Author Topic: My MAJOR mistake with DL32R READ!!!!!  (Read 6310 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
My MAJOR mistake with DL32R READ!!!!!
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:31 AM »
I used the DL32R this afternoon for multi-track audio for a video shoot of a band.

After connecting the DL32R to my Mac Pro to transfer the audio, I discover that I have no audio from the entire day.
I looked at the routing screen and sure enough,,,, NONE of the mic preamps were routed to the USB drive for recording, no routing (white dots) zip, zilch, nadda, NONE.

Here is the disappointing thing...
Last night, I loaded the JULY 4 2017 show where this same band performed and then I recalled the JULY 4th 2017 snapshot since it had everything I needed for the video shoot.
At the conclusion of one of the breaks for the band back on July 4th, I remember playing back the "LIVE" multi-track recording that I had just made and everyone was blown away.

For this video shoot, I choose the JULY 4th 2017 show and recalled the snapshot named July 4 then I clicked (Store Snapshot) and named it "VIDEO"
So, I get to the theater today where the video shoot is to be and I recall VIDEO, and thought everything was good to go... NOPE.

I am not mad at anyone but myself. I was overloaded with responsibilties, providing monitoring and cameras and running a jib, I failed to play back the first take to verify that everything was good. MY MISTAKE...
I won't make that mistake again.

Dan

When and how did Master Fader decide to delete routing of all 32 mic preamps and remember everything else.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:31:36 AM by dpdan »

ToH2002

• Padawan
Re: My MAJOR mistake with DL 30 2R READ!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
Whoa - that sounds scary! I'll have to check recording routings more frequently now - thanx for the heads-up!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:43:44 PM by ToH2002 »

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:02:13 PM »
I record every show my band does, and most rehearsals....  And when I do sound for others, or recording of live shows for others, I also am recording.

So, as you can imagine, that's HUNDREDS of shows recorded, with many different configs...  One might be only a dozen tracks at a time, and others might be 20 or even as many as 28 I think was the most.

BUT, most of those are recorded to the USB drive.  Only on a handful of times have I recorded to an attached computer.

I have had a couple times when I screwed up and selected that I wanted to record 20 channels, when in fact, I really needed to record 24 because I was thinking "I'm only using 20 inputs", but had one of those plugged into channel 24.

The Mackie DL32R has not failed me with routing - yet.    It's all been my mistake so far.

The only thing with recording that annoys me is that my system time and date is so far off that everything written to my USB drive is months in the past =(

Good luck, hope it never happens to you again (or anyone else!)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:24:29 AM »
I am so bummed out about it but I'll get over it though, and never make that mistake again.
I have done around 350 jobs or actually more with the DL32R and some are multitrack with the USB SSD drive attached.
It was common for me to use my Mac laptop and Digital Performer to record all 32 tracks via USB connected to the laptop, but when I got the DC16 controller console with Dante card,
it was so nice to be able to leave the laptop at home and simply record to the USB drive. I switched to an SSD drive after experiencing skipping from the connected hard drive sitting too close to a sub cabinet.

I used to record just the channels I was using but remember saying to myself,,,, "just record all 32 who cares, that drive has tons of space, I can get rid of the blank ones at home"
Dan

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:29:42 AM by dpdan »

robbocurry

• Optimist Prime
  • Master
Re: My MAJOR mistake with DL32R READ!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 11:04:37 AM »
That's a tough break Dan!!
The older I get, the better I was!

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: My MAJOR mistake with DL32R READ!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:56:39 AM »
That's a tough break Dan!!

it's great to see you here again!!!
I just saw a new Allen & Heath console, the SQ6.... Completely awesome BUT wait,,,,

That horrid app,,, and having to use the console even when you only need iPad control.
Oh well, nice stuff but I am loving the Mackie DC16 and the luxury of not having to have it on every job,,,
if I do a concert, well then I mix on the DC!6, it sure is nice to be able to grab an iPad and stroll the venue or
go on stage to set monitor levels too. Complete flexibility. Now if the SQ6 system could run without the console,,,, THAT would be something!