Author Topic: AUX Issues  (Read 4738 times)

WhatsThatSound

• Youngling
AUX Issues
« on: May 07, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
For several weeks I have been experiencing intermittent distortion or complete failure of several aux channels. For example, the first instance came during setup and AUX 2 produced NO sound. Replace cord with the cord from another AUX that was working, still nothing, then replaced initial cord altogether with brand new one, still nothing. Next gig, NOT using non-operating AUX channel, another AUX channel (my guitar players monitor) complains about his monitor cutting in and out, specifically dropping out then coming back louder than what was initially set. A couple of weeks later (avoiding now 2 funky AUX channels) I mistakenly plug into AUX 2 and it works again all of a sudden. Now another AUX channel is distorting, thank goodness I only need 3 AUX channels. Last week I took the unit into my local Mckie repair center and (of course) they didn't find any problems. Anybody else experiencing these issues?

I am so gun-shy of this that I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Behringer X AIR XR16. Anyone interested in buying a possessed DL1608? Exorcist NOT included...

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
Re: AUX Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:34:15 AM »
I thought I had a bad aux a month ago but it turned out to be the output had been unrouted in the routing matrix. I don't recall if the 1608 has that same capability as the dl32, but five minutes of looking at my settings I was able to remedy the issue.   

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Hey, WhatsThatSound

I’ve been using the DL for about 4 years without any issues whatsoever. Now it’s getting flaky. Just like you I now cannot rely on it.

My tale of woe:

I’ve been experiencing something almost the same for about 3 months. A very intermittent problem indeed. Set everything up as normal. Power up, no audio from main outs at all. Preamps set normal, digital trim set as needed, Main volume up along with appropriate channel volume level. Check everything from mics to cables to making sure powered cabs are on and volume up, no audio. iPad was directly connected to the DL via an Apple 30 pin to Lightning adaptor.

Even when running wirelessly this can still happen randomly.

Mind you, I’ve never checked the AUX outs at all. Don’t use them for the venues I do. School concerts.

Finally give up checking, power off the DL, wait 20 seconds, power on and DL works perfectly throughout the show. Sometimes it won’t even charge or recognize the connected iPad, until I power cycle it. The mixer firmware is the latest version along with MF and my iPad Air 2 is also on the latest version of iOS.

To try and get it repaired would cost almost as much as to buy a new digital mixer. It’s not worth it to even call Mackie about the issue. Not under warranty anymore.

I guess I've been very lucky that the DL has worked great for the 4 plus years. They certainly don't last forever! LOL!

Gotta start looking for a new digital mixer! G.A.S here we come! Woo Hoo!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:55:11 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:35:00 AM »
Had this problem to, lost 3 auxes in 2 weeks
My cure was to reinforce an new install on the mixer, now again 2 years out of problems

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:39:57 AM »
Hi Folks,

This sounds like it could be a ribbon cable.

I would open the mixer, pull and re-seat all ribbon cables.

Maybe I'm lucky  -  bought my DL1608 four years ago and so far no issues.
After a year I did have to re-seat a ribbon cable on my DL32R.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:25:49 AM »
It sure sounds like the age-old Mackie problem of the flat ribbon cable (3M). They had the problem on the CR1604 and it now appears to be on the DL1608. Re-seating will buy you some time but is a PIA to accomplish. New cables would be better or if you're really handy soldering in the cables would be a much better choice.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
It sure sounds like the age-old Mackie problem of the flat ribbon cable (3M). They had the problem on the CR1604 and it now appears to be on the DL1608. Re-seating will buy you some time but is a PIA to accomplish. New cables would be better or if you're really handy soldering in the cables would be a much better choice.

Hi WK,

Is it worth it for my issues to open up the DL and reseat all the ribbon cables? It's not daunting for me and the DL is not under warranty anymore. Nothing to lose, as it were. My problem really sounds like an intermittent hardware issue though. Don't really want to fork out over a grand right now for a new mixer unless I have to! Ugh! I do have the little ZED-i10 in a pinch.

Gotta start ragging on the school to fork out for a new mixer!  >:D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:15:06 PM by Keyboard Magic »
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:47:24 PM »
KM I did take it partially apart see autopsy here. Bag and label the screws (lots of different sizes ) and take photos as you go along. The analog section I never opened so when you do, take a bunch of pics for the record and us. There are 5 flat 3M cables that could use a squeeze (small vice) at the connector end and then re-seat them several times. Oxidation can make low voltage signals do funny things. I'm interested in the DC to DC converters that they use for voltage limits. A part number would be good. Actually it's high time Mackie posted the schematics. Good luck.

P.S. When you have a day to spare. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:09:49 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »
WK:

Thanks for the encouragement! And the info. Not sure I'm quite ready to tackle it just at the moment though. It's basically sitting and collecting dust. Can't rely on it!  But cracking it open sure couldn't hurt at this point. When I do, I will note the DC to DC convertors, or maybe some pix on it.

I cracked open my brand new laptop to install a SSD and double the memory to 16GB. But there was a blow by blow video on how to do it. Piece of cake. Too bad there's no YouTube videos on DL disassembly. I will check out your autopsy for sure!

You'd think by now Mackie would release schematics on the DL, since it seems to be close to EOL already.

Spare Day?? One could only hope!  ;)

PS: Ui24R is available for pre-sale orders at my local toy store. Gonna investigate very closely!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:26:30 PM by Keyboard Magic »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 06:21:45 AM »
Just looked at the main board pic again and there is a battery the typical CR2030 found in computers for retaining data between power cycles. It's quite possible that Alzheimer's has set in on your unit Replacement might solve your problem. Just a WAG (Wild A.. Guess). After battery update I would reinstall the firmware in case there are values that are permanent and only set by a firmware update.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 06:25:50 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
Thanks!

Sounds like a CMOS battery. And it could certainly cause some problems if it's low or dying. Hope it's not soldered in like some of the older motherboards I've dealt with in my past life as a computer tech. Those kinda boards always had to be replaced for a dead battery. I'm not that practiced in de-soldering/soldering. But it's worth a look inside. A battery is an inexpensive fix!  8)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 04:07:55 PM »
From the pic it's not soldered in.
When in doubt KISS

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:53 PM »
Excellent!  8)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
KM and others, the Chinese copy machine is busy providing counterfeits of CR2030 and the current version CR2032 even with the usual packaging. So choose your supplier wisely. Mackie used the CR2030 in my unit but it has since been replaced by a CR2032 unless they are selling old stock or copies. The 20 is the diameter in mm the 32 is 3.2mm. The .2mm won't affect anything in this use.  Expiration date will tell you a lot. Typical shelf life of 10yrs.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:35:45 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS