Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Mackie DL32R locked up during show

(1/11) > >>

JohnMHoyt:
Well, last night we were playing for thousands of our closest friends at one of the areas largest weekly music concert series and opted to run our own sound since we had 8 people on stage and our tech knows us better than the sound company....

We used the DL32R, and provided the sound company a L+R feed to their system for mains.

Everything was great until 3/4 of the way through the show... Halfway through the 2nd hour and a half or so....

We were still connected via wi-fi to our router, but, MF went dormant...   Red disconnected indicator.  The system stayed live, with the mix exactly where it was, but there was no control from any iPad.
Today I checked and sure enough, the recording also stopped at the exact time this happened.

Now I have the DL on my kitchen table running for the last 30 minutes or so with a signal into it to see if this happens again.

My recordings are ruined - we had a 4 camera shoot, and was depending on that multitrack.

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   At least the show wasn't totally ruined.  We just didn't have effects or control.   

I believe the effects were down (delay and verb) too. Not sure if they crashed along with the control services or if the tech had them muted or down just before it went sideways.

This is the second time something like this has happened. The first time was at a bar gig, so we took a break and rebooted.   

Nothing else was affected - we were on solid mains, and we have a power conditioner too.

WK154:
Sounds like it's time to retire the DL32R with all that history of cable failures etc.. I wouldn't wait for another critical show to ruin your reputation, Mackie's not worth that.

JohnMHoyt:

--- Quote from: WK154 on March 17, 2018, 03:39:40 PM ---Sounds like it's time to retire the DL32R with all that history of cable failures etc.. I wouldn't wait for another critical show to ruin your reputation, Mackie's not worth that.

--- End quote ---

If this ever happens to anyone... just finish the song, announce a quick break, turn the mains and mons off reboot mackie, wait a minute after power is back on and bring the mains+mons back online.. should only be down 2 minutes max... start recording again and get the show going.

Maybe I will take up juggling to entertain while it reboots.

Sure is sad that this happened at this particular show. Not like a wedding, or bar gig where we could stop... 

Not sure what other mixer to look at, I don’t want a physical console. I need 32 inputs, need 12+ outs, need 32 channel direct to disk recording. Those aren’t wants at this stage of the game.

WK154:
A X32 rack and a S16 stage box along with the recording card would meet the requirements. Haven't heard of X32's locking up. No cables to re-seat inside. Music files don't need to be separated. Expandable to 40 channels.

WK154:
A quick survey on the net leaves you with company. Turns out that Cinderella turns into a pumpkin after about 2-2.5Hrs. So  the reboot should be planed for before 2Hrs of operation. Mackie has a horrible track record for fixing intermittent problems (remember "white noise").

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version