Author Topic: Anyone buy a 1608 power supply lately?  (Read 7572 times)

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
Anyone buy a 1608 power supply lately?
« on: December 29, 2016, 01:54:24 PM »
During a recent gig, my power supply died. Luckily I carry a backup, but I noticed that its cable is starting to pull out of the supply exposing the wires just a bit. Hoping someone has bought an ebay/amazon type recently and can share the link. Thanks!

Rdmitch

• Knight
Re: Anyone buy a 1608 power supply lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that, I bought a spare 4 yrs ago when I bought the mixer. Have never needed it or even used it.
Smart move having the spare, everyone should carry one in the case.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
This is actually the second power supply that has gone out. Anyone with a recent link?  I couldn't find any type of receipt for my last purchase and I can't remember the barrel size. 

As an aside, I still love this mixer, and use it 50 to 80 times a year. I've worked on the Behringer as well  qSC's touch mix, but Mackies master Fater app has them all beat in terms of layout and ease of use for me as a duo or four piece group where I do all the mixing while playing. I do like the new updated QSC touch mix feedback elimination as well as a set up utility for ringing out your monitors automatically which would come in handy with some of the short set up times that we all have. I just am not looking for a large form factor board like that, if it was available in a rack  unit without faders I might just make the jump,

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »
I have this for my spare, but also have never had to use it.

http://www.alliedelec.com/sl-power-ault-condor-menb1060a1203f01/70025167/

hope that helps

jp

barrynz

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
I initially investigated adapting a standard DC power supply with a suitable adapter, but ended up going with this, despite the cost of freighting to New Zealand.....
https://www.amazon.com/UpBright-Global-Adapter-Digital-Charger/dp/B00FYK67FI

Never had to use it, but obviously feel happy to have a spare handy if ever required......

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:06:48 PM »
I'm not crazy about the output connector on those generic supples.  No locking.  I suppose if it a spare then you could temp in some kinda strain relief but 'd rather have the locking ring...

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 12:25:51 AM »
I'm not crazy about the output connector on those generic supples.  No locking.  I suppose if it a spare then you could temp in some kinda strain relief but 'd rather have the locking ring...

True that. I usually tie even the original one with the locking ring to one of the XLR outputs with the velcro tie that I use to keep it coiled anyway.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:01:00 AM »
Turns out that the locking ring can cause intermittent power, better off without it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:03:25 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

redwood

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
Turns out that the locking ring can cause intermittent power, better off without it.

Well I just discovered that interesting twist myself.

A bit of history. I have had a Mackie SRM350v2 for awhile that has always been the canary in the coal mine for interconnect ground issues, noise and the like. This is true for the DL1608 and my Crest XR20 which I use for my house sound gig. The 350 always hums a bit or has some kind of noise going on so when connected to just about anything other than a mic, so I stopped using it for gigs and just kept it as a keyboard amp for rehearsal. Quiet enough for that application.

So tonight I have a gig and it's been while since I used the 1608 so I started setting up my show and testing. Hooked up the SRM350 to main outs and heard some line noise - like computer digital hash and the like. Figured it was the 350 so I disconnected it and hooked up a Behringer  B110, noise is gone. Figured hypothesis was confirmed, but I dug deeper. Plugged the 350 back in and using a ground lift cord I have and the noise went away.

Hmmmm.....could this be noise on the power supply ground, I thought? after manipulating the locking ring a bit and noticing some noise attenuation (but not elimination) I decided to try my backup PSU (which is made by Condor, and rated for medical devices) and it's dead quiet.

That appears to confirm that the locking ring may be more trouble than it's worth, to me anyway. Tonight I'm using my backup. Gaff tape already packed.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 04:30:16 AM »
Long time ago I realized that the ground return was connected to the signal ground in the power supply hence the change to an isolated supply. Noise gone. Lots of discussion on this forum on the subject.
When in doubt KISS

barrynz

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I find this interesting......  Shortly after purchasing and starting to use my DL806, I noticed the 'digital noise/static' issue....(interestingly I DIDN'T notice it the first couple of uses....different venues etc).... It was really apparent on the Aux 1 output feeding a Behringer Powered Monitor.......almost non existent on Main outputs and Aux 2.  The quickfix on the night was an earth lift on the Behringer Monitor power supply (*shudder) and the long term fix proved to be a balanced TRS cable from mixer to Behringer Monitor. The main outputs already use balanced XLR Cables and Aux 2 is a short ( 1 metre) unbalanced cable.

Sometimes a very faint 'digital noise/static' is still apparent on the Main Outputs...(probably different quality of power supply at different venues..)...but it is very faint and not noticeable a foot or so away from the speaker, nor when in use....so not an issue.

I will test with my spare power supply from Amazon, mentioned earlier in this thread and see if things change.... As well, re reading these comments, I will replace the short unbalanced Aux 2 cable with a balanced one.

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 08:56:33 PM »
Not sure if it was mentioned above but FullCompass has a good replacement supply that has the threaded locking barrel connector.  I reall it being around $40 shipped to me.  I now carry a spare in the mixer bag.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 10:15:10 PM »
Skip the locking connector it is the cause of some of the power supply problems.
When in doubt KISS

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 01:54:19 AM »
Just finished a 3 day festival and used this all weekend without any issues. https://www.amazon.com/UpBright-Global-Adapter-Digital-Charger/dp/B00FYK67FI

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:28:51 AM »
Hi Folks,

I ordered the EventBright power supply from Amazon.
On the web it shows a three-prong, grounded plug.
(And if you scroll across, a two-prong as well.)

It came with a two prong, un-grounded plug, and the body of the unit is two-wire, so no ground.

The Mackie power supply is grounded.

For mic cables I prefer the shortest ground path.
I'm returning this adapter, and getting one that is grounded.

This looks like a good choice:
 http://www.mini-box.com/60w-12v-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter

Or this one, with a common IEC AC connector:
 https://www.allelectronics.com/item/ps-1262/12-vdc-5-amp-power-supply/1.html

Thanks and good health,  Weogo