Author Topic: Scary routing problem, DL32R w Master Fader 4.6.1  (Read 3605 times)

msmithers

• Youngling
Scary routing problem, DL32R w Master Fader 4.6.1
« on: September 17, 2017, 08:03:56 PM »
I set up for a show on Saturday and mixed the band through a rehearsal; which included lots of EQ and level changes, and a few changes to the routes on the Master Fader "Input A" page. At the end of the day I turned off the DL32R but left the iPad running, with Master Fader running.

Sunday morning we powered everything on, including the DL32R, and resync'd Master Fader. All settings from the Saturday were ok except for the route changes on the "Input A" page. The page showed the correct routes but signal wasn't passing through just the changes from Saturday. On the "Input A" page I disconnected, then reconnected, the specific nodes (from the Saturday changes) and signal came through ok.

Anyone seen anything like this before? One thing I could have done differently was to shut down Master Fader, overnight, but in theory this shouldn't be necessary.

Michael

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:16:44 PM by msmithers »

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: Scary routing problem, DL32R w Master Fader 4.6.1
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 02:03:09 AM »
Yep...   I have seen it a couple times, but out of a couple hundred shows, that’s not so bad.

The worst was when I was running sound for two bands at one show... I had saved the settings for each after sound checking and repatching.  Unfortunately when I got back to my own band’s show, some settings were lost.

Sometimes it just doesn’t sync everything...  very rarely.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:42:37 PM »
In my 50+ years of dealing with computers I have found turning off and restarting them is the best policy. It will give you a early warning if things start to deteriorate at the beginning and not in the mids of a gig. There are usually tests to verify basic functionality in software such as the Bios and possibly in some of the better apps. These are only invoked on restart. Garbage collection algorithms (recovering unused memory)are far from complete so eventually  it will clutter up the work-space and slow things down. Firefox is one of many such apps.
When in doubt KISS

msmithers

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 07:50:02 PM »
Yep, I guess I'm a little spoilt re the Lake control. They put a lot of effort into robustness of sync between the tablet controllers and the hardware; comparing hashes on data state from both sides and more. The reason being that at any time they could lose individual packets or lose complete Wifi coverage, and then have to re-sync gracefully and accurately when coverage came back.

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:33:10 AM »
Hi Michael,

For me, with both the DL1608 and DL32R everything has always come up as it was supposed to.

I always have the mixer plugged in to a UPS so power issues are mostly eliminated.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo