Author Topic: Using your DL1608 as a Stage box?  (Read 6340 times)

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
Using your DL1608 as a Stage box?
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
So I have a DL1608, iPad Air, and an Apple Express WiFi.

Have never used the wifi mixing yet, although want to do it, but haven't had the time to set it up besides during a show, and don't want to test it for the first time at a show. But after last Saturday's show of running back and forth to adjust the mix, I'm ready to.

I have a 75' EWI 16x4 snake, bu wondering how many of you are setting up the DL1608 back where it would be a stage box, and then getting the Airport Express up high enough to then just mix with the iPad? If I could leave the snakes at home and just plug inputs, mains and monitors in once, it would mean less stuff in the case.

Normally I'm mixing while playing guitar, and with our band it's mostly set and forget. I could set the input gains at 70% on most channels and be fine except for drums.

Is anyone doing this, and if so, what do I need to watch out for? part of me thinks it would be great, and part of me is worried not having the mixer up on a table.

Thanks!
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Ampli

• Knight
Re: Using your DL1608 as a Stage box?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »
I use the dl1608 on that way for 4 years, with the epress sitting build in a case right next to the dl1608
Never had problems
Setting it up is as simple a logging in with the express, than select it in setup, normaly it takes about 10 sec
If your ipad is already loged in on the express it shows everytime u log in with wifi
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:07:04 PM by Ampli »

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:22:00 PM »
Same here, in fact I've never mixed on it docked. The 1608 is a stage box, with the Airport Express as the access point for my iPad. I do recommend the latest iPad (Gen7) for the best connection and processor speed. I haven't touched a snake in 5 years.

Rick Scofield

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:16 PM »
We use two dl1608s and a dl32r this way (not all together of course), never with anything docked, other than for use as playback or 2-track recording. Flawless.

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 02:50:00 AM »
Thanks all. Need to practice with this set up at home and then may get to retire the snake. I realized at this show that running a 75' snake back to the DL1608 was kind of redundant...
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
We use two dl1608s and a dl32r this way (not all together of course), never with anything docked, other than for use as playback or 2-track recording. Flawless.

Same here - DL32R on stage as a stage box, with our tech mixing the show on one or two iPads, with band members doing their own monitor mixing on iPads. The DL1608 is our backup - used exactly the same way.

The cool thing about the DL32R is that it also gives us a full multitrack recording of the show on a USB hard drive without us having to connect an iPad locally.

Cheers,

Torsten

4mal

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 04:07:15 AM »
Thanks all. Need to practice with this set up at home and then may get to retire the snake. I realized at this show that running a 75' snake back to the DL1608 was kind of redundant...

You are kidding ?  Right ?

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:37:05 AM »
I have not used a snake for my band since the first Mackie DL came out.  That's the beauty of mixing on tablets as a control surface.

The only things that are difficult (but not impossible) are using external effects and controlling your break music.

For effects, if you are using just one setting, say for a delay, no problem, run it back in on an input and you can control from the iPad by level - you can't get on the stage to change a setting though...   so, maybe set the mixer and effects on the side where you can get to it.  Or, put it by the drummer and have him change it from notes on a set list - even a drummer can change a patch muahahahahs

Then, there's break music.   The cure for that is an MP3 player that continuously plays, just bring up those channels when needed.

But wait, you have a singer that uses a track.... sigh. Of course you do if using at a church. How do you deal with that?

Glad you asked.   I have the airport's audio run into the dl32r/1608.
I have one of the iPads on stage used for mixing monitors which runs tango remote app in server mode.

I use Tango Remote app from the iPad Pro I mix from to control the iPad and tango player/server on the stage.

I can load tracks, setup playlists, etc.   

In a pinch you can stream from the iPad you mix on directly to the airport but be aware that if you lose signal, even for a sec, it might be embarrassing....

So, ironically, after saying I have not used a snake it 5 years, just yesterday, my custom made snake came in...
It's so I can use the mackie for my in ear monitors, and have control of what I hear on stage, even when a pro audio company is doing sound for us, or when we play a venue with house sound.
Very short isolated split snake though, so not some bohemoth, and it's only on the stage.