Author Topic: Fee charged for sound services  (Read 3232 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Fee charged for sound services
« on: October 09, 2016, 05:28:58 PM »
I kind of referenced this topic in another post and it just struck home today.

I was playing a show last night (running sound from my drum seat) and had a guy come up and ask me
about the system. He said he was a bass player and needed a system for a show next month.  I told him to call
me today and he just called.  He proceeded to tell me he needed the following:
 4 monitor mixes
 6 drum mikes
 3 vox
 2 guitars
 1 keyboard
 1 bass
 backing tracks

OK nothing there I can't handle, but he wants me to provide everything top to bottom. Set up, mix
tear down.  4 hr. show about a 45 minute drive from home.  I asked him what he intended to pay for this service
and he felt $100.00 was about right.  frankly I didn't want to be nasty and tried to explain the amount of work
involved in the setup and cartage. I don't do this for a living so I tend to be very reasonable especially for people I  know and I wouldnt touch this for $100.00.  I told him to discuss it with his band mates that $200.00 was worth it for me.  Am I out of line ?

now, I do accept a minimum of $100.00 when I carry nothing but my iPad.  I show up, mix and go.  if they have a mackie DL it's ideal. if I need to bring the board it's an add.  the more I need to lug the higher the cost goes.

my question is....was $200.00 unreasonable ?
Your never to old to learn something stupid

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Fee charged for sound services
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 06:03:21 PM »
The market is infested with ankle biters who have driven prices down to that level in many areas. $200 is a bit low, that's about right just for the labor and drive IMO.

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
$200 would be the bare minimum for a medium sized bar gig, with lights I charge another $75 for a minimal setup. Lugging all the gear to a club, setting up, running the show, tearing down and going home is a long night and your equipment is getting abused.
45 min drive would also up the charge.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »
I'd never do any show for $100. It isn't worth my time. But most of the shows I do are much bigger, with fees running into the thousands.
Mackie Junkie

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Just tell him you'd have to give up a gig for $500 to accommodate him. That also would be continuous business. Are you crazy? Do you really need the details in $$ ?

Lorain Ohio may be on a different pay-scale than CA some adjustment may be required but not $200.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:28:46 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »
It really depends on what is the going rate in your area.  I know sound guys that won't do a 9-1 club gig for less than $250, but other guys whose band is off that night and will do an OK job for $100.
I would quote what it is worth to you.
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

Greg C.

• Forty-Two
  • Knight
    • Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:27:45 PM »
I wouldn't bring a roll of toilet paper for $100. The gear rental alone from music shop would far exceed that amount let alone your time and expertise which is even more important. I wouldn't even touch it for less than $300. I provide sound during the summer at a local park and our country fairgrounds for "Movies Under the Stars". I'm just reinforcing BluRay DVD playback, one wireless mic. I use a pair of Mackie SRM450s on sticks, one Rat Sound Subwoofer, XR18 mixer, and all the accessories for $400. And that's the price that was offered by the folks that do the event without having to haggle because they value my time and expertise. I think Mr. Dude's offer was dirt ball low and not worth entertaining at all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:32:38 PM by Greg C. »
Procrastinators of the World, Contemplate Uniting!

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
agree with all, there was no way I would waste my effort for his offer. For a mix only with no gear I charge more than that.  granted, my set up is small (very similar to yours), I got rid of the big boxes a few years ago.
Set up would be 1/2 hour since everything is prewired and color coded.

on the other hand, there are other people that are friends that I will mix for free as long as I don't have to haul stuff.  chances are I'm going out to see them anyway and rather than complain about the mix, I will help out. usually it leads to more paid jobs.  But a person I don't know, hauling gear for a first gig with some potential of additional work is not worth less than $200.

in this area they can get it for less with some of the local hacks or even rent the gear for $100.00 for the night.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:19:14 PM by Rdmitch »
Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »

in this area they can get it for less with some of the local hacks or even rent the gear for $100.00 for the night.

let them go down in flames because they were too cheap.

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after a cheap price is forgotten"