Author Topic: Another reverb in Aux question  (Read 3179 times)

jasonprice07

• Initiate
Another reverb in Aux question
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:00:55 PM »
Hi All,
While doing the sound last night for a 6 piece covers band (my wife's) with the 1608 I ran into a problem I've not faced before. Band has 2 lead singers with separate monitor mix's. Male singer (1) only wants to hear himself so in AUX1 I only had his channel active. Part way through the set he asks me to remove the female singer (2) from his monitor, I reply that only he is in AUX1 but after the next song he again asks me to remove the female singer (2). Now I think he is taking the piss, so I tell him so and we end up in a heated argument (not very professional but the pub was pretty empty). I plug in headphones and solo AUX1 and to my surprise the female voice (2) is indeed present. ???
After some head scratching I realised it was the reverb from (2) that was also in AUX1, I was trying a different reverb setting last night which was more noticeable than I have tried in the past.
I've got the 1608 set up at the moment but cant find a way to  stop the reverb from (2) getting into the AUX1 output without turning off the AUX1 reverb completely.
Any ideas?

Cheers

Wynnd

• Master
Re: Another reverb in Aux question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »
Best answer is to just take the effects out of the AUX channel.  Does a singer really need reverb in their monitor?  NO.  Save that for the FOH.

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:45:58 PM »
Hmmm, @Wynnd, are you a singer? A lot of us singers explicitly want reverb on our vocal monitors, especially for in-ear-monitoring. Gives better feedback on what we are doing - and gives us kind of a comfort blanket ;-) Singing with a dry in-ear signal feels a bit like singing in a completely dampened, "dead" room - creepy!

Of course, it's different if you sing with a classic monitor wedge on a sonically active stage with sufficient reflections - that may be enough to feel good with a "dry" monitor signal - especially if the feedback from the room gives you an additional reverb tail.

On the original poster's question: the reverb effects on the DL series are "send effects", i.e. all channels can send input to the reverb, which then processes the sum of all inputs. The output of this reverb then goes to the main LR output, and you can also enable it on your aux channels. But of course the reverb signal then contains the processed reverb from ALL signals that send input to the reverb.

If you had multiple reverbs (as on the DL32R), you could get around this by dedicating one reverb only to your egocentric lead singer (this means using a different reverb send for that singer) and having everybody else use the other one, but since your DL1608 only has one reverb, this isn't an option. So if your male singer wants reverb on his monitor, he'll have to live with the reverb signal of everyone else in his monitor.

Of course, you could also plug a separate reverb processor into the path from the DL1608 to the guy's monitor, so he has a dedicated reverb for his monitor, but I'd consider this a bit of overkill, especially in a pub setting...

Cheers,

Torsten 

jasonprice07

• Initiate
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Cheers Torsten, exactly as I thought.

shufflebeat

• Padawan
  • XXL
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:04:24 PM »
Solution 1

Use the delay on the female vox rather than reverb

Solution 2

(I've only messed about with this in fun but it does work, try before you commit, though). If you can spare an Aux then use the recording matrix to send (for instance) Aux 6 (post fade) to the record output, through a reverb app you've installed on your docked iPad, then return it via the "iPad audio" channel.

Send the iPad audio to the male singer's monitor. *Under no circumstances send the iPad audio out on aux 6 (if that's the one you've patched to the reverb)*.