Author Topic: Help with ballpark performance figures for iPad models.  (Read 1795 times)

Cobra Jet

• Padawan
Help with ballpark performance figures for iPad models.
« on: October 31, 2016, 08:07:18 PM »
I’ve been kicking around upgrading my current iPad 2 that I use exclusively for my DL1608. It currently has only the Master Fader 4.51 app installed and I would likely continue that setup if I purchased an upgrade. As I mentioned on a previous post, I’m not noticing any lag time but since I play keyboards and hand the iPad to our singers spouse to simply keep an eye on it for us we may not notice the same problems as a pro sound guy might. I do like the option that someone previously mentioned that if I get a second iPad and can dock my current one to play music and use the new one to control the mix.

Below are some of the details between the models I have discovered. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what performance gain I might see with just the Master Fader 4.51 between the different models. I doubt I would consider an iPad 3 since it can’t run the latest OS

http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

Model      CPU   OS      Benchmark Overall   Percent Increase over iPad 2
iPad 2      A5       9.x     333                            XXXX
iPad 3      A5X     9.x     326                           -2.10%
iPad 4      A6X     10.x   803                           141.14%
iPad Air    A7      10.x    1308                          292.79%
iPad Air2  A8X    10.x    1783                          435.44%
iPad Pro   A9X    10.x    2933                          780.78%
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:10:52 PM by Cobra Jet »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Help with ballpark performance figures for iPad models.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:41:21 PM »
As I suspected and subsequently proven even back then the iPad 3 is the poorest performer of the bunch.
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Help with ballpark performance figures for iPad models.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 11:11:49 PM »
.....which is why I ended up with 2 of them 😖

In all seriousness, I found that while I would've liked the iPad pro, the Air 2 (NOT the regular 2) is perfect
for this application and fits into my case better than the larger pro. 
I can't see buying the iPad Air 2 and not using it for other apps as well.  There are nice DB meters, frequency analyzers and apps that would be very beneficial to call up while your mixing.  Plus the calendar and notepad are good for keeping your schedule handy. 

I said the same thing, I'll get the ipad air2 for the DL exclusively...and here I am doing everything else on it.
Your never to old to learn something stupid