Author Topic: Mains thru monitors?  (Read 5167 times)

Yorgaki1

• Padawan
Mains thru monitors?
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
DL1608 Question: I'm performing as a solo act playing and singing along to backing tracks. I'd like to monitor the foh mix through my monitor, but also want independent eq control so I can ring out the monitor. I was thinking of taking the signal from the headphone jack and routing it back to a channel, leaving the mains fader down and using an aux out to my monitor, I would then be able to use the aux eq to ring out the monitor, correct? I guess I would have to set the aux to pre fader? Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks

Ampli

• Knight
Re: Mains thru monitors?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:23:18 PM »
If you set the aux to post fader the aux follows the main
U have to set the aux levels all to 0db

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:28:58 AM »
I do this a lot with my IEM setup.  Buy a Y cable with xlr inputs that match the output and channel in.  So take one of the outs and y cable it.  One side of the y cable goes to a channel.  Maybe no. 15.  The other goes to your speakers as usual.

Then mute the channel (no.15 for example) and us any aux out you wat to feed a monitor speaker.  In that aux out you feed the channel you are using into it.  Select it pre fader or post to your liking.

Peebo

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:03:19 AM »
I just got a request to do this for an upcoming show. Is it possible to do this in the routing of master fader on a DL32? I do have the Y-cables to try if it can't be done with the signal routing.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
If you set the aux to post fader the aux follows the main
U have to set the aux levels all to 0db

This one covers all your requirements. No need to do anything else. If your backing tracks are in stereo there may be other considerations, otherwise this is the simplest and most effective way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:47:41 PM by shufflebeat »

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 05:27:34 PM »
Well yes and no.  What I want is the whole FOH available on a single channel fader in the Aux mix.  The the IEM user can use that as a base line and add "more me" as they need it.  Saves them have to adjust a lot of stuff at once. 

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:45 AM »
I've been struggling with this one for a while but can't think of an ITB way to get all you want. Your initial suggestion of feeding the FOH mix from the headphone output back into channels is maybe the best way to throw a ring around all your requirements but:

I'd untick the "main" option in the input(s) routing section rather than just rely on keeping the main fader down.
I would lock as much as possible away from other users (how do you remember to do this for all scenes?).
Will you have "stereo to mono" phasing issues? You may not know until you try it.

Experimentation might be in order.

musicman7722

• Knight
    • Triple Play
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
"I'd untick the "main" option in the input(s) routing section rather than just rely on keeping the main fader down.
I would lock as much as possible away from other users (how do you remember to do this for all scenes?).
Will you have "stereo to mono" phasing issues? You may not know until you try it."

Good point to untick the output to the mains.

I used a "Y" XLR cable sending one main mixer output to both the speaker and a channel.  It worked fine.  We had a guest lead singer for the night.  We all use IEM so he used the FOH channel as his baseline then just brought up things he needed a little more of.  No phase issues of any kind.  I personally used just the main channel in my IEM mix and it worked fine for me and I was able to tweak the mix when I needed to.