Author Topic: Ipad2 thunderbolt and mf classic vs 4.5  (Read 2452 times)

1kidc

• Youngling
Ipad2 thunderbolt and mf classic vs 4.5
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »
Let me preface by saying I'm not a sound man or a tech guy. I lead a wedding band, play guitar and also run sound. After going to mf3 I moved back to classic because I liked the simpler interface. It's been fine and been running basically bulletproof since. I run iOS 9.3 and have had no problems w classic - up till now...

My drummer recently bought a new iphone 7 and his my fader app doesn't like it. He keeps getting a half screen making it worthless for mixing.and yes I'm not surprised as i know it isn't compatible w ios10. So I'm kinda stuck in a dellimma...

1. Will my ancient iPad 2 running iOS 9.3 keep up with mf4.5? I'd love to have a better reverb but I'm basically ok with classic for our bands use. But as my band mates update their pads and phones I see mf classic as an inevitable dead end.

2. If I do switch to mf 4.5  Is there any way to simplify the mf4.5 interface to look somewhat less complicated and more like classic? I'm happy to just have the 16 faders plus a reverb and delay fader and a master of course... I just found it too easy to hit aux sends, routing pages etc in the middle of a gig in mf3 and I anticipate it being more of a challenge in 4.5. And while realize that hiring a dedicated sound man is a reasonable solution- it isn't a financially sustainable solution...

I look forward to you imparting knowledge on my dilemma. Many thanks in advance!

Weogo

• Knight
Re: Ipad2 thunderbolt and mf classic vs 4.5
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »
Hi 1KidC,

Am pretty sure an Ipad-2 will run MF4.5.
It may be a bit laggy, but usable.  My Ipad-3 runs at similar speed to the Ipad-2.
My Ipad Air and Air-2s are definitely faster.
I suggest you try it.  If needed, you can go back to Classic.

To simplify what you see  - 
one way to do this is set access limits.
By default, when you hit L/R, a window pops up with all fourteen Auxes, Matrix outs, Groups, DCAs, etc.
On your Ipad you can block all the stuff you don't need, vastly simplifying what you actually see.
For instance, for tonight's show, all I need to see is five auxes and one DCA.  So all the others will be blocked in the section where one sets access limits.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
I'm still running Classic on my iPad 2, and want to do the upgrade as well. Based on the reports I've read on this forum & others, there is no way I'm doing it until I can afford to buy an iPad Air 2. This is the device that will operate lag-free with the current MF.
My DL has the old connection dock, so I'll always have an iPad 2 docked and will mix on the wifi connected Air 2.

As for Myfader, that half screen view came with an ios update (9.0?). So the only iPhones that will show it properly on the screen must have the older ios. This will never be fixed from what I've read.

Topsøe

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 08:33:19 PM »
I have both iPad 2 and Air 2 running MF 4.5.1 the air2 definitely faster but the iPad 2 hangs In , bit off lag when changin view but not a Big issue much better than With MF 3
If in doubt ask

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
I would not do the upgrade until you are ready with a more current iPad.
Since FOH takes precedence to your drummers monitor, don't upgrade your system to accommodate
one monitor send.  Keep using what you are comfortable with and let your drummer find a iPad
2 or 3 used on eBay.  You can even find older iPhones at great prices on eBay that will have the older
IOS system. 
If you upgrade to MF4 (4.5) and use the old iPad 3 you will hate to lag.
Your never to old to learn something stupid