Author Topic: DL32r skips when I record  (Read 9462 times)

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
Re: DL32r skips when I record
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »
Hi John,
Mackie hasn't been able to provide you with a solution for the time? If the Dl32 is still under warranty why not send it back if you can spare the time? BTW nice Video, lots of gear. On the other subject Seagate and WD are duking it out in the 8 TB USB drive size at around $150. To address the Torsten "technical jargon" misinformation, it's all about the flash controller. Currently there are many "Thumb drive" packaged SSD's such as the Corsair GTX, Sandisk Extreme Pro etc. at speeds far exceeding the 30MB (real world) transfer speed of the DL32 (yes I can  do the math but you'll never see 60MB on a USB 2.1). Since it requires at most 6MB/s for the 32 channels it's overkill. If Mackies recording software assumes a Fat32 target (4GB file size limit) then it will need to deal with multiple files for longer recordings, hence the question about exFat or NTFS etc.. USB has nothing to do with this. So if someone can answer that it would be useful.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:37:39 AM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

JohnMHoyt

• Knight
  • Wherever you go, there you are
    • Hot As A Pepper Party & Event Band
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 06:50:45 PM »
Hi John,
Mackie hasn't been able to provide you with a solution for the time? If the Dl32 is still under warranty why not send it back if you can spare the time? BTW nice Video, lots of gear.

My Mackie is way out of warranty....  Going to just buy a new one, then maybe use this one in the studio and as a backup, or maybe they can look at it out of warranty. Just cannot spare it for a week or two without having another already in place!   Hopefully I can find a good deal!

Thanks RE the video, the young lady who fronts my band has an original act and they just wanted to record their rehearsal so they can hear what they sound like before an upcoming show.  It was really just a simple setup, I didn't even have good mics with me... A set of cheap MXL overheads, and a 57 on the snare and one on the bass drum....   Everything else was direct.  The mix was pretty much the preamp mix with 'verb added only on vocals.   Probably didn't spend 10 minutes on it and man, it does sound decent for live.

My area of expertise is in the IT field, that's what I get paid for anyway, and having streamed 4k video to flash memory, and even multiple IP cameras with 1-4 megapixel resolution to thumb drives, I can say, they are hardly a bottleneck in most cases, but they cannot keep up with even the cheapest USB hard drives. That's not based on calculations, or spec - but on simple real-world usage we see all the time.

The next DL32R (DL32R-II?  R2D2?) should provide a faster interface, and maybe even two USB outs, maybe an SD card slot - it's time.   People like options. 

Weogo

• Knight
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 07:06:21 PM »

Hi WK,

Remember, with the DL32R, recording direct to laptop is always an option.

When recording with USB drives, I sometimes stop after each song and re-start, though
often I just let it run for the first half, then second half of the show. 
For me, the 4GB file size isn't an issue.  ProTools, Reaper and many other software programs will line the files up end to end and seamlessly.

And John, again, if you want to borrow my DL32R, I won't need it for several weeks.
(Working three other systems right now.  Two are DL32Rs.)

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 06:00:00 AM »
Hi Weogo,
Don't forget the Dante card option which will give 1 more means of recording (simultaneous with USB) a choice you don't have with the USB connections (it's one or the other). File size as it turns out is a max of 2GB (half a Fat32 file limit) on the USB drive (I occasionally RTFM, my bad). Too bad Mackie didn't check what capacity and storage format is on the recording end and use it for sizing the recording. Stopping after each song, if you can do it,  makes more sense so the limit won't be reached and you don't have to separate songs afterwards.
Cheers

P.S. It's generous and thoughtful of you to offer your DL32 to John. :thu:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:37:40 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS