Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Newbie question

<< < (2/3) > >>

stevegarris:
I also use the Airport Express. I have had connection difficulties, but have also found solutions. I was able to change settings in the Airport Express Utility, to enable better connections around large crowds with cell phones. Most often, if I'm having a problem, a quick reboot of the iPad will fix it. You can do this while running a show. I suggest nothing less than an iPad Air 2 for best performance.

jpdennis:

--- Quote from: dpdan on January 03, 2017, 10:24:07 PM ---Welcome to the forum Dennis and Happy New Year!

Congrats on your DL purchase.
I use an Apple Airport Express and it is WONDERFUL!

If, and I say if you have any issues with connection being unreliable I highly suggest either an Apple Airport Express or Airport Extreme.
If you purchase one of these, you should download the free Apple App called Airport Utility, it is great for setting up the router without a bunch of nightmares and headaches.
Dan

--- End quote ---

I am still concerned about security and 2.4Ghz conflicts.  Can you set the channelwidth to 20MHz if necessary?  I have read that Cisco and Apple are collaborating (or at least Apple is allowing code sharing) to provided seamless connectivity and better connectivity.

--- Quote from: stevegarris on January 04, 2017, 05:58:20 PM ---I also use the Airport Express. I have had connection difficulties, but have also found solutions. I was able to change settings in the Airport Express Utility, to enable better connections around large crowds with cell phones. Most often, if I'm having a problem, a quick reboot of the iPad will fix it. You can do this while running a show. I suggest nothing less than an iPad Air 2 for best performance.

--- End quote ---

Usually the saturation of 2.4GHz devices cause most of the conflicts even if they are not connected.  Cell phones, laptops, and even the "cordless" base-station phones.  Have you used 5GHz with any luck with say a 150 ft distance form the base station?

Thanks all,

Dennis

dpdan:
no frills no bull.
this is a pretty large arena called Scott Trade Center (Home of the Blues Hockey team) I did a job in using the DL32R and an Apple Airport Extreme...
NO ISSUES
Remember to click on the icon after you start the video so you can watch the video in full screen with better screen resolution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjI66lr-jWQ

JohnMHoyt:
I have a friend of mine who uses a directional antenna from his wireless AP, pointed right at his primary FOH mix position, and he uses a pair of repeaters on either side of the stage too.   
He's used to doing large production events with 10000-100000 people (festivals to football games) and he is very concerned about losing temporary control of his systems.
Now he's not using Mackie all the time, but he has a lot of controls that rely on wifi.... Everything from DMX lighting to big LED video display arrays, it's all controlled via wifi.

He uses 2.4GHz unlicensed spectrum for compatibility and the lack of need for frequency coordination.

I helped him design his system from easily replaceable components, and he keeps a spare set of everything.  At one event, he had to deploy all 4 repeaters to get full coverage of an arena, so now he has added 2 more, just in case it ever happens again.   

Yes, there are better solutions - you don't have to use 2.4/5GHz, but it sure makes life easier if you are using iPads and other off the shelf tablets and you don't want dongles/radios hanging off of them.

In his situation the biggest concern is not just losing control, it's about someone using his systems as a means of broadcasting propaganda or hate or the like...

Hijacking of a system at a major event could be awesome you know.  A person intent on doing so could seize control over a wirelessly controlled mixer (they have to break the encryption, but that's not impossible), using the correct mixer software (and if there are access limits in place, bypass those) then they have to know a channel (frequency) of a wireless mic that they can use for their input.  Then they have to overpower the actual mic if it is an FM system (capture effect will let the strongest signal win).   It's a lot of steps to make happen, but people have done even more elaborate things, like seizing a satellite =)

For us - our biggest fear is high RF from all the similar devices in our spectrum.   Therefore, have the best AP you can get, the stronger signal will usually win - and know a place you can run to that is direct line of sight to reestablish your connection.

Also, use a strong encryption key, don't be like the church I was at for an evaluation where their wifi was wide open and within 1 minute of getting there, I demonstrated how anyone could ruin their service.

Weogo:
Hi Folks,

High powered routers may be great for getting signal TO your Ipad, but this doesn't boost your Ipad's transmit power.

A better router probably has a little better receiver section, but
at a certain point, forget higher powered units and do like John and go distributed.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version