Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL32R wonky inputs/outputs - static, low or no signal - a fix

(1/2) > >>

JohnMHoyt:
Months back I lost the left main on my DL32R...   There was very little signal there, while the right was fine.
I called Mackie and for a temp fix, we discussed routing the left main to one of the aux outs in the matrix - which worked great.

Then I performed their suggested fix - unrack that thing, rip it apart and re-seat the ribbon cables. Which fixed that output.

Since then, we picked up noise on one of the drum channels, thought it was a bad cable, so changed that out and still had the noise.   Ended up changing to another input on the mixer and all was well. We just had to remember that input 14 was not to be used.... No biggie....

A couple rehearsals ago, a girl that sings with us shows up to sing and that input was now not working.  input 5... Changed the cable and moved her to another one and all was well....
Tried it at a show and same thing...

Also, when I had hooked up computer to the system at the previous rehearsal, there was some distortion on input 29...  Figured it was a crappy 1/8" to 1/4" cable or splitter.

So today, yanked the DL32R out of the rack and tested the inputs with a signal generator.     5, 14 and 29 all had various issues.   
5 was so weird that with a mic cable plugged into it and nothing to the other end, just moving the cable would create noise on that channel.
14 was slightly distorted, a higher level signal would crack, but lower levels were fuzzy.
29 was just the same as its mate, 30, but static.

I unplugged ribbon cables and plugged them back in a couple times.

Now it seems to be working just fine again.

I don't know if it is oxidation that is causing it, but I don't think they are working themselves loose. They are tightly in their sockets.

Now this system does get moved - A LOT... 2 and 3 shows a week and a rehearsal is not unusual, plus it runs sound for some other bands and events at times.  We do NOT manhandle it. It's in a rotomolded rack, not shock absorbed, but always carried by me, by hand. It rides in the back of a luxury SUV, not a trailer.

Anyway, if anyone else has low or no input or output, or noise, you might try this.   I attached a pic of the insides, nothing to be afraid of here.  Just inconvenient.

WK154:
It's nothing more than the love/hate relationship with 3M cables (flat grey) that Mackie has never been able to overcome since the CR1604 (analog). Solution???  :) A different connection system.

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: WK154 on January 26, 2017, 01:19:22 AM ---It's nothing more than the love/hate relationship with 3M cables (flat grey) that Mackie has never been able to overcome since the CR1604 (analog). Solution???  :) A different connection system.

--- End quote ---

I've got plenty of communications gear in mobile setups that use the exact same interconnects, and they don't seem to have this type of issue.  I don't know if the mackie problem is with the connectors, or maybe in how they crimp them (maybe it is distorting them) or if there is some oxidation issue. I didn't look closely, as in with digital imaging or even a magnifying glass, but I didn't SEE any oxidation with my middle aged eyes.

Peebo:
Wow,lots of empty space in there. I think they could have designed it so it could fit into a shallower rack.

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: Peebo on January 26, 2017, 02:33:00 PM ---Wow,lots of empty space in there. I think they could have designed it so it could fit into a shallower rack.

--- End quote ---

Without question...   They could have turned the IO board sideways and moved everything up 3 inches.   Or, they could have stacked a few components and made it shallow rack size.  Wow that would have been nice, I mean, it's taking up rack spaces anyway, might as well go UP with it since it tapers down in the back.

Set setup would be the Mackie DL32R and 3 of the in-ears with a combiner, and power conditioner, all in a shallow rack. I currently have to have all that in a deep rack.
Then an identical shallow rack for my wireless mics, combiner and power conditioner, and then everything would look sexy and consistent while fitting my car easier!

Oh well, I'm probably not the target market. =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version