Author Topic: Hearing protection  (Read 1993 times)

Rdmitch

• Knight
Hearing protection
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »
Did not see this as a topic, if it's already here please excuse this duplication.

Like many other players/techs I have had tinnitus for a number of years and kind of just ignored it since it's not terrible and you just kind of get used to it.  I went and scheduled an appointment with a local audiologist for a hearing test since I have noticed it's a bit more difficult to distinguish soft voices a bit. Testing revealed a huge deterioration of high end (over 3k) at below 60db.  I guess after 45 years of speakers in my ears I should have expected this.
Point being, that whether your playing, mixing or just enjoying that front row seat...please don't disregard hearing protection. It can and will happen a bit at a time and will creep up virtually unnoticed. Even the sound filtering ear plugs( Eargasm, or similar) can cut out 15-25 db and prolong your hearing.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: Hearing protection
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
I whole heartedly agree with you. I played in loud bands for years and never even thought about my ears. I would come home after the gig and my ears would be ringing. Never once associated this with damaging my hearing. The ringing would eventually go away, so no worries. We are invincible as youths, aren’t we?

At about 48 or so (so long ago!) I developed tinnitus. It was annoying, but I got used to it. Now at 61 I can’t stand loud noises like going to weddings.  I have to literally leave the room to get some relief. I’ve been diagnosed with a hearing loss in both ears, one is more than the other. I’ve been using noise cancelling headphones for a while now when I DJ school dances and even cutting the grass.

I even use noise cancelling ear plugs for parties and weddings where I’m not gigging. They are a little more discreet and work a treat. No more added ringing and headaches now. The damage is done and the tinnitus is permanent, but with the judicious use of hearing protection now, I can hopefully preserve my hearing for a few more years yet.

Our hearing as musicians is extremely important either playing or running sound and should never be taken for granted. I still impress upon my 28-year-old son to turn that iPod down. To no avail. Ah well!  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

K-Dubber

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 06:05:06 AM »
Totally agree. The main reason I went for a dl was for the multiple Monitor mixes so everyone in my band can be happy with their in-ear mix and therefore have them set to a safe volume. I can't imagine ever playing or listening to live music without hearing protection these days. If I ever find myself somewhere with live music without my earplugs I have to leave.

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 05:03:59 AM »
I've been doing live sound since I was in high school. I took a sound class at that time, and the instructor impressed upon the class the importance of protecting our ears. That lesson has stuck with me all my life, and now, at age 58, as far as I know, I have no hearing loss. Now I'm the one teaching the younger generation about the importance of protecting their ears.
Mackie Junkie