Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Compression onstage monitors

(1/5) > >>

slystewart:
I'm using a DL32R and as the bass player for the last few months had to work the mix from stage  and learning as I go along not my choice but  doing ok so far.  . band member asked about compression on stage monitors as this band has two front men ....im not sure about this  any help on this  Thanks

shufflebeat:
The problems with compression in the monitors are (in musicians' terms):

1 - takes some of the cut from the monitors, encouraging greater volume to compensate, inviting feedback.
2 - takes some of the dynamic edge off a performance, encouraging harder playing than necessary.
3 - makes everything disappear into everything else.

Some of these might be artistically pleasing but it takes restraint and understanding to stay on the right side of subtle. Better to EQ well and control your own dynamics by performance technique.

Compression/limiting can be useful to protect speakers by fine tuning gain structure but is not a substitute for good planning.

nedorama:
No compression for me on monitors - otherwise how do you know if you're too loud, especially with 2 front men? They need to learn to blend and the only way to really do that effectively is to control dynamics the old school way - singing softer, backing off the mic, and hearing what the other person is doing.

I'd work to ensure they can hear their vocals above everything in the mix before adding compression.

what vocal mics and what monitors are you using?

4mal:
Generally it is a great way to have a singer blow their voice out.  Uncompressed, uneffected monitors are the way I roll...

dpdan:
shufflebeat,
so well stated!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version