Author Topic: Small talk  (Read 9076 times)

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Small talk
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 05:18:22 PM »
I'm 64.  Will be running sound for Tony Exum Jr. jazz sax player and friends outdoors downtown Denver Saturday.  My mains are ZXA1s with matching subs.  Surely someone will think it's not enough, but I've run sound for Tony a number of times over the last three years and really, those EVs are just about perfect.  (indoors and out.)

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 06:37:58 PM »
great that your still out there having fun.  I'll be 64 in 2 years and will still be doing this too.

I dumped off the big gear 2 years ago and also use the small ZX powered subs (the little 40 pound, 12" ones) with a few QSC K-12 and
for most my gigs they are just fine. I can add more mains if needed, but try to just user the small gear.
Most my work is running other bands gear and I simply show up with my Ipad and log into their router... and away I go.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
Old? You're as old as you feel! I'm 62, not necessarily a spring chicken though. Some days I feel much younger. Then there are those days when your body goes "What the hell are you doing?!!"  x(  :facepalm:  ;)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »
ok, small talk  :)
I'm 61 and I am gonna set up and run sound till somebody tells me I can't  :)

HE HE

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 07:59:39 PM »
It's not the days that sometimes make me feel old....it's the nights.
The 2:00 AM packing gear up and making the drive home.  It's those soul searching
moments at 3:30 pulling into the garage or deciding whether to unload now or the next day that
Make me sometimes question my sanity.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
Amen, to that!  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

MrDOS

• Padawan
    • Weekend hobby site
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 12:58:38 AM »
Wow - It's nice to not be the oldest guy in the room, for once (55)!  :D

Still using the DL32R every week, and still loving it.  Thought about getting the control surface, but haven't really needed it.

Parenthetically, I ran FOH for Tony Exum Jr. at an outdoor show in Colorado Springs last year.  He brought an ancient laptop for backing tracks.  It gave diskspace warnings that would "ding" for all to hear :D
Live sound/recording engineer, videographer at WoodlawnSound.com
SQL Server DBA
Bass Player

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 08:24:46 AM »
"It gave diskspace warnings that would "ding" for all to hear"

OH MY WORD!!!   :P

CyberHippy

• Padawan
  • Bass Bass Bass
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »
We keep our DL1608's around as our "oh shit" mixers in case anything goes wrong with our Soundcraft Si consoles (which have become our standard). I use them for grab&go gigs, more often in the winter than this time of year especially now that I have an Expression 1 that packs very small. I just work better & faster with physical faders, if the Axis had come out a couple of years earlier I might have gone that route (still might eventually, who knows?).

This is my busiest year every (been hearing that from a LOT of other engineers) & it feels good to have so many options among modern consoles!

In the spirit of the thread: I just turned 47 & fully plan on continuing this business for at least another 20 years, I just LOVE mixing bands and helping make a scene happen!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
I just LOVE mixing bands and helping make a scene happen!

That's cool to hear!