Author Topic: MultiChannel WAV to multiple files for DL32R recordings for Mac and Linux  (Read 23019 times)

Aqntbghd

• Youngling
Hello,

I've been looking at options to convert recording done by the DL32R from the set of multi-channels wav files into a set of one file per channel. I also wanted to have a batch processing system so i can convert everything in one go and not involve complex drag'n'drop or risk of damaging the file. I've looked at doing that using the terminal and an wonderful tool called Sox. This tool is available on Linux machines and on Mac if you install MacPorts or HomeBrew. Once i had that i did some testing and managed to make a small shell script that will convert all files as expected. I'm attaching the script to this post, in hope it might help some people here.

To run it, just open Terminal, copy the script at the root of your DL32R disk drive (probably /Volumes/Untitled1) then cd into that folder and run ./convert-dl32R.sh you will have the file appearing in each recording folder named whatever_channel_14.wav Also ensure you have some spare space on the drive (at least 2 times the used space, as the script needs to some space to first merge the files in one HUGE file and then demux it)

Cheers,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:51:48 AM by Aqntbghd »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
in my humble opinion,
The Mackie DL32R should send individual mono wav files to the drive for multitrack recording,
not this extremely useless multichannel wav format that requires hours of tedious stitching and converting.
I would love to connect a drive and not have to use my Mac laptop and Digital Performer to make a multi-track recording, but I don't see that ever changing. :(

Aqntbghd

• Youngling
I completely agree with you : this is a major feature gap for this product. and some others have clearly understood that, look at the presonus integration between capture and studio-one and you'll see how far it can go (the recorded project has the plugins configuration os that when you open it in your DAW you have the plugins set as your channels). However i think we can make it better for Mackie. As an example, it is obvious that the D32R is actually running an embedded linux inside, how about they get the Sox library and code that change to write multiple files instead of one big multichannel one ? even if it is a write-only format, it could make it easier for a lot of us. I was also considering making this script into a small raspberry-Pi machine, so i could plug a hard drive to it and it would convert for me with no interaction. there are plenty of possible tricks there :)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
If you look at the MF4 manual legal disclaimer you will find that the recording/streaming software is Archwave's. I don't think Mackie has the expertise in house to do much with it. I have not found a disassembly of a DL32 but it most likely has the Archwave hardware to accomplish this.
When in doubt KISS

Topsøe

• Knight
OEM ARCHWAVE UREC2500 MODULE for DL32r
If in doubt ask

Aqntbghd

• Youngling
i'm ok that they integrate hardware and software from other providers (and it is well known that most audio companies are more marketing than dev these days). but even so, then might just need to pass on the requirement from their customers onto their suppliers of OEM. If it matters for the customer it matters for Mackie. Otherwise i'll end up buying a Presonus next time i need to update my gear ;)

PS: has anyone done a reverse-engineering of the dl32R ? i've spotted some linux filesystem for the update files in the masterfader app...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
It's based on an old version of uClinux.
http://www.uclinux.org/index.html
Or more specifically for the AD Blackfin CPU.
https://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=uclinux_on_blackfin
Haven't looked lately if they ever migrated to Buildroot.
https://buildroot.org/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:18:00 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: MultiChannel WAV to multiple files for DL32R recordings for Mac and Linux
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 04:13:44 AM »
It would be awesome to have the option to have a single wav per channel.  Wow, my life would become a lot less complicated as I record over 100 shows a year, bust them down into songs and that means a rough mix, and exporting from audacity, then opening the next multitrack file, setting the mixer settings to the same as for the last file's songs...  the stitch it together so there are no gaps.

Sigh

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 04:14:13 AM »
John,
I highly suggest using a laptop and record to it using your favorite DAW.

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
John,
I highly suggest using a laptop and record to it using your favorite DAW.

That's additional space, something else to setup and access to start recording with     
I used to record with a presonus fire studio and additional Adat da with a computer.
Part of the reason I went with the mackie was to eliminate that.

The mackie is so close to perfect

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »
If space is a issue and you have a current iPad that can dual task try Audia or some of the other DAW's for recording. Most record individual channels. You can probably do all you are currently doing in them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 06:07:58 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 06:01:53 PM »
If space is a issue and you have a current iPad that can dual task try Audia or some of the other DAW's for recording. Most record individual channels.

I get this. I've done thousands of shows where I have recorded the entire show using analog and daw.   It's fine it works okay. It's just more setup, and something else for people to have to remember to do, with room for errors.

But, the mackie records perfectly. The recordings direct to disk are fantastic.

If the developers would implement an option to record individual tracks to individual wav files, it would be a huge benefit to not just me.  I know more than a handful of people who upon finding out that mackie only did multiway format into small chunks (where they had to stitch them together because songs are split in the middle as it creates a new file) they went another way.  Lost revenue for mackie, and the image thing too as these people whine about it loudly.

I deal with it because of the convenient ability to record via the master Fader.   I don't have to step over to another computer to start it, don't have to worry about my MacBook crapping out again right before a show. I just start the recording.

My punishment is dealing with it in post =)

IF mackie would implement the option to do individual tracks, it would enable every small band to record in the normal way, send the wavs to someone else to mix and master. As it stands, no studio is going to take 2 hours of live music in multiwav and stitch it together, then mix it.  No pro studio... maybe home studios.

Kenny Chesney's sound guy, what's his name? Sidephil? Uses a dl32r for their backstage jams... working up new music. Ask him how valuable it would be to record a session and then take the drive and just import the whole session in individual wavs to be able to quickly isolate one song they want a scratch demo of....

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 01:51:10 AM »
I'm confused - is there not a simple program available to do that conversion?

My video cameras record .mts files in 2GB "chunks" and I found a simple program that stitches them together into a single file. I can then run a simple a conversion to MP4, with or without normalizing the audio and reducing the resolution (I usually go right to 720P30 - my cameras only record 1080i60).

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:00 AM »
I'm confused - is there not a simple program available to do that conversion?

My video cameras record .mts files in 2GB "chunks" and I found a simple program that stitches them together into a single file. I can then run a simple a conversion to MP4, with or without normalizing the audio and reducing the resolution (I usually go right to 720P30 - my cameras only record 1080i60).

Maybe someone can give us a simple process to do the following.

Convert several hours of dl32r recordings which are multitrack wav files, into individual channels, of one single wav with no gap in them.

I record from 18 to 26 channels at each show.

If I had 18 to 26 wav files that were gapless, that would rock.

My current process is using audacity, I load the first saved file, do my mix, then save each song to two track stereo.
Ultimately one song will be split to the next file.
So, write down the level of each channel, and the l/r pan

Load the next file, set the mix to what I wrote down, save the half song, then any other songs.

Load the first half of a split two track song and add the 2nd, remove the gap.

Adding effects, eq'ing etc, this way is a nightmare. 

I can't use protocols because I have lost my ilok dongle and don't have a backup.

I have 30-50 songs on each of these gigs.

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums