Author Topic: No Front Of House Sound For Linked Channel  (Read 4698 times)

c172essna

• Youngling
No Front Of House Sound For Linked Channel
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
A problem occurred last weekend that I haven't been able to figure out. As always, any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Our band's keyboard player mics his Leslie amp cabinet on both the top and bottom. Each of these mics was assigned a channel and then those two channels were linked. This linked channel showed a signal coming into it when a mic was tested, but we were unable to hear any front of house sound through mains. I verified that gain was set on on both channels. We were rushed, near showtime, and I wasn't able to further troubleshoot. We turned his Leslie amp up onstage and went with that.

If a bad XLR cable was at play, could one bad cable cancel front of house sound for both of two channels linked? What else might I be missing here?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:14:57 PM by c172essna »

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
Re: No Front Of House Sound For Linked Channel
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
I imagine one or both channels were unassigned from the mains and the "unassigned" status followed to the linked.

wkndwarrior

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »
Could it be the channel was not actually assigned to the Main L/R?  If you had the keys assigned to a subgroup, was the subgroup itself assigned to Main L/R and the fader up? Another possibility is if the keys were assigned to a DCA, the fader for that would have to be pushed up also. It is doubtful a bad cable was at fault, as you were apparently getting a strong signal on your inputs. Let us know what the actual problem was!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:42:45 PM by wkndwarrior »

c172essna

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
Problem soved. It was a combination of human error (what else is new?) and equipment failure.

One of two SM57's being used went south. All cables were fine. In addition, one of the two linked Leslie channels wasn't assigned to Main L/R within the "Full Band" L/R subgroup we use.

On the plus side, this situation provided an opportunity to get reimmersed in some important aspects of the MasterFader manual. Thanks all!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
I made some video tutorials about Master Fader and the Axis DC16....

here is the link for Mackie Master Fader tutorials...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzszLFsXJuT38B4fNljbOdGqY6w0ioi8N

and here is the link for the Mackie Axis DC16 tutorials...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzszLFsXJuT0JF9CVVaM-kd_7SmooHQ39

I want to mention that video "PART 4" in the Mackie Axis DC16 tutorials has extensive detail about compressors and gates.
If you want to go straight to that part it is @ 11:27
Have fun!
Dan