Author Topic: Small talk  (Read 9077 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Small talk
« on: July 01, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
Been kinda quiet so I have not been checking in much.

What are you guys up to? Still using the DL mixers?

Mine is hanging in there with a couple wonky inputs that require me to open it up every few months and reseat the ribbon cable connectors.

I've been looking at options, hating the idea of abandoning the mixer I have actually enjoyed the most, and dreading other interfaces, like presonus'....   I really only want 3 rack spaces used, 32 ins and at least 8 outs.  Ability to use any device like android or windows or just browser is appealing though.

It's hard to beat the dl32r

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: Small talk
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »
John if re-seating the cables buys you a couple of months have you considered replacing the cables or at least very carefully compressing the connectors in a vice re-establishing a fresh connection with multi-strand wire. The connection method used in the 3M cable was originally developed by the Telecom's using a single core wire and was quite reliable. Using multi-strand makes it less reliable as in this situation.
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
I'm 4 years in and mine is still working flawlessly. My next board will be the DL32.

I was mixing a local band last night, and my friend the guitar player works for Mackie. He said the DL boards are selling like hotcakes and they can't keep them in stock. You would never guess this if you hang out on ProSound web - the Mackie boards do not get much love over there!

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 02:38:31 AM »
John if re-seating the cables buys you a couple of months have you considered replacing the cables or at least very carefully compressing the connectors in a vice re-establishing a fresh connection with multi-strand wire. The connection method used in the 3M cable was originally developed by the Telecom's using a single core wire and was quite reliable. Using multi-strand makes it less reliable as in this situation.

I have not had the luxury of having it down long enough and out of my rig to really work on it. Just a quick reseat and back in business. There are quite a few others having similar issues too. Other posts can be found regarding the issue on sound forums.

I've been using and building ribbon connectors for various systems for 30 years. Computers, robotics, telecom, radio communication... never seen this particular issue. It's some kind of oxidation according to those with more experience. Mackie told me that I would have to send it in, that they could fix it, but I do not have an adequate backup, or enough downtime for that. Thus, considering trying another mixer.

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:18:44 AM »
Hi John,

On the 9th I start the Swannanoa Gathering:
 http://www.swangathering.com/
Main concert and dance halls get DL32Rs, DL1608 in another venue.
There's a QU16 installed in the recital hall and an MR18 will be used in the open air pavilion.
My preference would be DL32Rs everywhere!

After October I could loan you a DL1608 or DL32R while you get your DL repaired, if you can wait that long.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »
Hi John,

On the 9th I start the Swannanoa Gathering:
 http://www.swangathering.com/

After October I could loan you a DL1608 or DL32R while you get your DL repaired, if you can wait that long.

Very cool about your setup there Weego!

I keep holding on... hahaha I'll probably rip the thing out of the rack and give it a reseat in the next couple weeks as I am down an input on the 2nd row of XLRs right now (I mean, I just have to remember to move to another input, but still).

I keep going back and forth about what to do.  If I buy another DL32R, we're talking about some older technology and I would hate to see something new and shiny come out in 2018 after making that investment.
I've loved and supported the DL32R and before that the 1608.

Thank you so much for the offer, who knows, I might talk with you about it.    What an awesome community.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 05:40:12 PM »
Hi guys,
I have been using the DL32R for about three years now and I love this thing, AND SO DOES MY BACK compared to what it replaced!

Recently I purchased a DC16 and use it for concerts, and corporate events, AND IT IS SO COOL,
but much of the time I am doing jobs like wedding receptions and the console is not necessary.
So many other systems that CAN use an iPad to mix don't work unless the console is set up,
it is SO nice to not have to even bring the console if all I need is an iPad.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:22:08 AM by dpdan »

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
Hi guys,
I have been using the DL32R for about three years now and I love this thing, AND SO DOES MY BACK compared to what it replaced!

Very nice... gives the rig a whole new world of use that would be super for some of the larger shows. A bit pricey for me, but it sure is sexy...  that thing is wired though, right? Just a cat 5 cable?

Anyway...  the feature set of the dl32r itself is very attractive... using iPads is nice, but there are others that let use use any device with html5 support, and others that support iThings/android, most without a pc necessary.
Some have enhanced branded effects engines...   

I'm locked into 3u size, I would hate to buy a new rack to replace my mixer, adding more expense.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »
Hi John, you are correct,
it connects via a single CAT5 cable
and it is indeed sexy :)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
Hi John, you are correct,
it connects via a single CAT5 cable
and it is indeed sexy :)

What a dream that would have been for me a few years back as we dragged a 150ft 32x4 snake around for a 32 channel 8 bus mackie, then another 24 in/8 out monitor mixer with its own snake and splitters...   Holy cow have we come a long way to be able to have it all in a single box sitting on the stage with an ipad out front and each person mixing their own monitors on stage with iThings.... then add the physical console with a single cat 5 cable.   wow.  just wow.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 02:03:38 AM »
Dan - great looking rig!

Haven't had a show for a while where I've used my PA, so have used the time to get other things in order:
- Finally pulled the trigger and bought a QSC KW181 sub; sticking with one for now and looking forward to having kick and bass going through it.
- ordered 10 10' bright green XLR cables from Redco just for the drums. Normally we just do kick, Snare, Hat and OH, but I have the D2's and D4's to mic his toms as well if needed.
- Ordered a DC005 case from Audiopile. In looking at the amount of storage it has, it's almost 3 of those Home Depot HDX tubs, but in a better pack for my minivan, and having casters on the bottom makes it easier to move. My drummer also now has a better monitor wedge location!
- Bought a used Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. amp head for well under the new price; I already had their Mini Z and a 1x12 cabinet. It sounds great and can't wait to take it out live to play.

Currently, my DL1608 is not being used to its fullest - a vocal mic, acoustic guitar DI, and 1 channel out to my SXM112a for myself or my daughter to play to in the music room. But makes it super easy.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:19:59 AM »
it truly is amazing how far audio has come in such a short time.
I have to pinch myself every time I use the DL32R.

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 11:43:54 PM »
it truly is amazing how far audio has come in such a short time.
I have to pinch myself every time I use the DL32R.

It's scary both that gear has improved so much but scarier that I have gotten so much older.
I remember the days of running Sun Coliseum with a graphic eq and echo plea and thinking we were hot stuff.
A step above a Vocal Master ( you young guy can google that), but a far cry from today's technology
Your never to old to learn something stupid

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 05:18:09 AM »
Rd, I hear ya,, gitten old aint for sissies :)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 06:24:54 AM »
Think young, otherwise it's a self-fulfilling prophesy.  ;D Who's old around here?
When in doubt KISS