Author Topic: When my un-docked iPad reconnects...  (Read 3572 times)

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
When my un-docked iPad reconnects...
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
...Which version of settings does it connect to?

For various reasons during a gig I have to switch to another app or maybe swap iPads when #2 needs a charge. The question of "...two versions running..." pops up and, if I'm mid-show I opt for "dl1608" to avoid changing anything.

There had been something bugging me for a while because I regularly find the iPad in a state I wasn't expecting, a particular scene is loaded which wasn't the one I wanted - not a problem unless I do a regular "save" over the apparently loaded show and wreck a scene I may need for another time or I load the scene I wanted but hadn't done a regular save recently so go back to where I was ten minutes ago.

Can anyone give me chapter and verse on how this is supposed to work so I can figure out where the discrepancy lies?

Hope that's clear, possible rewording necessary.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: When my un-docked iPad reconnects...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:13:00 AM »
this is the fourth of nine video tutorials that I made for folks who need help....

Even though I refer to the DL32R the info about shows and snapshots is the same for all DL mixers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KAV03Sv7g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KAV03Sv7g</a>

Here is a link for the playlist of all nine videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzszLFsXJuT38B4fNljbOdGqY6w0ioi8N
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:15:23 AM by dpdan »

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Normaly if you select dl1608 the running show will be the same, only thing that changes is the vieuw groeps

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies and well done on the vids, Dan.

There are a few things still bothering me. One of them is hinted at in your video. Before you switch to the newly created show the window on the top right is displaying "Shows*", notice particularly the asterisk after the word which I believe denotes an unsaved state.

This is part of my query. In what circumstances is it appropriate for the docked iPad to be anything other than one or other of the shows/snapshots? Why was the iPad not showing the previously loaded S/S. I think I perceived a slight hesitation in your presentation which seemed to imply you didn't see what you expected when switching back from "18 tutorials" to "17 (can't remember)".

I may be missing something, what do you think?

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
to me,
there has always been.... until recently,.... some confusion that Master Fader suffers with in this regard, and it has been the "accurately displayed" snapshot dilema.
For a long time, during a show and while I was mixing, I would create a new snapshot and give it a time, let's say 9:30. I would expect immediately affter naming the new snapshot, that the display (upper right-hand corner) would be updated to show the current running snapshot. But for quite a few years now it hasn't. I have gotten in the habbit of creating and naming a new snapshot, and then immediately hitting "recall snapshot" to force the window into displaying the correct snapshot. I do not know what versioin it was but this odd behavior has gone away and acts properly now.

So, It has been too long since I have had a DL1608 and don't miss the issues related to the "docked or not" iPad. Apart from my experience with this problem, it has no longer been a problem.
Now,... for a 1608 user, and in my opinion, the docked iPad should NEVER even have the ability to run a different show than one that is already connected wirelessly and is succesfully running the loaded show/snapshot.

If for some reason, you are experiencing a different show running on a different iPad, and it failed to give you the pop up window "the DL is running a different show that this iPad.... blah blah blah... that is scary. I would for sure contact Mackie via phone and ask them if in fact my help here has not answered your questions.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:25:25 PM by dpdan »

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »
Thanks for that.

I did notice the recent change that you describe where a newly saved S/S appears to load into the system as it is created it was a welcome relief.

Can I ask you to comment on instances where the word "shows" is in the top right window as though there is no definitive S/S loaded, I believe this may be key to my difficulty.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:21:52 PM by shufflebeat »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:15:41 AM »
I am not positive but I think I too have experienced that,
I will find out and report back here.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »
Yes, it's in your video from the beginning. I've only noticed it myself when I'm having "unexpected states" as described.

KingOfF00LS

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
this is the fourth of nine video tutorials that I made for folks who need help....

Even though I refer to the DL32R the info about shows and snapshots is the same for all DL mixers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KAV03Sv7g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-KAV03Sv7g</a>

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzszLFsXJuT38B4fNljbOdGqY6w0ioi8N

By the way, and not to hijack this thread, but I wanted to say I saw your videos (9 of them I think) about MF4.5 on youtube and they were excellent.  Helped me make several changes that were definite improvements.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:34:16 PM by KingOfF00LS »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:12 PM »
KingOfFOOLS, I am glad you enjoyed the videos and found some good tips to use with your system  :)

shufflebeat,,

when you power cycle your system and setup in a new venue, it just says Show until you recall a snapshot. The other time it should say Show is when you legitimately don't have a last recalled snapshot after loading a new show since the last recalled snapshot was in the previous show which is no longer present.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:35:49 AM »
That's just about how I understood the intention. There have been numerous events which haven't been in keeping with this so I'll need to watch closely to try and pick up where the expectation and the reality diverge.

Thanks for the input.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:49:06 PM »
glad to help  ;)