Author Topic: A gaggle of Turkeys??  (Read 13531 times)

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
Re: A gaggle of Turkeys??
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
Now, I they added some firmware that would allow you to stream 18 individual tracks to attached storage, I could eliminate the need to bring the laptop. I don't trust my Ipad to have enough space to record 4 hours of 18 tracks.
Plug up one ear and make it mono!

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 03:50:42 PM »
That may work and there are Apple certified versions from Redpark (a little boxy). Let us know if it works.
http://redpark.com/lightning-ethernet-adapter/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsJquyIaO3wIVNx6tBh0_5gVxEAEYASAAEgL5ovD_BwE
Also pricey at $99 plus lightning to USB micro cable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:07:56 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 03:14:12 AM »
Yup I got it. Now for my test, I pulled the plug by accident :-[ So the count started again. I did remember to reboot the iPad this time round. So we're at 12 hrs again and all is well. The static info remained and startup was a lot faster. Time will tell. The switch is in the AP position so DHCP is active but I will stay away from any assignments. iPad is set at 192.168.1.200 out of the range of the DHCP servers 100-132. Hope it holds.
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 09:46:06 AM »
Well the MR12 died somewhere between 24-32Hrs (I do sleep). Interestingly enough the XR12 and the MR18 have been running for 2-3 days prior to the start of the MR12 test. No communications and I now have the XR12 under the same test for about 12 hrs , using the same iPad, now and no failure yet. So as long as there is no AP WiFi  communication to a tablet or PC everything is OK. I expect the XR12 to also quit soon. The iPad has been running since the reboot and appears not to be the source of the problem. Everything points to the X-Air/M-Air product line communications for the eventual failure. The question is when will it fail on you, in the middle of a gig or will the audience use of phones bring it to a quick end? This is all done with whats known as a Black Box test where little is known about the workings of the Black Box (XR/MR mixers). It's also pointless to attempt going beyond this without knowledge of the code. That's the Music Tribes job. After this I will revisit the wired hookup.
Update: As expected the XR12 died 2-10 hrs later, about the same 24-32 hrs duration. This makes the AP setting unreliable for gigs since recovery requires a power cycle on the mixer.
Just to be certain the MR18 also died after the 24-32 hr duration of being controlled. :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:01:21 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
Wired test now in progress since 12/10 11PM. Since I wanted to simulate the AP limits I set the MR12 as the DHCP source. Using my Cisco WiFi router with DHCP off. MR12 switched to Ethernet and connected to the Cisco. Same iPad never rebooted using 2.4GHz band now connected to the Cisco. Hopefully we have a Energizer Bunny instead of a Turkey  :).
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
Wow didn't expect this, 13 hrs later and it died. Now I need to hook up the MR12 Ethernet (wired no DHCP known as Link-local addressing with IP 169.254/16  ). and it better survive. This is the way I've been using it without problems, but at most 8hrs. Control via PC.

Correction I was using the mixers DHCP server in the wired configuration.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:35:53 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »
Well that was a bust. It managed to stay alive for 16-24hrs before loosing connection. The only positive is that the reconnect worked (no mixer lockup). Unfortunately it only survived for about another hr. before loosing connection twice more. There was no WiFi involved here including the PC (WiFi turned off). Recovery is the unacceptable MR12 power cycle. So even the wired only connection is unreliable in Link-local mode (IP 169.254/16). This is with firmware 1.17 and M-Air app 1.5 with a W10 PC. Interestingly the Midas website now only shows firmware 1.16, is there a message in this? There are only 2 cell phones active here and 4 other AP's for FYI for the previous tests so no overloaded 2.4 GHz band. My computers on WiFi last several months 24/7 without disconnects so you draw your own conclusion or better yet test it for yourself.  I may when I have time reload V1.16 of the firmware and try again after the Holidays. The current workaround is to power cycle all devices before a gig and hope it lasts. The 2.4 GHz band of course is out of the question.

Update: Amazingly firmware 1.17 reappeared, uhmm.  Nice job Chase!
Power cycled one more time and unlike Old Faithful it died after 16-24 hrs.
Time for the Tribe to fix this problem!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:36:47 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 09:06:57 PM »
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 12:13:54 PM »
So my first test with the USB/ETHERNET/LIGHTNING plug was a little less than perfect. Ethernet works to wire my iPad Pro directly to the MR18 (check). Lightning connector allows the iPad to charge while in use (check). The USB is an added feature that I probably won't use much and I didn't test that. BUT here is the problem I am having now. With no dongle plugged into the iPad, music that I am playing streams to Aux Input (on the MR18) as expected. When the dongle is plugged in, I am loosing this connection and I haven't figured out how to change the routing to have this working again.

Is there some setting that I can't find in Settings (iPad General) that would define where music is output?
Is there some routing in X-Air to redirect the music playback to Aux Input, that I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 04:59:25 PM »
My iPad is used in a test til after midnight your time but the PC version under the Aux channel look at input and select the source A/D or USB. Hope this is what your looking for. This source selection is also available in Setup>Monitor source drop-down for headphones out.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:18:33 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 05:30:11 PM »
I can't get the music that I playing on the iPAD to route to the AUX IN channel no matter what I try. This is with NOTHING plugged into the iPad.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 03:46:49 AM »
That's understandable since the only digital music into the mixer is with the USB connection to the iPad (DAW's etc.). The rest of the inputs are all analog. So you will need the USB and a program on the iPad to play back music. It definitely requires a USB to iPad connection. WIFI or Ethernet are only for control.
When in doubt KISS

LeeSteel

• Super Lee
  • Padawan
    • Lee Steel
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
I ended up using a 1/8" headphone jack to 2 1/4" jacks so I can plug directly into 17/18 line in.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 03:31:40 AM »
I occasionally use a Bluetooth receiver plugged into 17,18 for a "wireless" connection to play music from a tablet. Most tablets have Bluetooth ability.
When in doubt KISS