Other Digital Mixers > Behringer X-Air

A gaggle of Turkeys??

(1/6) > >>

WK154:
Well couldn't leave well enough alone and was going for a Ui24. Well being heavily invested in Behringer I decided otherwise. So my new acquisitions are none other than a M12, M18, and yes a X-Touch. The trial by fire is Dec. 2 Christmas show. The X-Touch won't be part of that. Totally battery powered.
The gear is :
2- JBL LA50 CBT's
XY from 2 ADK SP-1
XY from 2 JM27 Joe Meek
2 wireless Sennheiser E835's
M12 Mixer (in the mail)
Yamaha keyboard etc.
Video Q4n Zoom
A small enough venue of ~ 300 to not require the chorus to be mic'd.
I'll do a comparison (X-Air vs. Mxx)  after the holidays to see if was worth it all.

WK154:
Well the first Turkey a M12 died after 6 hrs. of AP wireless connection. Yes the Midas died (no WiFi). I'll finally will see what their service is about. The Behringer XR12 did just fine for the show. I needed the stereo playback feature or I would have used the M18. It just needs a lot of extra junk (laptop). Noise was not any problem in a live show. I bought it for use in the studio.

WK154:
Not so fast here. It seems that the MR12 managed to get into a state where in the AP position the MR12 would not issue a beacon (not visible to other devices). AFAIK there are no options to hide the SSID when the  MR12 is in DHCP (server) mode. Yet I found the beacon gone in AP mode (WiFi analyzer). Solution was a paperclip (reset). I was about to send the unit back but decided to give it one more chance and start with the basics. Lesson learned one more time. There may be some combination of actions that need to be explored that would cause this. After all it's a computer and software.

WK154:
Well the lesson learned is to follow your instincts. After many moons and a recent attempt to reuse the MR12 I found myself loosing connection again (takes a while (over 24hrs.) or lots of traffic). So I embarked on a more thorough  evaluation. Looks like I will find out what the Midas 10 yr. warranty is all about afterall. The MR12 Beacon looks more like a saw-tooth instead of what all other XR12/18 MR18 are giving (using Nuts-About-Nets Discovery software). No Software involved since there is no consistency between the MR12 and other units. Using Firmware 1.17 and current apps on iPad, Android and PC.  I see no need for packet analysis since the WiFi chip (already obsolete MRF24WG0MB) needs to be replaced at minimum. The unit will survive loss in beacon up to a point and then the only recovery I found was to restart the MR12, not good. Results send it back!

WK154:
When you think you have figured it all out up shows Murphy (Murphy's Law). Checking with more than one tool regarding Beacon strength I found too many discrepancies. Android's is a different app than the PC and none seem to be in sync. So I will need to haul out the big guns (RF analyzer Signal Hound) and have a look. Wire-Shark will require some additional hardware to deal with Wireless which I don't have yet  :). In any case it still fails and no longer reconnects from any of the control apps until a power cycle. I did notice that the Beacon reappears after switching to any other mode and back to AP so it acts like all 4 devices are in use but no control of MR12 and will not let others in. Stay tuned my Kitchen project has priority  :). Bottom line for now is use a wired connection certainly not the build in garbage. A quality wireless router using 5 GHz is a viable compromise. FYI Apple has discontinued all WiFi routers since April 2017. Get something else if you need one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version