Author Topic: DL32R channels not working - Performing surgery today...  (Read 1149 times)

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
Re: DL32R channels not working - Performing surgery today...
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »
Just had a fella call me who found me through this forum.  He'd driving up from GA for me to look at his mixer that has lost several outputs.   
I may have just found a new source of income! hahaha
Well, if that is what is wrong with it (I say there's a 90% chance).

Mackie DL32R in/out repair - cheap - call today! bahaha

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »
Mark drove in with his DL32R in a big rack...  I helped him remove it from the rack and popped it open.
Unplugged each of the cables and plugged them back in a couple times.

It's now working.  His has been losing channels for over a year. He thought it was due to some voltage differential until he found this thread but he was nervous about opening it up.

I ain't scared!  He's good to go for a while.

We talked about hot glue, but in looking at it, I worried that hot glue could somehow be conductive, and besides, they had not worked themselves loose at all.
His were tight against the sockets - not seeing how hot glue would help.

I didn't want to put deoxit on there either since it's not mine.   

But, there ya go.   15 minutes and a sore wrist from unscrewing and screwing.   Guess I need an electric screwdriver!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:09 PM »
If the cables stay put then why not try  No-OX-ID to keep it from oxidizing? Just apply with a flat blade screwdriver at the female end, but after removing most of the oxidation. Also the 3M cables are prone to relaxation and may need to be squeezed (small vice) after some time. The connector came from the telecom development main difference being stranded instead of solid core wire. Hot glue is definitely non-conductive and you apply it to tie the two plastic connectors together.
When in doubt KISS

tgath

• Initiate
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
Thank you for this info HotAsAPepper... I have had similar issues with my DL1608 a did a similar procedure to correct it and it worked... for a while. On my specific mixer the problem is on the Aux bus. All of them the same. My band mates do not appreciate the loss of their monitors during the show. Believe me. I constantly reassure them that Mackie is quality stuff ...and they roll their eyes.  I did take the opportunity to sign and date the PC board's metal shield while I had it apart as you said above.  I appreciate your post as it validates my (perceived) insanity... :-)  This week I bought a DL32R thinking it would alleviate the issue. Oh boy, here we go again...

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »
Thank you for this info HotAsAPepper...

Lost an input at the last gig...     Now to plan a time to take it apart and this time, I may try de-oxit on it.

If I can scrape together some $$, I'm going to buy another DL32r and move this one to my studio and have it as a spare...