Author Topic: Wondering if I should upgrade my iPad 2  (Read 5057 times)

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
Wondering if I should upgrade my iPad 2
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:24:10 PM »
I have a DL1608 that I have been using as my bands main mixer that replaced a Mackie CFX12. It’s a simple mix with four vocal mics, three instruments, two to four drum mics and two to four monitors depending on the venue. Since I play keyboards, I do most of the configurations and hand the iPad to the singers spouse just to keep an eye on things.
I’ve been using the DL with an iPad 2 for about six months and things have been going well with very few problems including at least two Master Fader and OS upgrades. My first thought is to just leave well enough alone since things are going ok but after reading a few posts about some of the problems with MF 4.5 I may be thinking about upgrading my iPad.

What are some of the pros and cons to upgrading my iPad? The first thing I will need to address is changing to the lighting connector. It looks like I can either use an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adaptor, or a connector that Mackie seems to have.

Thoughts/recommendations?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:27:50 PM by Cobra Jet »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
Re: Wondering if I should upgrade my iPad 2
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:14:31 AM »
I'm still using iPad 2's - why "upgrade" if it's still working fine fine you?

James91104

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
why "upgrade" if it's still working fine fine you?
Because IMHO, the experience of reduced display lag, improved WiFi connection, iOS 10 compatibility is so much nicer for not just MF Classic, and in particular MF4, but as well for most any other manufacturer`s comparable HUI app.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:27:11 AM »
I recently purchased an iPad Pro 9.7 inch and it is balistic compared to any of the other iPads I have,
the response time is wonderful, and when I pick up one of the other iPads from one of the musicians, the difference is incredible.
If you can afford one of the ipad Pros with the A9X processor you won't be disappointed. :) 

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
I'm in a similar situation. I run MF Classic on an  old iPad 2.

I want to run the new software and effects, so I'm planning on picking up an iPad Air 2. I will continue to bring my old iPad 2 which will remain docked, and I'll mix remotely on the Air2.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:56 PM »
Highly recommended upgrade, once you,try the air or pro iPads you will wish you did it long ago.

The con is shelling out the bucks, but you will get a lot of other use from it as well.  Agree, keep the old one docked for music playback or emergency and the new one to hand off to the spouse.  Now you don't need the adaptor either since  the old ipad2 matches the 30 pin connector.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »
Would there be a conflict using two different iPads one docked and one wireless or would both function?

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 12:14:19 AM »
As long as their both running the same program ( MF4 or similar) it is no problem. I run my ipad3 docked and and wander the room holding my iPad air2.  No issue at all.  You can dock your new iPad if you want with the Mackie replacement plate or an adaptor cable.

The downside is you need to keep both updated
Upside is you can have someone running front of house mains and you can still walk over to then mixer and tweak  your monitors.

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 12:44:43 AM »
As long as their both running the same program ( MF4 or similar) it is no problem. I run my ipad3 docked and and wander the room holding my iPad air2.  No issue at all.  You can dock your new iPad if you want with the Mackie replacement plate or an adaptor cable.

The downside is you need to keep both updated
Upside is you can have someone running front of house mains and you can still walk over to then mixer and tweak  your monitors.

So I was just testing that out with my two iPad 2's and it working like you described.

Some questions:
I'm not noticing any lag time with my iPad 2 during my testing. Could that be because I'm only playing music from the docked iPad 2 and have just one signal coming into the mixer from my keyboard? Will I start to notice lag as I add more inputs?

If I do purchase an iPad Air 2 (what I can afford) is there a difference between the CPU of an older one and a new one straight from Apple?

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:08:49 AM »
I believe the iPad Air old and new are the same processors.

As far as the inputs, I really don't know... but there a tone of incredibly smart computer guys here that could answer that.  It's very possible that the older iPads just can't process a lot of input as fast as the new ones do and the more inputs you throw at it the worse it gets.  Overall the iPad airs and newer pros seem to work really well and the resolution is much better.  Plus the better, newer versions of iTunes don't run on the old iOS systems.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
In a lot of apps the iPad2 outperformed the iPad3 with Retina display due to the poor GPU performance. Details here on differences.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad
When in doubt KISS

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
Does anyone know the answer to this question?
I'm not noticing any lag time with my iPad 2 during my testing. Could that be because I'm only playing music from the docked iPad 2 and have just one signal coming into the mixer from my keyboard? Will I start to notice lag as I add more inputs?

Thanks

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:35:35 PM »
I also use an iPad2 with my 1608 and from my experience, there's no diff in the software function if I have only one channel or all 16 running.

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 10:06:37 PM »
I upgreaded my 30 pin to lightning.  Upgraded the tray.  Snagged a used 64gig ipad air 2.  Upgraded to 4.5.1.  Did my first show on the upgraded setup  last night 4 pc Bluegrass outfit from Colorado.   IPad 2 32 gig was the remote. 

There is no comparison between the air 2 and the '2'.  The 2 is glitchy and slow.  Not worthless.  It works but after comparing, there is no way I'll be using the 2 again.  Another ipad air 2 in my future...

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »
Update:
We had a show last week and I decided to test out my wife’s iPad Mini 2. I noticed a decent difference in performance over my current iPad 2. I was not a fan of the smalls form factor but I'm older with bad eyes.
I think I’ve decided to get either an iPad Air 2 or a Pro and use the old iPad in the dock to play music.

Thanks to all that provided advice.