Author Topic: First oddity with DL32R and MF 4.5.2 - SLOW fader response?  (Read 4244 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
First oddity with DL32R and MF 4.5.2 - SLOW fader response?
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:53:18 PM »
Okay, this is the worst bug report ever because I didn't get a chance to play with anything on the system as this happened during a show.

The first clue something was wrong was when the guitarist was too loud in our ears (IEM).

Okay, that's not unusual at all, but what was odd was the singer, who's hands are free, pops over to my iPad which is on a mic stand mount in front of me, changes to his aux view.
He slides the fader for the guitarist down - it doesn't turn the noise down in his ears.   
The VU meter is still up high... (it's not frozen, it's just not dropping)

I switch to my view (have to stop playing bass), and do the same thing... fader goes down, volume stays up....

However, it did lower the volume - eventually.   Serious lag.  Like, the mixer reacted many SECONDS behind the fader movement.

Not sure if this was that iPad that was wigging out or something going on with the DL32R.

WiFi Signal was full scale (my iPad is within 10ft of the mixer and the AP.

Our FOH audio tech said that their iPad reacted smoothly.   Nowwwww, maybe they just mean that the fader moved smoothly - I don't know if was affecting the volume instantly, or lagging behind like it was on stage.

This was a pretty big show and during my breaks I could not mess with the system at all, I needed to be doing other things, so I did not try to reboot the system or the iPad (besides, we were playing music during the breaks and people were dancing - no time) and there was no time after the show.

I will get a chance tomorrow to work with this system again, unfortunately, it's at another show.

Anyone else seen this type of behavior?

The only other strange thing was the power light on the DL32R was flashing red after startup a week or so back.  Powering down and back up brought it up as normal.

Are there logs that are accessible?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
Re: First oddity with DL32R and MF 4.5.2 - SLOW fader response?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 12:10:18 AM »
Ugh! Nothing like happening at a big venue and very frustrating too! 

I guess I'm not qualified to report on this bug since I am running a DL1608, but I haven't noticed a lag or lack of response like that with latest version of MF. If you're using an Air or Air2 or even iPad Pro, theoretically it shouldn't happen. I did notice a quite a bit of lag when I had my old iPad 2, but since using the Air 2 it's all smooth sailing so far. Fingers crossed!

Other than rebooting the iPad in question or a complete system restart, not an option in your situation obviously except  maybe during a break, if possible, to see if it clears up, I can't think of any other suggestions. Sorry!  :-[ Is it possible to test before the next show at the venue?

8)

Maybe our other learned colleagues here can come up with some possible fixes for you?
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »
Wow! I'm assuming you are running a standalone DL32 not an Axis setup. Unless you were streaming break music from your iPad there was no reason not to reboot the iPad (20-20 hindsight). I still believe that integrating Axis into MF was a bad idea by Mackie. This may be the tip of the iceberg for future issues.
When in doubt KISS

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:59:53 AM »
Keyboard Magic is right on target with his answer.
Please tell us what series iPads you are using for FOH and on stage and we can be of better help.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »

I will get a chance tomorrow to work with this system again, unfortunately, it's at another show.

John did any of the issues reappear at this show?
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 04:51:15 PM »

John did any of the issues reappear at this show?

Sorry it took so long to get back with you... Been busy beyond belief!

The good news is - no more lag. I believe it was that particular iPad Air 2... I gave it a serious talking to, reboots, etc.

But now I have to get this particular mixer into our studio and test it because channel 14 (used for my drummer's floor tom) was VERY LOW on input.  Plug the same mic and cable into channel 13 and all was fine....   I double checked the gain and trim, and even copied the working channel 13 to channel 14 to see if that fixed it.. Nope.    Last time I had a level issue, it was a ribbon cable that had come loose.  Sure hope that channel is not toast. =(

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 04:52:48 PM »
Wow! I'm assuming you are running a standalone DL32 not an Axis setup. Unless you were streaming break music from your iPad there was no reason not to reboot the iPad (20-20 hindsight). I still believe that integrating Axis into MF was a bad idea by Mackie. This may be the tip of the iceberg for future issues.

No axis involved here....   And during the breaks, we DJ for the line dance peeps, so there can be no reboot.    This show was far too important to be messing around with gear.  sigh