Author Topic: iOS updates - When will I be left behind?  (Read 4887 times)

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
iOS updates - When will I be left behind?
« on: January 20, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
At the minute I run my dl1608 from an iPad 3 iOS9 (docked) and and iPad 2017/5 iOS11 on an airport express. I feel a little bit vulnerable because the iPad 3 is not really going to evolve any further but I'm getting regular update notifications for the iPad 5 so they are getting developmentally further apart.

I imagine at some point MF devs will be obliged to either make a choice between letting go of older iPads and embracing the new capacity or maintaining contact with older iPads and being shut out of the iOS update process.

Anybody care to speculate on how long I have before this time or whether this is an issue at all? Perhaps we've seen the last of MF development.

Wynnd

• Master
Re: iOS updates - When will I be left behind?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:22:36 AM »
My docked ipad is an ipad 2 with the 30 pin connector.   It also is as updated as it ever will be.  I've got two ipad minis, one never going to ios 10 or later.  So I've got two out of three that won't update anymore and I'm not worried.  I'm betting that Master Fader is as updated as it ever will be.  Not really expecting Mackie to continue development on this software.  If I'm wrong, I would probably be happy, but the software is pretty good as it is.  It's way better than when I purchased the mixer in 2013.  So much extra stuff there that wasn't available originally.  (VCA, Groups, Copying channels, View Groups, Mute Groups......)

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:58:34 AM »
Hi Folks,

I agree that the current Master Fader is quite useful, and
am betting on Master Fader 5 coming along.

How far backwards compatibility will extend, I don't know.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:43:04 AM »
http://cacophony.aspinock.com/index.php?topic=1390.msg16772#msg16772
I doubt that you will see V5.0 for the DL1608. More than likely you will see a fork in the app DL1608 and DL32R. New mixer to replace DL1608 who knows.
When in doubt KISS

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
One more thing to keep in mind.  You don't have to upgrade your software.  What we have is very stable with only a few minor quirks.  Nothing coming is for security or stability.  It's only additional features and possible bug fixes.  (Found one the other day.)

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »
Great stuff.

...and the other half of the equation? If my new iPad receives updates and finally goes beyond what the dl1608 can recognise then that lack of MF updates is my biggest problem.

Any thoughts?

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:03:37 PM »
Great stuff.

...and the other half of the equation? If my new iPad receives updates and finally goes beyond what the dl1608 can recognise then that lack of MF updates is my biggest problem.

Any thoughts?

Yes, you should have automatic updates turned off!

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:22 PM »
I suspected that would be the case [sad face with a hint of fatalistic resignation].

I suppose that puts a time limit on my Mackie association then, pity. Whose idea was this constant progress anyway?

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
I suspected that would be the case [sad face with a hint of fatalistic resignation].

I suppose that puts a time limit on my Mackie association then, pity. Whose idea was this constant progress anyway?
At the top of the list is Apple whose business plan is to eliminate older models. So your option is to buy a new unit when MF no longer functions on the new iOS. Careful with updating since you can't readily go back to an older version. If other features are desired then for now you may need to think about moving on. Cable problems show up with age and other issues discussed here so it may be wise to eventually switch, Don't buy into a product that has a single source for the control such as the iPad. Treat the control surface as the primary part of the unit and other apps as secondary. Good luck with your decision.
When in doubt KISS

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
I'm still hoping for at least one more major update for the 1608 - maybe a second reverb, additional virtual stereo aux for recording so you don't lose real ones, crossover.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
For a five and a half year old product I doubt that the new kids on the block will throw any $ at it. If I were them a replacement should be in the wings. The field unfortunately is quite competitive. Good Luck Mackie.
When in doubt KISS