Author Topic: Soundcraft a Home Run ?  (Read 8289 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Soundcraft a Home Run ?
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »
NAMM as usual is the platform for announcement of most new gear and Soundcraft wants to be in the lower end game here. The Ui24R is their new addition to this. Addressing all the usual complaints the rest of the players seem to have this should be quite a seller. RR you finally got your 20+ channels !! Here are the marketing specs.
http://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/ui24r
Taking a page from the B... playbook we have Studer DESIGNED pre's. Read between the lines, but probably quite good for it's class. Dual band WiFi and Dual recording of 24 channels (memory device AND DAW). HTML 5 app that will eliminate all that confusion about devices. Form factor for rack or stage box. RTA,  many FX's and feedback suppression. Just no "Dugan style NOM". Two Digitech Guitar/amp modeling inputs and a assignable  foot switch. Might just pick one up down the road. The devil as usual is in the details like the price.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:37:29 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

iwerica

• Youngling
Re: Soundcraft a Home Run ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
it has everything i need. if not expensive, my dl1608 will become backup...but it will never be sold :)

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
This is looking to be a pretty cool board, but I'm confused about the mixing app. Do you have to have the board to look at or demo the app?

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
RR you finally got your 20+ channels !!
Has to be 2U to interest me. My XR12 is getting used a lot :) . I'm hoping for a Mackie DL1608R soon...

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »
RR you finally got your 20+ channels !!
Has to be 2U to interest me. My XR12 is getting used a lot :) . I'm hoping for a Mackie DL1608R soon...
That's when you have a 2U beard. Besides they're into Big Knobs these days.
When in doubt KISS

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 03:14:10 AM »
The html5 app is nice , only so far as i can see in demo mode u have to push a lot of buttons to get to dyna/eq
Layout of the mackie app is far better

For the term home run: only the gadgets are nice
For the app is a 3 strike out
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:17:14 AM by Ampli »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »
The html5 app is nice , only so far as i can see in demo mode u have to push a lot of buttons to get to dyna/eq
Layout of the mackie app is far better

For the term home run: only the gadgets are nice
For the app is a 3 strike out
Maybe you could be more specific in your evaluation. So far the only ones that struck out are your comments. As to the "gadgets" as you call them they are deal makers for others.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 07:20:05 AM »
Sweetwater pre-order price is $995. Behringer had to drop pricing on the X32R ($999) to meet it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:22:19 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 01:14:31 PM »
 Competition is always good. I love my dl32r and this addresses some of the wants that are missing.
Another entry into this field should keep Mackie in development mode.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
I found the HTML app very intuitive and easy to navigate. Not as nice maybe as MF but still pretty good. It’s also nice that you can run the app on a Windows laptop and connect via a CAT5 cable if the wireless becomes flaky.

The dual band built in wireless should make a big difference, though. I just hope they’ve cured the “reported” noisy pre-amps that were an issue for some owners of the Ui12 and 16 in this new model.  :)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »
I found the HTML app very intuitive and easy to navigate. Not as nice maybe as MF but still pretty good. It’s also nice that you can run the app on a Windows laptop and connect via a CAT5 cable if the wireless becomes flaky.

The dual band built in wireless should make a big difference, though. I just hope they’ve cured the “reported” noisy pre-amps that were an issue for some owners of the Ui12 and 16 in this new model.  :)
I actually like the workflow of the UI better than Mackie's. The very reason I didn't pick up a Ui before was because of the reported poor pre's. I wouldn't recommend a Ui12 or 16 because of that and the single frequency WiFi. If the Studer folks had their hand in the pre's they will be much better. Anyone that has mixed on a Vi console will tell you that. HTML will make the "which tablet" issue vanish. The "lots of buttons" complaint is nonsense.
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the compression demo doesn't really function. You can move the sliders but I don't see that a comp is kicking in. Will the the comp meters be red like on every other board?

It's missing a parametric EQ on the main out, but sub groups have them.

(4) Effects is nice. I've always wanted a chorus effect. Also love the "Mute FX" button.

As far as ease of operation, I thought is was very good, and feel I could get used to it after 1 gig. I like the swipe to move left right (like DL),

The More Me button and operation is interesting. Does anyone know how to change the channel assignments?

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
Alas, to even get a physical look at one, as per Sound Craft's website, it won't be available until April this year.  :( Ah well! The way the time is going, that won't be too long now!  :mrgreen:
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »
As in ALL demo's without the mixer it's a poor representation of the functioning unit. No-one is going to write a Dl or X-- or Ui simulator. The parametrics are part of the AFS2 function on the outputs. Best to see a fully functioning unit before making buy decisions. If you notice this is the demo for the Ui16 not the Ui24r.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:22:44 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS