Author Topic: Question about using headphones to hear solo  (Read 5708 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Question about using headphones to hear solo
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »
Overall the experiment was only partially successful.
While the concept worked with using the Bluetooth transmitter to get a signal to the wireless headphones, the delay was too extreme to overcome in last nights test.
I think this was a lot in part to the particular venue and the volume of the players. Since the room was so live, and the drummer so fierce (my nice way of saying too loud) I had only vox and some guitar thru the FOH.  For the most part drums, bass and a lot of the guitar needed no reinforcement from the system and the faders were off.  When listening thru phones, the slight delay on vox just didn't mesh with what I had to hear coming off the stage
In our usual outdoor and large club venues when everything comes thru the mains the delay may not be as bad givin that  I would hear everything with the same delay.

Purpose was not to "mix" with phones but to be able to block the overall volume and still be able to make some tweaks if needed to individual instruments. 
Will retry at a larger venue and will still try the regular, standard, non- Bluetooth wireless phones and try bump the volume up a bit.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Question about using headphones to hear solo
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
Overall the experiment was only partially successful.
While the concept worked with using the Bluetooth transmitter to get a signal to the wireless headphones, the delay was too extreme to overcome in last nights test.
I think this was a lot in part to the particular venue and the volume of the players. Since the room was so live, and the drummer so fierce (my nice way of saying too loud) I had only vox and some guitar thru the FOH.  For the most part drums, bass and a lot of the guitar needed no reinforcement from the system and the faders were off.  When listening thru phones, the slight delay on vox just didn't mesh with what I had to hear coming off the stage
In our usual outdoor and large club venues when everything comes thru the mains the delay may not be as bad givin that  I would hear everything with the same delay.

Purpose was not to "mix" with phones but to be able to block the overall volume and still be able to make some tweaks if needed to individual instruments. 
Will retry at a larger venue and will still try the regular, standard, non- Bluetooth wireless phones and try bump the volume up a bit.

Based on what you experienced tells me that you where not getting low latency Apt-X due to the headphones. As I stated before both ends MUST BE Apt-X low latency unit's otherwise the units will drop back to SBC and NOT low latency. That means your 20 -40 ms delay in latency goes to 150 + ms. Taking your distance from the stage where you encountered this (unknown), the direct sound would be delayed at 1 ms per foot and reflected sound longer. If the venue acoustics were too reflective the Sabin line would be very close to the stage add high loudness to this ( a band problem) and you have a mess far worst than delay issues. No amount of mixing will fix that. Simply put this should have delayed sound to your position ( which you didn't state) but as you experienced, clearly not enough, telling me your delay is due to the non Apt-X connection. Manufacturers have a bad habit these days of misleading their customers all too frequently in their advertising and their specs. Your larger and outdoor venues experienced far less reflected sound hence giving a cleaner sound but still with the delay of non low latency. So before we dismiss Bluetooth as a usable way to remote monitor, the right equipment should be used.
When in doubt KISS