Author Topic: this place is dead man :)  (Read 8045 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: this place is dead man :)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 08:54:57 PM »
Ui24R, it has 20 XLR inputs, Soundcraft,,,, the model name should have been Ui20R.

yea yea yea, those incredibly reliable RCA inputs and "play" USB accounts for the other four inputs.
they should have,,, nevermind, sorry I couldn't help my sarcasm.
I had a Soundcraft console back in the day and that thing wore me out constantly having to re-solder chinsey connections on potentiometers, which is why I still hold a grudge with that company.   

At least the Mackie DL32R has 32 XLR inputs.
I am reasonably confident that this Soundcraft mixer will do a good job though, I just don't like the model NUMBER,
but in all honsety, I think it was Mackie years ago making a 24 channel mixer and giving it 16 XLR inputs and four stereo "line" inputs, then everyone started creating
24 channel mixers without 24 XLR inputs, and 16 channel mixers without 16 XLR inputs and so on... I am proud of Mackie for calling the DL32R what it is.       
At least this place isn't dead anymore  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:00:56 PM by dpdan »

robmcl

• Padawan
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 11:06:56 PM »
Hello again guys,
I'm thinking of buying a used, out of warranty DL1608/806, and converting it into a 19" rack mounted version......

I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a dl32. :)   My 1608 is available for sale!
PM me

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 03:33:24 AM »
Hi KM,

Ui24R does not have parametric filters on L/R or Aux outs, though four sub-groups have parametric EQ.
Graphics haven't been my cup of tea for more than a decade.
My 01V96 from 2003 has parametrics on all outputs!

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Hello again guys,
I'm thinking of buying a used, out of warranty DL1608/806, and converting it into a 19" rack mounted version......

When you do, get it copyrighted, then submit your designs to Mackie for a tidy sum. Maybe they'll get off the pot and mass produce a new DL courtesy of you. I'd buy one!  :thu:

Truth to tell, I've been considering the new not yet to market SoundCraft Ui24R. Ah the shame of it all!  :facepalm:

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
We’ve all got to use what works for us. I’m holding off on any comments on the Ui24R until I can actually get one to try out. For what I do, it might be what I need. You never know.

"To each according to his or her need (or needs)"  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 07:10:11 PM »
The UI series would present me with an extra hurdle during setup at every gig....
Where could I hide it and still be able to plug stuff in.
Man it's fugly!!!
😉
The older I get, the better I was!

Drumrolls

• Youngling
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
Thanks Dpdan.  I saw the tutorials... We're great value.  My first freak out was recording a gig that was marred buy glitches that were caused by being placed too close to an amp :(.... Live and learn

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »
being too close to an amplifier should not have any negative results in the recording if it was being recorded to a hard drive,...
unless it was too close to a subwoofer. :)
that can for sure mess things up especially if it is not a solid state drive.

PeterKorg

• Padawan
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2017, 06:36:31 AM »
Re. electric drums, I would take an output from each drum just like if you were micing a regular set.
If you are short on inputs you can group them into a few inputs such as: kick, toms,cymbals,snare.
You will need some degree of control better than 1 total kit input. Not only for your main feeds but monitors will become a huge issue with electric drums. Since the other players on stage will no longer have a acoustic kick and snare they can hear, it will be necessary to put drums in their monitors or to a central monitor on stage.

As a drummer that does on occasion use Roland V-drums I find if I can't monitor the drums right on stage, I would prefer not even to try to use them live. I run a keyboard amp on stage for just the drums ( Roland k-500)
So I can be sure they are heard by everyone.

Another problem with electric drums on stage is that your drummer will most certainly have a few programs he/she likes to use for different sounds. If these sounds are programmed with different volumes on the instruments,  every time they switch programs you will need to reset your faders so the mix will be proper.
Once they set up their programs, spend a lot of time normalizing each one so they all have the same basic volume on key elements like kick, snare, cymbals, and toms.

Our drummer just changed to a hybrid kit, and uses triggers and Roland brain, so we tried a few things, the best so far is from the brain outputs, actually named on the back kick, snare, and toms, I use those three into the DL 1608. They are unbalanced jacks so we use DI boxes. Still micing up the hi-hats. One thing we had to do on the brain is assign the drums to these outputs. But seems to work ok. And re the levels had to check each drum sound and get the level the same on the brain. So first tiime we used had to allow plenty of time for this, did it at a rehearsal.

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Had my first hiccup with DL32R on Saturday.

Lots of time for sound check. Had subs on Aux, assigned to VCA with Main Fader, all vocals and instruments coming thru perfectly, nice blend. All musos with their own IOS devices set up their own IEM mixes.

Since I also sing lead vocals and play some guitar, I had my levels all set, and got some others provide guidance for my balance (as it's hard to tell for me).

Right before first song, I plug in my IEMs, and get. NOTHING. No static, no hum, no background noise. Zip. Zilch.

Shit, I have to start performing front man duties. Luckily we had a couple powered wedges up front for guest singers, etc. so I up my vocal a tad in those, and make it thru the show, albeit with way more stage noise in my ears than I have grown accustom to.

Sunday comes and I pull the mixer and IEMs out of the trailer. Still nothing. Check connections, panning, mutes, everything I can think of. Wireless pack is getting RF, but no audio on "my" side. Pan to other singer aux channel and everything comes thru fine. Ok, it's not the wireless pack.  Repatch from other aux into my transmitter, again, everything is fine. Hmmmmm.

Now I'm thinking I have a bad Aux output. Dammit!  I decide to check the output matrix on a whim.

Turns out I had inadvertently un-routed aux 1 from output 1 in the matrix when I was changing the output for subs on aux.  Corrected that routing and all is peachy keen now!

Watch your patching!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
you said "matrix" I assume you meant "routing"

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 10:06:04 PM »
Dpdan, yeah I mean it's in the routing graph thingy, output tab.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »
don't feel bad, I made a very similar mistake  :)

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »
you said "matrix" I assume you meant "routing"

POI:

Isn't it a matrix?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 12:51:54 AM »
yes, you are correct the routing screen is for all intents and purposes a matrix,
but I am reasonably confident that Mackie decided to use the term "Routing" for that particular screen to eliminate any confusion with the six available "Matrix" outputs.