Author Topic: What do you do for internet access when connected to your AP & DL?  (Read 1938 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
I just bet this has happened to you, because it has happened to me....

I use a dl32r, connected to an airport express and several iThings control the DL32r.

For break music, I use one of the iPads, connected through the airport to stream audio wirelessly (1/8" jack out of airport to two inputs on the DL). Works great.  Until someone wants a song I don't have. Then I have to hustle to make that happen because the iPads have no internet connection, except one, which has broadband, but not able to access iTunes and my DL simultaneously...

With me so far???

SOOOOOOOo I got tired of that. I now have a TP-Link 3G/4g router plugged into the WAN port of the airport...

I can turn on the wifi hotspot on my cellphone and the TP-Link router connects to it, bridges automatically and sends internet to/from its NIC, which in turn lets anything connected to the airport access my LAN and the internet.

But wait, there's more. If you don't want to use a cell phone or wifi hotspot, you can get a 3G/4g USB modem (dongle) from just about any carrier, and plug that into the TP-Link. Now you have wireless through your carrier.

If this interests anyone, I can post more specific information or answer any questions you might have.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
Re: What do you do for internet access when connected to your AP & DL?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
Interesting solution, although never have worried about not having a song someone wants for break music - I just say "sorry, don't have that one."

But glad you found a workaround that works for you.

Confused though, and maybe it's because I normally just run my iPad Air in my DL1608, but couldn't you just have your iPad connected via WiFi to your DL32r in the MF app and use the iPad outs? Easy enough to set up on separate groups so that just the iPad is playing and not having to have an analog connection.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:21:24 PM »
When using a DL32R for my own band, I have an iPad on stage, on my mic stand (I'm the bass player).  No cables connected to it. No power, no audio.

When we take a break, I hit a playlist, which plays by streaming wirelessly to the Apple Airport Express.  The express has a 1/8" cable from it split into two inputs on the DL.
Again, no cables anywhere in this case, nothing to get lost, nothing to remember to hook up, nothing to get broken or trip over.

The music streams using a DJ app sometimes, as our typical show requires constant music and people love to dance.

Music changes constantly, and whether it is a club or bar and they want to hear something new, or a wedding and they want to hear something old - I like to have it.  I take great pride in giving people what they want.

So it has been very frustrating when someone wants something that I don't have, and to get it, I have to disconnect the iPad from my DL32R's access point (which stops the music and also the control of my DL32r with that iPad).   Then attempt to download the song.

Now, while music is playing and people are dancing, if they request something, I'll simply buy it on iTunes, stream it from my vast collection on my server or stream it from youtube or something.

No more frustration.

Also, if I need the lyrics to a song, or tab, I won't have to disconnect from my DL32R to grab it. =)

NOTE: We don't dock the iPads to the DL32R...   it's not like the 1608 in that respect.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
Thanks - I figured that since there isn't a dock per se with the DL32R it might be different. Also misunderstood that the Airport express was connected to the DL32R - I thought I saw the iPad, which was the confusion.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608