Author Topic: Success using dl1608 and dl32r together  (Read 2128 times)

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
Success using dl1608 and dl32r together
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:32 AM »
Ok, so not exactly. But got your attention.

Wedding gig where the ceremony and reception were at the same country club this past Sunday.

Ceremony was under a large covered entry way (relocated from original spot due to intense sunshine and heat) so I used my dl1608, one wireless handheld Sennheiser 865, and one wireless lapel also Sennheiser, receivers and mixer at the back of the "room"; a 50' XLR from mixer to JBL PRX612m on a stick at House right near a column with power, and second 50' XLR from House right speaker routed out of the way to House left JBL on another stick near another column with power.

Super easy set up, played some prerecorded Schubert piano pieces the couple requested beforehand. Officiant had a good voice for the lapel mic I had previously rung out to avoid feedback. One of the groomsmen had a song he sang using the handheld while he walked down the isle. Also pre-checked for feedback. More prerecorded for recessional. Easy peasy. Set up took less than an hour by myself including unloading trailer, all set up, cables dressed, mics checked and rung out. The dl eq section makes this a breeze.

Just prior to ceremony, helped band mates load in to the reception hall about 100 ft away, and I rolled in my two JBL PRX818W each with a SRX812P riding on top, large cable/stand trunk that carries all mic/line and signal cables as well as all mic stands and speaker poles. Along with dl32r that's racked up with 6 channels of Sennheiser IEM, Cyberpower power backup, etc. 9 piece top 40 band set up and sound checked in the tight corner (ugh) but we can be compact with either wireless IEM or Rolls boxes for a few wired in ear mixes. Everyone controls their own mix, and I have mixed us enough to easily balance everything right out of the box in a minute.

Before reception live music started, cued up some prerecorded cocktail hour tunes, then struck the ceremony PA in less than a half hour by myself.

I was surprised that in addition to my front-man vocal duties I would have to also MC the event making all the announcements and moving the afternoon along with cues provided by two of the wedding party, but it worked out great!

Just a great time had by all and while it could have been a technical nightmare, went off without a hitch! Sweated thru a couple shirts and worked myself pretty hard, but survived the heat and got a decent tip and pay for the gig.

Thanks for reading.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
Re: Success using dl1608 and dl32r together
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:43:01 AM »
Congrats! Always nice to hear of a gig gone well.

On the pre-recorded music, what did you use to play it - app on the iPad, or dedicated player patched into the DL1608?

Those Rolls PM50 and PM50s boxes are great for people wanting to try in-ear monitors but without the price. Our bass player really liked it, taping a headphone extension cable to his instrument cable. And the mic-thru is great for a "more me" when you have people sharing a mix...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:45:02 AM by nedorama »
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
Re: Success using dl1608 and dl32r together
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:47 AM »
For the canned music I had playlists set up on an old iPod nano, duplicated on my iPhone for a backup.
On the 1608 I plugged my iPhone in using the dock connector/adapter and played music for the ceremony via the iPad channel.

I had originally planned to use a mini jack to dual 1/4" into two inputs on the 32r for the cocktail hour in reception hall, but due to space limits, we ended up putting the mixer rack outside on a shaded patio right behind the drummer, with a couple 4 and 8 channel fan-fan snakes (Audiopile) coming in thru the doors. This made it tough for any changes to the songs (a few requests for special dances the band wasn't going to learn we played from iPod), so I used a track input my bass player uses on his rig that feeds the PA on one of his mono channels. Now the iPod was directly behind me on bassists music stand. Switched around my mute group assignments and it was perfect.