Author Topic: Portable Power for i-pads and over heating  (Read 3559 times)

SGravy

• Youngling
Portable Power for i-pads and over heating
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
It doesn't get that hot in the UK often but when it does..........

Had issues with the i-pad lagging significantly this weekend - which I assume was overheating - and the battery didn't last anywhere near as long as usual.

I remember reading about someone using ice packs to cool the i-pad - how safe is this?

Can I use any of the plug in portable power supplies? or is there a particular type I should be looking at?

Thanks

Steve

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Portable Power for i-pads and over heating
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
Ice packs could work, but keep the actual water away from the ipad.  (ziplock?)

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Hi Steve,

Do you have the Ipad docked in the DL1608?
Heat rises and is conducted from the mixer and can cause the Ipad to overheat. 
At first it will slow down, then it will hibernate.
Remove the Ipad, place in shade and in a couple minutes it will be ready to go again.

Putting small blocks of wood under the DL1608 can help the flow of cooling air around the mixer.
Active cooling with a small fan is another option.

Cold air falls, heat radiates.
For maximum cooling, wrap the ice pack in a towel and place it on top of the Ipad.

Or you could put the ice pack under the Ipad and just count on conduction.

For charging batteries, generally the bigger and heavier the unit the longer it will last.
Some of the small power supplies are only powerful enough to charge a phone, though the trickle charge from one can extend your Ipad's usefulness a good hour or two.
Here's one of many reviews online -
 http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-battery-packs/

Good health,  Weogo

Rdmitch

• Knight
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
In a pinch I have used a portable,hand held air conditioner.
These are small battery powered, or USB powered units that pull in air and move it thru a cold,wet sponge and
Discharge cooler air.  Very inexpensive, and usually cheaply made. About 10.00 on eBay.  This falls under
the classification of evaporative cooling and while not my ideal solution, it  has saved me a few times this year in avoiding a iPad shutdown

I do a lot of outdoor shows and often am sitting in the hot sun (even with my little chair and sunshade) with the iPad in a protective case I feel it getting hot. On occasions it has come dangerously close to thermal shutdown. Since I usually have a good supply of Ice water from the venue or in my portable cooler,  I can soak the sponge in cold water and blow,pretty cool air on the iPad. It has helped ...plus,I blow some cold air on me too.
Back up ipad is always ready in the van.
Your never to old to learn something stupid

Keyboard Magic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »
What about a laptop cooling pad under the DL? They have 1 or 2 USB powered fans depending on how much money you want to spend on one. A single fan cooler is $20.00 CDN here.  8)
"The bad news is time flies. The good news is...you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

SGravy

• Youngling
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 01:47:24 PM »
Weogo & Keyboard Magic. Great ideas - it's a DL32 so not docked. I han't thought of the laptop cooling aid :-).

The link to the battery packs was most helpful - ordered one from their review this morning.

Thanks again for the help.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 07:39:40 PM »
I have had excellent results with Anker chargers, both their wired versions and battery packs. They have a new 2 outlet one (Powercore Fusion 5000) that plugs in like a charger, but also has a 5000mAh battery; best of both worlds. I own the 10 USB charger, 4 USB charger, USB 3.0 super speed 10-port Hub, PowerCore 20100, PowerCore Fusion 5000. I feel safe with their products.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608