Author Topic: No output at the headphone jack from DC 16  (Read 6486 times)

Artaudio

• Padawan
No output at the headphone jack from DC 16
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a DC16 (+Dante card) to accompany my DL32.

I have been able to update everything and the console seems to be connecting to the DL32. I have a few shows prerecorded and been using that to verify all other features of the DC16. Everything else seems to be functioning as normal. However, I am not getting any audio from the headphone jack on the DC16. That also includes any solo selections.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks

Al T

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: No output at the headphone jack from DC 16
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:45:23 PM »
Hi Art,
the obvious,  volume control turned up in the upper right corner of the DC16? Sorry...  ;)
I too have a DC16 and love it,,,
When you have some time... have a look at these two playlists I made for Mackie DL32R users.

This playlist covers a ton of stuff about the Mackie DL32R and Master Fader.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_Nkm_xeQc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_Nkm_xeQc</a>

This playlist is for the DC16 but also includes great info about gates and compression in PART 4.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpMqoNBskJ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpMqoNBskJ0</a>

here is a short set of instructions...
go to the routing screen in Master Fader and choose the "Dante" tab and make sure that the Monitor L is routed to Dante 31, and Monitor R is routed to Dante 32. 

In case a number of things seem to be not working, you could do what I do and reset the Dante Routing to it's factory default settings, and here's how....

hold down ALT and hit the DYN button,
the second display shows: Connected to DL32R FOH Change?... push the button below this second display,
the fourth display shows: DL32R Select... push the button below this fourth display,
the fifth window shows: MON empty... push the button below this fifth display and wait a few seconds,

Now the console is setup for a monitor position which we don't want, so we will change it back to FOH and then we will be given the option to use the "default routing".

hold down ALT and hit the DYN button,
the second display now shows: Connected to DL32R MON Change?... push the button below this second dislpay,
the fourth display shows: DL32R Select... push the button below this fourth display,
the fourth display shows: FOH empty... push the button below this fourth display,
the second display shows: Auto Route Dante and DL32R Routing? don't push this button... instead, 

push the button below the third display "YES" then wait a few seconds for the routing to return to the default settings.

If you are like me, I use this console in a number of different ways and sometimes I change some of the settings in the routing page of Master Fader.
It is sometimes easier to just reset the Dante Routing default settings.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:15:27 PM by dpdan »

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
Thanks DPDan.

Obvious? Check! And Check again!

I will do that reset again.. Maybe it is somewhere in the auto route that messed up.  I had to do an upgrade and maybe i should have done a reset after the update. I’ll get back to you if all else fails.

I have been looking at a DC16 for a while. I even got a chance to see it at 2016 Winter NAMM when it was released and loved the GUI then. But just couldn’t swallow the price tag.. Patience did pay off and I found a demo unit in great shape and now just have to get a case for it.

I have looked over a few of your vids. Great stuff. Thanks for doing that. It is very helpful.

Al T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:43:34 PM »
that's great Art,
it is so cool to have a system that does not require the use of the console.
And then to have a console that is so beautiful to use.

never hesitate to call
https://www.kurysound.com

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 02:27:36 AM »
Yes. Back in 2003-2005 era I purchased a Roland Vmixer VMC7200 and its 20 channel processor VM7200 and toured with it for several years. It was at the time, the smallest 24 channel digital mixer available. The processor was able to be severed from the console and keep all features running in the background until you were able to get the console fired back up. I was able to fly the rig as extra baggage at the time. Very similar to the Allen & Heath iLive systems but smaller. Love the redundancy of that setup.

Cheers
Al T

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »
Hello All,

Well, I found my problem.  Apparently your supposed to update your Dante card as well (Sarcasm).

All outputs seem to be allowing audio to pass now.

However I have stumbled onto another issue now. It seems that any audio travelling through the Monitor L&R Buss has a permanent 130ms SlapBack delay. Also the output meters on both  the iPad and the DC16 show a similar delay between the input channel meter and the output meter. As well, when I adjust the output delay (ie time alignment), there is no change in the delay audio coming through the Monitor L&R. However when I compare it to the XLR outputs, everything seems to function fine there. Everything seems to be isolated to the Monitor L&R output buss. Even the solo (which travels through the Monitor L&R buss) is affected.

When I change the patching for the Monitor L&R to the MAIN L&R, the audio seems to be fine. No delay is heard.

All of the XLR outputs seem to be working as normal. 

Anybody else noticed this?

Al T

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
I have never heard of updating the Dante card.

Are you sure the delay slider is completely off?

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »
Yes. You are correct. I missed that. Since I use my iPad meters to do quick line checks, I have never had a need to use the headphone out. So I haven’t caught this issue before now.

Yup! There is a Dante firmware update.  Certainly made a difference for me. It’s available through the service portal.

Thanks again Dan for all your help.

Cheers
Al T
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:22:43 PM by Artaudio »

Artaudio

• Padawan
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
Since I have gotten most of the bugs out of my new rig, I have been playing around with delay on the auxes. I have a few gigs where I set up a couple delay stacks and use 1 or 2 aux sends (post fader) to feed the stacks.

What I have noticed when I monitor (solo) the delay aux, I don’t hear the delay through the solo. However the DL32 seems to be putting delay on the XLR aux send as it should.

Hmmm. 
Kind of weird. I thought that one would like to hear the delay being imposed on to the aux. Maybe it is on purpose as their is already delay setting on the solo feature. It’s like the monitor buss is taking its signal pre delay and post eq and post compression.

Anybody else noticed this or is it one of the many things I’m missing.

It certainly isn’t a big issue. But I do wonder about the reasoning for this.

THANKS
Al T
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:52:06 PM by Artaudio »

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »
Hi Al,

Delay on the headphone-out is usually for aligning the sound in your cans at FOH to the main speakers.

For me, it would not be helpful to hear the delay for the delay fills when sitting forward of the delays.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo