Author Topic: Tool to prepare DL32R multichannel files for your DAW  (Read 18435 times)

VoiceofDuum

• Youngling
Re: Tool to prepare DL32R multichannel files for your DAW
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 02:13:24 AM »
Hi Torsten,

AudioDemuxer looks amazing! Thank you for writing it. But for some reason on my setup it's going what looks like one step too far. I created a profile that's the same as the default 16-track mono profile but left off Tracks 6-16 since I only need the first five. It patiently goes through as indicated:

New File: E:\Euphony concert\Euphony_3.wav
7 file(s) in set

Starting Demuxing
Euphony_1 (1)->Track 1_1
Euphony_1 (2)->Track 2_1
Euphony_1 (3)->Track 3_1
Euphony_1 (4)->Track 4_1
Euphony_1 (5)->Track 5_1
Euphony_2 (1)->Track 1_2
Euphony_2 (2)->Track 2_2
Euphony_2 (3)->Track 3_2
Euphony_2 (4)->Track 4_2
Euphony_2 (5)->Track 5_2
Euphony_3 (1)->Track 1_3
Euphony_3 (2)->Track 2_3
Euphony_3 (3)->Track 3_3
Euphony_3 (4)->Track 4_3
Euphony_3 (5)->Track 5_3
Euphony_4 (1)->Track 1_4
Euphony_4 (2)->Track 2_4
Euphony_4 (3)->Track 3_4
Euphony_4 (4)->Track 4_4
Euphony_4 (5)->Track 5_4
Euphony_5 (1)->Track 1_5
Euphony_5 (2)->Track 2_5
Euphony_5 (3)->Track 3_5
Euphony_5 (4)->Track 4_5
Euphony_5 (5)->Track 5_5
Euphony_6 (1)->Track 1_6
Euphony_6 (2)->Track 2_6
Euphony_6 (3)->Track 3_6
Euphony_6 (4)->Track 4_6
Euphony_6 (5)->Track 5_6
Euphony_7 (1)->Track 1_7
Euphony_7 (2)->Track 2_7
Euphony_7 (3)->Track 3_7
Euphony_7 (4)->Track 4_7
Euphony_7 (5)->Track 5_7

concatenate files:
Track 1.wav
Track 2.wav
Track 3.wav
Track 4.wav
Track 5.wav

Done!

And then it removes all the files it just created, and I'm right back where I started. I can watch it build and then delete the files in the source audio folder. Looked everywhere on the computer - files are gone.

AudioDemuxer does log error messages, saying some of the files couldn't be deleted but they were:

19:28:14: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 1_1.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:14: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 1_2.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:14: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 2_1.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:14: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 2_2.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:14: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 3_1.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:14: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 3_2.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:15: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 4_1.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:15: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 4_2.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:15: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 5_1.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)
19:28:15: File 'E:\Euphony concert\Track 5_2.wav' couldn't be removed (error 0: the operation completed successfully.)

Can you figure out from this what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any assistance. The original engineer recorded all 32 channels, and the prospect of going through seven 32-track WAVs to manually select and concatenate five tracks seems arduous.

(Win10 Home 64-bit, target DAW PT11 or Audacity)

Cheers ... Clayton

VoiceofDuum

• Youngling
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »
While waiting for a moderator to approve my previous post, I figured out how to talk to Sox with a lengthy batch file to accomplish what I needed. Still would be nice to know why AudioDemuxer didn't want to do it, though, for future projects.

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 10:09:10 PM »
Hey Clayton,

sorry for only noticing your post right now - could you somehow share your profile file and the .wav recording files (cloud storage, dropbox link etc)? I'd like to have a look at what's happening here...

Cheers,

Torsten

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi all,

quick update - unfortunately, a server re-organization shot the original links - I've updated the URLs now in the first post; these should work!

Cheers,

Torsten

deixismou

• Initiate
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »
Hey everyone,

Had I noticed this thread, I probably wouldn't have written my own script. But, for what it's worth, here's my own attempt at a solution for Linux / Unix / MacOS users. Like rhollinshead, I opted for a bash script wrapped around sox, but added some useful features to change the output based on my various needs.

https://gitlab.com/deixismou/utility-scripts/-/blob/master/bin/mackie-batch

It has the following features:

1. output to single multi-channel file OR split into multiple files for each channel
2. can optionally identify and prune empty channels from your output (no more USB routing on the DL32R before the gig!! just record all 32 channels and be done with it).
3. You can manually set the ratio threshold for pruning empty tracks (if say your tracks are fairly quiet).
4. You can choose your output directory, but the default works
5. The tracks are automatically named according to your session folder name
6. It has reasonably good error handling, so it shouldn't mangle anything (although it will probably break your toaster,  sleep with your wife and shave your cat... no warranties)  8)

Here are some usage examples:

Code: [Select]
# To see all options and help text, use the -h flag
$ mackie-batch -h

# In the same directory as your .wav files
# By default (no arguments), you get one .w64 file for each channel in a directory called SESSION_FILES
$ mackie-batch

# From some other directory
# Output is the same as above
$ mackie-batch path/to/your/files

# To prune empty channels, use the -p flag
$ mackie-batch -p

# To output to a single multi-channel .w64 file, use the -m flag
$ mackie-batch -p -m

If you find it useful, great. Feel free to hit me up on gitlab.com if you find a bug or have any improvements you want to contribute.