Author Topic: 2nd Hand DL1608 - not selling  (Read 5070 times)

SGravy

• Youngling
2nd Hand DL1608 - not selling
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:22:57 AM »
Wonder if you can provide a friend with pointers to look out for when buying a 2nd hand DL1608. I've got a DL32 and am not familiar with the 1608.

Thanks in advance.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: 2nd Hand DL1608 - not selling
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
the DL1608 is a nice unit but it has a few major weaknesses,
Even though it uses the same Master Fader app, it is not able to recall the gain settings. Those settings are physical analog knobs on the unit.
It also demands that you have adaptor cables or adaptors for the 6 TRS 1/4" mix outputs. If you use the monitor outputs with unbalanced cables, the outputs have some noise and that aint too classy, however, using balanced TRS cables to XLR quiets them down nicely.
I would stay away from the 806/1608 units, even a new one would be nothing like having another DL32R, I would take a used 32R any day.

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Not much to check out really. Some people have lost auxes apparently due to ribbon cable problems. My 1608 is one of the first made and after a busy life the only hardware problem I've had so far is a lost tip connection on the jack part of one of the combo ins.
As far as I can see no major issues given the price point. The fact the auxes are on jacks is pretty normal on budget desks and is really no big deal. Just always connect them balanced or you'll get horrible digital background noise. Programmable gains would be nice but the pre-amps are remarkably quiet whilst also being forgiving of overloads which compensates. Sometimes it's useful to be able use it docked like a conventional mixer and not need WiFi.
It does cost massively less than a DL32 so comparisons are unfair but it does sound as good to me.
Hope that helps.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »
Agree with everything pytchley said. Perhaps he's asking for too much? I've seen them locally for as little as $250, which is a bargain IMO.

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »
Hi SGravy,

I would suggest your friend put a condenser mic in each input and make sure it sounds good. 
Rotate the analog gain controls and listen(on headphones) for any scratchy sounds.

Hook a monitor speaker to all eight outputs and make sure they work.  Test the headphone output.

Connect to a router and make sure wireless control is working.

Wiggle the power supply connector.

Inspect visually  -  has it been used lightly in a studio, or beat in bars?

I'm a big fan of the little DL1608.
Mine just finished a week of gigs in a local venue, including two musical interviews for broadcast on NPR's Thistle and Shamrock.
It sits in an old Snare Drum case with a custom 12' x eight-channel snake, with one channel reversed to be a monitor send.
Easy set, easy strike.
(DL32Rs installed in the two big venues.)

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

SGravy

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Thanks Guys - Passed on your comments and they are appreciative.

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »
Agree with everything pytchley said. Perhaps he's asking for too much? I've seen them locally for as little as $250, which is a bargain IMO.

Hey Steve, They're (DL1608) still selling brand new here in T.O., if you can get one. And they retail for about $750.00 before taxes!  :o
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:29:30 AM »

Hey Steve, They're (DL1608) still selling brand new here in T.O., if you can get one. And they retail for about $750.00 before taxes!  :o
KM he can probably get them for free if he goes dumpster diving in his hometown at Mackie.  :)
When in doubt KISS

SGravy

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
Cheers again guys - being UK based it's a bit difficult to pop to the suggested dumpster ;-)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
Cheers again guys - being UK based it's a bit difficult to pop to the suggested dumpster ;-)
Meant for Steve Garris who's in that town.
When in doubt KISS

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »

KM he can probably get them for free if he goes dumpster diving in his hometown at Mackie.  :)

My buddy who works at Mackie says they are still selling like hotcakes and they can't keep them in stock. I'm considering a DL32 very soon.

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 03:14:00 AM »
My 'big board' is an SI 3 with the new 32x12Mini Stagebox.  love it... safely it is a two guy move up to the FOH position.  The preamps are wonderful..

My personal mixer is a DL-1608 - love it as well.  Insanely convenient, powerful little bugger.  The software absolutely smokes that with the Soundcraft.  Mine started as a 30 pin and about $80 later has the Lightning connnector and iPad Air sized tray.  The preamps in the Mackie aren't in the same league as the SI given the SI 3 is like over 3 grand... you would expect something to be better...

I would probably snag a used 32 R and sell off the 1608 if one presented itself in a opportunistic buying scenario...  it would still be my personal mixer but would also serve as a backup to the SC board for Sound Company gigs.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 01:57:31 AM »
The preamps in the Mackie aren't in the same league as the SI given the SI 3 is like over 3 grand... you would expect something to be better...

Why does everyone assume that just because one company's console is more expensive, that the lesser expensive brand console has "preamps" that just don't measure up, or,.... "are not in the same leaque"?
Why do people judge a mixer by it's preamps. Preamps are just part of the sound even though the preamp is the first section of the console where the analog audio is injected, and is very important.
If the pramps are junk then yes, nothing after that can make up the difference.
In a sound console that is intended and designed to be used as a "live" mixer, then the headroom is equally important to sound quality as is also true in a recording studio console.

I would like to know what kind of test you did to determine that "The preamps in the Mackie aren't in the same league as the SI"
Let's do a test, I'm up for it.
Dan

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:59:34 AM by dpdan »

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 06:02:49 AM »
I think this says it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLZl52az6g
Compare preamps??? Really! So you have a AP5xx or equivalent?
When in doubt KISS