor delay in the headphones, it may not be an issue.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:27:54 PM by Rdmitch »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
Here’s the other side of the coin. What if you already have an expensive pair of wired noise cancelling headphones and want to use them for wireless monitoring from your FOH mixer? I presume you would need a BT transmitter plugged into the DL headphone jack and a BT receiver for your headphones, wherever you are located at the venue.

Feigning ignorance here, are there any such adapters out there that would work? I’ve already been Googling and have found some for the iPhone 7, to correct the lack of a physical headphone jack, but not for remote monitoring of the mix at venues.

Don’t really want to spend minimum $150.00 plus for a set of noise cancelling BT headphones plus a BT transmitter. Ugh!

Of course they could go on my Christmas List!  :mrgreen:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 02:18:52 PM »
Listening to FOH at a distance with headphones was never good owing to the delay caused by the distance involved, the DL has a delay adjustment to help with this. Bluetooth, as well as it's poor quality sound caused by MP3 style compression, has it's own rather lengthy delay. If you add to that whatever horrors the noise cancelling does to the sound plus the fact that some of the noise cancelled is going to be the wanted sound from the FOH you are going to hear only a vague approximation of the sound actually leaving the DL. A radio based system is going to be better, no delay, less compression, but you still are only going to hear the mix as it leaves the DL not as it leaves the speakers so no good for mixing decisions only for troubleshooting using the solos. In the good old analogue days I do have to admit to occasionally wearing closed headphones with no signal in them to give my ears a break.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »
Don't know if it would work, but the one I bought can be set to transmit or receive.
I set it to transmit the Bluetooth signal to my headset. Possibly a second one could be used to receive the signal. There is a stereo mini jack on the unit to plug in a headset.  You may want to check out the specs. The problem I see would be how to pair these.
For my use, I just pair the headset to the transmitter, plug the line in to the transmitter from the board and I'm done.
I was going to use my wife's Dr. Dre headphones but thought I would be a dead man when I lost them. I have
a cheaper set of headphones I got on Amazon ($70.00) that are wireless Bluetooth that work pretty well.

Agree, the delay may be bothersome since I will hear some bleed from the mains. I hope to overcome this with
some volume and the closed back headphones. It may be impossible..so I have to check it out this weekend.

If it's a big fail, I won't be too upset since the parts were actually bought to use on my tv at home and using them on the DL was an afterthought. I have used regular wireless Sennheiser headphones with the DL before and they work okay, no issue with delay or distance, just not enough volume and they let a lot of audience noise in.

A big part was the "disguised " ear protection.  No one really pays much attention to me when I'm wearing buds or phones since they see me around the stage and with the mixer. Pretty much once the mix is where I  want it the rest of the night is smooth sailing other than doing effects and watching for IEM looks of desperation from the stage.

TaoTronics Bluetooth 4.1 Transmitter / Receiver, Wireless 3.5mm Audio Adapter (aptX Low Latency, Pair 2 At Once, For TV / Car Sound System, Volume Control)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:40:47 PM by Rdmitch »

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
Too bad you can’t monitor the mix from within MF on your iPad from the pad’s headphone/audio out jack! How hard would that be to implement? 

I suppose that would still require an audio signal having to be fed/transmitted from the DL into the iPad somehow. probably not physically possible.  :(

Or to save money and go old school, you could sacrifice a pair of Aux outs, or just use the headphone jack (unique idea!) to run a physical connection back from the DL to a headphone amp. Thus defeating the whole purpose of why you bought a wireless digital mixer in the first place! OY!  ::)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:21:47 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
Time to catch up with Bluetooth technology. Stating Apt-X is like saying mic and we all know were that leads. The Bluetooth/Apt-X route requires a device at both ends (transmitter and receiver to handle the codec) or it will revert back to SBC (lowest Bluetooth quality). Yes that's what your iPad/iPhone gets you today. The recently released (Jan 2016) CSR8675 SoC handles 24 bit 96khz audio. Not bad, here are the details.
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2016/10/24/qualcomm-aptx-hd-breaks-down-barriers-high-res-audio-over-bluetooth-adoption
Pricey today but that's the norm for new tech. Audio Technica, LG and others are producing headsets and transmitters using this tech.
Keep in mind that the purpose of headsets on mixers was more for solo monitoring and other setup functions, not to listen to FOH sound. That's what your ears are for. The DL delay serves no purpose in this since delay is the problem, also if you're that far away from the source what's the point?
When in doubt KISS