Author Topic: New stuff coming  (Read 22238 times)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: New stuff coming
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2018, 10:21:42 PM »
I see these killing off the DL32R at some point due to cannibalization.

don't hold your breath,
the DL32R is necessary to operate the Axis DC16.
None of the (soon to be released) products have Dante ability and therefore, it would make no sense for Mackie to ditch the DL32R anytime soon since a DC16 requires a DL32R connected via Dante.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 11:53:54 PM by dpdan »

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2018, 02:49:29 AM »
Can someone explain  to me how  this '4 stereo FX processors' is useful and how it can be used?
Thanks..
Each channel has 4 stereo FX processors. You can select which FX to use for each of the 4 processors. For example, you can choose large room reverb for one, delay for another, and so on. You can also adjust the parameters for each FX.
Mackie Junkie

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
Each channel has 4 stereo FX processors.

Not quite - this is about the "send effects", not the channel effects.

@Ram: Think of these as the classic 19'' effect processors you used to use with your mixing desk. They are common to all channels; you can control how much of your signal you send to the effect box ("effect send"), then the signal from all channels will be mixed, processed by the FX processor and returned back to the main mix (usually).

Currently, the DL32R has two dedicated reverb processors and one delay; the DL1608 only has one of each. These are fixed, so processor 1 is ALWAYS a reverb (although you can set the parameters differently between reverb 1 and reverb 2 on the DL32).

The new system, as I understand it, means that:
a) we get more parallel send effecs (4 instead of 3 on the DL32R)
b) we can freely choose what type of effect each slot will be, so if I want three different reverbs, I can have them; if I want one reverb and three different delays - presto! Or any kind of other effect that Mackie will provide (chorus, flanger, exciter, whatever...)

The one limitation however remains: these will still be SEND effects only AFAIK. So no plug-in-effects that you can use as insert on a specific channel. But of course you can abuse a send effect as an insert (send a channel to it pre-fader, mute the channel's main output and use the effect return faderinstead of the channel fader to set volume), but that's a bit convoluted and counter-intuitive.

Cheers,

Torsten
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:46:45 PM by ToH2002 »

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
@Michael: the lengthy and basic explanation wasn't aimed at you, but at Ram who asked the original question.

I know that you know all about send and insert effects    ;D

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:23 PM »
Thanks Toreston,
It was really helpful.
So -in DL16S, i could use :(just an example)
for channel 1:hall reverb from fx1
for channel 2:plate reverb from fx2
for channel 3:medium room reverb from fx3
for channel 4:small room reverb from fx4

Other channels can use any of the above four?
Is this right?
-Ram

ToH2002

• Padawan
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
So -in DL16S, i could use :(just an example)
for channel 1:hall reverb from fx1
for channel 2:plate reverb from fx2
for channel 3:medium room reverb from fx3
for channel 4:small room reverb from fx4

You COULD do that, but that's not how you'd normally go about things.

In normal mix practice, I have a "universal" reverb (medium length, not too bright) that I can use to "flesh out" some sounds, plus a room reverb to create depth in my mix (more room = sound further back in the mix). So I usually have these two in my reverb slots. Then, I normally have a stereo delay with different delay times for left and right and without any repeats for my lead vocals.

So the idea about send effects is that you can add a little dose of them to any number of channels. E.g. my snare drum and tom toms all get a little bit of "universal reverb" (toms more than snare, usually); all my vocal channels get a bit of the stereo delay, and all percussion channels get quite a bit of the room reverb, so they're not so up-front in the mix. Essentially, you have different "flavors" of effects you can add to all your channels to taste via the "send" sliders (or via the effect channel mix view). So it could be useful to add BOTH a bit of delay AND room to some channels - no problem!

So with the DL16S, ALL channels can use ANY combination of the four effects slots; the effects are not allocated to channels at all.

Hope that clarifies things!

Cheers,

Torsten

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
Torsten,
Thanks. That explains my question very well!
-Ram