Author Topic: Dan Dugan Automixer ??  (Read 6649 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Dan Dugan Automixer ??
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
Is the implementation of the XR series a Dan Dugan algorithm? The short answer is NO.
Is there a automixer implemented in the XR series? Yes. Most likely from Eurocom’s product line. A company absorbed by Behringer. This has been discussed even before the code was released.  Yes, Greg T. you are quite correct on that other  forum. Here in chronological order are the posts. If I were Dan Dugan I would advise Behringer to implement his algoithm or stop using his name (false advertising).
5/15/2015
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6986-XR18-latest-software-release-(4-16-2015)-question/page3&highlight=automixer
5/18/15
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?7308-X-Air-Live-Toolbox-with-Automix/page2&highlight=automixer
10/23/2016
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?12819-Behringer-Automix/page2&highlight=automixer
11/1/2016
http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?12797-Automixer-does-not-function-as-advertised&highlight=automixer
I stopped posting on Behringers forum for some time now. Story to follow when I have time. My major contention with Behringer is the lack of a manual and customer support on the forum. A 79 pg. WiKi is not a manual and is not current. Automix has a few sentences describing the controls but no explanation of the method which appears to be a gating implementation.
The XR series is a great hardware implementation tarnished by a lack of prompt software support and documentation. Software wise I recommend Dave Schumann’s Android app, a third party app. Forums may help with the lack of documentation.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:49:48 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Dan Dugan Automixer ??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
Well Jan Duwe of Behringer finally decided to give some insights to the "Dan Dugan like" method used in the XR series. It is claimed that it is a gain based method with modification and bugs. It's sad that so much prodding is required to finally get a glimpse of what should have been a great selling point for the XR. I bought mine regrettably for just that reason over a X32 rack. Yes RR the software and customer support sucks.
Jan also admits that he never used "Dugan" in the advertising, so what is this from their web site?

"Revolutionary Dugan*-style Auto-Mixing automatically manages microphone gain sharing "

Nothing more than the classic marketing scam of misleading product branding.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:43:25 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
I stopped posting on Behringers forum for some time now. Story to follow when I have time.
Do tell :mrgreen:

Yamanaka

• Initiate
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
What do I want to do, what do I need to do to get the best results?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:12:57 AM »
Pray a lot.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:59 AM »
Well Jan Duwe of Behringer finally decided to give some insights to the "Dan Dugan like" method used in the XR series. It is claimed that it is a gain based method with modification and bugs. It's sad that so much prodding is required to finally get a glimpse of what should have been a great selling point for the XR. I bought mine regrettably for just that reason over a X32 rack. Yes RR the software and customer support sucks.
Jan also admits that he never used "Dugan" in the advertising, so what is this from their web site?

"Revolutionary Dugan*-style Auto-Mixing automatically manages microphone gain sharing "

Nothing more than the classic marketing scam of misleading product branding.
Well I see their Language changed to "based on Legendary Dan Dugan" Uh'm.  ;D
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »
Well Dan Dugan finally told them to stop using his name since he had nothing to do with it. Yeah Dan.
At least to Musicianspro Sean Thomas, who by the way makes much more informative videos than Behringer (sorry Phil you need a better script writer).

Dan Dugan
1 year ago
Please don't use my name to describe a process that isn't mine.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:04:39 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS