Author Topic: New stuff coming  (Read 21900 times)

nedorama

• Padawan
    • The Toys Band Instagram page
Re: New stuff coming
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
"DL16S and DL32S are compatible with iOS 10 or later, Android OS 6 or later.
Interesting - I just got a "you're forked" notice today from Dropbox - no longer supports KitKat as of 6/25 so my two 9" tablets are on their way to obsolescence :( . It's implied that MF 5.1 for the DL1608 won't run on any of my three iPads (two iPad 2's plus an original iPad Mini stuck on iOS 9.x) and my two tablets (that I use with my XR12) won't be supported :( . I did just get in today a $40 (shipped) 11" Android tablet that's running Nougat (and even has 5GHz  :eek:) so maybe I'm not totally forked :) .

I know this sucks for you, but on iOS 81% of devices are on iOS11, 14% on iOS10 and 5% on iOS9 or earlier. As a developer, it doesn't make sense to cater to 5% knowing that number will drop far lower in September with iOS12 launching. However, it's a testament that older phones and tablets like an iPad Air 2 or an iPhone 5s are running 11.4. I'm including the links from Apple and Android below, as these are what developers are looking at when they look to see minimum OS to support. In addition, Mackie now has years of data showing them how many (or few) iOS9 devices are being used; my guess is it's a lot lower than 5% and not worth supporting code that was last updated 2 years go - especially when you have 95% of devices running iOS 10 or higher. https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

Android, on the other hand, is a scattered S&*t show. Only 5.7% of Android phones are on Oreo, and only 62% are on Marshmallow or higher - but partially because Android didn't specify what needed to be included in phones and tablets to make them more future proof, and partially because the android team doesn't understand hardware and consumers - people aren't upgrading their phones/tablets yearly. https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/

KitKat and Lollipop is/was a pain in the ass as code needed to be different for each and every flavor of Android by each tablet and phone manufacturer. It's also only 10.3% of installed Android users. So Mackie is being smart and realizing that if they're going to support Android, they need to support the majority of users on the OS version that is easier to code across all Android-powered tablets and phones.

Blame Android, not Mackie on this. I had to work on KitKat compatibility for app-enabled products, and it sucks. While it sucks for us with older tablets, this is the right thing for them to do to keep development costs from spiraling out of control.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
So, for DL16S, the usb to hard drive recording is not there (that's what I saw in the matrix).. then I read that it should be recorded in a pc/mac connected to the mixer on the usb port. If my pc is far from the stage -then do we need a longer usb cable to connect? How long cables are available? Any thing I missed here? 

nedorama

• Padawan
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
USB mixer connection is for desktop recording, so short distances.

If you want to record from afar, you can do it either via WiFi or more likely a CAT 5e cable connected to your Mac/PC.

I also noticed that direct recording from the stage box a la the DL32R is no more, which seems odd, but they may have wanted to keep that as a way to differentiate between the DL32R and the new one. Or just they didn't want to add another port and add more cost...
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
>>you can do it either via WiFi or more likely a CAT 5e cable connected to your Mac/PC.

Are you saying we can record 16 tracks using wifi? I thought it has to be directly connected to USB port of the mixer.
The second point about cat 52 cable... you are suggesting connecting to the DAW on pc from the ethernet port of the mixer.  Can we record 16 tracks using this interface as well?
I thought recording is only from usb port.

nedorama

• Padawan
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
I stand corrected - it looks like the only way you can record is with a long USB cable, which is dumb. Ethernet cable appears to only extend range for using airport Express or direct connection to a laptop for Master Fader, but may not be carrying audio. Which it easily could...

Feels like they took the one feature on the DL32R that people liked and instead of adding it to both new ones, took it out for no apparent reason.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

pytchley

• Knight
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »
Interesting - I just got a "you're forked" notice today from Dropbox - no longer supports KitKat as of 6/25 so my two 9" tablets are on their way to obsolescence :( . It's implied that MF 5.1 for the DL1608 won't run on any of my three iPads (two iPad 2's plus an original iPad Mini stuck on iOS 9.x) and my two tablets (that I use with my XR12) won't be supported :( . I did just get in today a $40 (shipped) 11" Android tablet that's running Nougat (and even has 5GHz  :eek:) so maybe I'm not totally forked :) .

I know this sucks for you, but on iOS 81% of devices are on iOS11, 14% on iOS10 and 5% on iOS9 or earlier. As a developer, it doesn't make sense to cater to 5% knowing that number will drop far lower in September with iOS12 launching. However, it's a testament that older phones and tablets like an iPad Air 2 or an iPhone 5s are running 11.4. I'm including the links from Apple and Android below, as these are what developers are looking at when they look to see minimum OS to support. In addition, Mackie now has years of data showing them how many (or few) iOS9 devices are being used; my guess is it's a lot lower than 5% and not worth supporting code that was last updated 2 years go - especially when you have 95% of devices running iOS 10 or higher. https://developer.apple.com/support/app-store/

Android, on the other hand, is a scattered S&*t show. Only 5.7% of Android phones are on Oreo, and only 62% are on Marshmallow or higher - but partially because Android didn't specify what needed to be included in phones and tablets to make them more future proof, and partially because the android team doesn't understand hardware and consumers - people aren't upgrading their phones/tablets yearly. https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/

KitKat and Lollipop is/was a pain in the ass as code needed to be different for each and every flavor of Android by each tablet and phone manufacturer. It's also only 10.3% of installed Android users. So Mackie is being smart and realizing that if they're going to support Android, they need to support the majority of users on the OS version that is easier to code across all Android-powered tablets and phones.

Blame Android, not Mackie on this. I had to work on KitKat compatibility for app-enabled products, and it sucks. While it sucks for us with older tablets, this is the right thing for them to do to keep development costs from spiraling out of control.

Sorry but all that is a load of propaganda bollocks. Most of the musicians i know seem to have ipad2s. I've got a 3 and a mini and despite their age(!!!) they still work fine and the batteries are holding up. These forced upgrades are a disgrace. We have been brainwashed into thinking that anything digital has a half-life of about 1 year after which we are shamed into updating at great expense. As far as I'm concerned Mackie can stuff their updates, they started with a market leading product with the best software and squandered their advantage with penny pinching support and some spectacular bugs. Now they are bringing out an overpriced Behringer clone. AH here i come.....

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
Nedorama:>>Feels like they took the one feature on the DL32R that people liked and instead of adding it to both new ones, took it out for no apparent reason.
They may be thinking if they provided all the good stuff that DL32R offered, then then there will be not much differentiation and will have to discontinue DL32R model!
I am not defending their position- but guessing what their thinking might be !!

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2018, 04:41:09 AM »
$700 DL16R vs. XR18 at $600 for most it won't fly.  Mackie needs to adjust this. Add to this untried software and it will be awhile before reliability is established.
If they had made it a 2U I'd be interested...

Ampli

• Knight
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2018, 05:18:23 AM »
A 24 channel with 12 ouputs would have filled the gap

RoadRanger

• SysGod
  • Counselor
  • Master
  • "Wherever you go, There you are"
    • Cacophony Forums
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2018, 09:34:35 PM »
Yah, I was hoping to see a DL2412 to fill the niche that Behringer skipped over...

Michael Welter

• Knight
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2018, 10:06:13 PM »
Yah, I was hoping to see a DL2412 to fill the niche that Behringer skipped over...
If Behringer isn't offering it, there must not be a market for it.  :facepalm:
Mackie Junkie

gtrdudes

• Padawan
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »

I was told it was gonna be a 16 and a 24. Seems logical. Why another 32?

nedorama

• Padawan
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »
Nedorama:>>Feels like they took the one feature on the DL32R that people liked and instead of adding it to both new ones, took it out for no apparent reason.
They may be thinking if they provided all the good stuff that DL32R offered, then then there will be not much differentiation and will have to discontinue DL32R model!
I am not defending their position- but guessing what their thinking might be !!

I think you could be right, but given the price point and product similarity, I see these killing off the DL32R at some point due to cannibalization - but I look at that and get excited because down the road the DL32R will get discounted, and may make sense to purchase for me.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

nedorama

• Padawan
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 11:05:20 PM »

Sorry but all that is a load of propaganda bollocks. Most of the musicians i know seem to have ipad2s. I've got a 3 and a mini and despite their age(!!!) they still work fine and the batteries are holding up. These forced upgrades are a disgrace. We have been brainwashed into thinking that anything digital has a half-life of about 1 year after which we are shamed into updating at great expense. As far as I'm concerned Mackie can stuff their updates, they started with a market leading product with the best software and squandered their advantage with penny pinching support and some spectacular bugs. Now they are bringing out an overpriced Behringer clone. AH here i come.....

the iPad 2 is 7 years old - while your musician friends may be using them, overall few people are, and I'm sure Mackie looked at the % of OS on Master Fader and realized OS10 was the farthest back that made reasonable sense.

These aren't forced upgrades - no one is putting a gun to your head to upgrade to 5.0, which may or may not have any to-die-for features that aren't in the current version. If you don't want to upgrade from your iPad 2, you still have a great mixing solution with MF 4.x and the DL1608. Asking for 7 year old anything to be compatible with the latest and greatest software is unreasonable and doesn't make financial sense for Mackie, Apple or other manufacturers. I know at some point my iPad Air that I bought in 2014 will be unable to run iOS13 or work with other apps, but I've already gotten 4 years out of it. Same with my 2013 MacBook Pro, that's rocking Pro Tools 2018 well -- but I know that at some point, Avid will drop support as they try to push forward.
Regards,
Nedorama
DL1608

Ram

• Padawan
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2018, 08:38:03 PM »
Can someone explain  to me how  this '4 stereo FX processors' is useful and how it can be used?
Thanks..