Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Small talk

(1/5) > >>

JohnMHoyt:
Been kinda quiet so I have not been checking in much.

What are you guys up to? Still using the DL mixers?

Mine is hanging in there with a couple wonky inputs that require me to open it up every few months and reseat the ribbon cable connectors.

I've been looking at options, hating the idea of abandoning the mixer I have actually enjoyed the most, and dreading other interfaces, like presonus'....   I really only want 3 rack spaces used, 32 ins and at least 8 outs.  Ability to use any device like android or windows or just browser is appealing though.

It's hard to beat the dl32r

WK154:
John if re-seating the cables buys you a couple of months have you considered replacing the cables or at least very carefully compressing the connectors in a vice re-establishing a fresh connection with multi-strand wire. The connection method used in the 3M cable was originally developed by the Telecom's using a single core wire and was quite reliable. Using multi-strand makes it less reliable as in this situation.

stevegarris:
I'm 4 years in and mine is still working flawlessly. My next board will be the DL32.

I was mixing a local band last night, and my friend the guitar player works for Mackie. He said the DL boards are selling like hotcakes and they can't keep them in stock. You would never guess this if you hang out on ProSound web - the Mackie boards do not get much love over there!

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: WK154 on July 01, 2017, 03:47:14 PM ---John if re-seating the cables buys you a couple of months have you considered replacing the cables or at least very carefully compressing the connectors in a vice re-establishing a fresh connection with multi-strand wire. The connection method used in the 3M cable was originally developed by the Telecom's using a single core wire and was quite reliable. Using multi-strand makes it less reliable as in this situation.

--- End quote ---

I have not had the luxury of having it down long enough and out of my rig to really work on it. Just a quick reseat and back in business. There are quite a few others having similar issues too. Other posts can be found regarding the issue on sound forums.

I've been using and building ribbon connectors for various systems for 30 years. Computers, robotics, telecom, radio communication... never seen this particular issue. It's some kind of oxidation according to those with more experience. Mackie told me that I would have to send it in, that they could fix it, but I do not have an adequate backup, or enough downtime for that. Thus, considering trying another mixer.

Weogo:
Hi John,

On the 9th I start the Swannanoa Gathering:
 http://www.swangathering.com/
Main concert and dance halls get DL32Rs, DL1608 in another venue.
There's a QU16 installed in the recital hall and an MR18 will be used in the open air pavilion.
My preference would be DL32Rs everywhere!

After October I could loan you a DL1608 or DL32R while you get your DL repaired, if you can wait that long.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version