Author Topic: Wondering if I should upgrade my iPad 2  (Read 5058 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: Wondering if I should upgrade my iPad 2
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 03:44:12 AM »
I use a wide array of iThings...  iPad Pro for FOH mix, iPad Air 2 on my mic stand to control my in ears and when I do run sound from the stage sometimes. iPad 2 for my keyboard player, iPad 3 as a backup. Guitarists use iPhone 5 and 6 for their monitor mixes.

There is no comparison between the pro and any other device. Never a glitch, never lag... very large control surface for finite adjustments - turn it to portrait mode and the sliders are bigger than my old consoles!

The iPad Air 2 is second best. Performance is awesome.

Great battery life on both of those even in full brightness on a sunlit day.

The iPad 2 is "okay". It works. It just lags a bit. I could not use it for FOH regularly for fear of it not responding instantly. It runs the latest iOS that can be loaded on it, and NOTHING else. It has been setup for maximum performance.   It runs better on my dl1608 than my dl32r.

Ipad3 - meh. This thing has been disappointing. Running brightness up on it severely impacts the battery life. I can barely get a full show if in daylight (I usually run them unlocked and display on for 30 mins before a show, and then we might play two hours, or they might be on upwards of 4 hours.

The 3 also has really sketchy wifi, it will disconnect and have to re sync, sometimes within 30ft line of sight of the AP, the others have zero problems in the same environment.

If you can swing it financially, and want the best experience, get the pro.   If not, or if you don't want something so huge, get the iPad Air 2....

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 04:01:59 AM »
I use an Air 2 and a Mini 2 and both have been very stable. Have a Mini (1) and iPad 2 that still function, but nowhere near as flawlessly as the two newer models.

I use the Mini (1) for playback on the dl1608 sometimes, and the iPad 2 is great for viewing docs like lyric or cue sheets, stage plots, or set lists.  I do bring them for musicians to run their own IEM mix if they forgot their iPhone or charger or something.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 05:08:28 AM »

There is no comparison between the pro and any other device. Never a glitch, never lag... very large control surface for finite adjustments - turn it to portrait mode and the sliders are bigger than my old consoles!

The iPad Air 2 is second best. Performance is awesome.

OK you've got me. I was planning on getting an Air2 this month. I just looked at iPad Pro's, and they're much lower cost that I thought.

One question, I walk around all night with my old iPad 2 clutched in my left hand. How is the weight of the Pro, and is it relatively easy to hold with one hand?

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
I've never really had a weight issue with any of my iPads.  My 3 has decent battery life and works fine with MF3, Presonus SL Remote and Soundcraft visit remote.   MF 4.5 needs more HP than those other apps and the iPad Air 2 is fine.  I just snagged a 64 gig at&t LTE version for $340 in a Craigslist deal.  The PDX CL has a bunch of them between $350 and $400.  16 g and wifi is around $200 ...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:22:47 AM by 4mal »