Author Topic: dc16 wont connect to dl32r  (Read 4879 times)

bradp015

• Youngling
dc16 wont connect to dl32r
« on: July 19, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
Hi All,
Im setting up a mackie axis system for a corp that does multimedia broadcasts.
After figuring out how to connect the controller, mixer, wifi router, dante, net ethernet cables, just like the diagram in the dc16 manual I cannot get the dc to complete the connect to the mixer.
The dl32 works with the ipad without the dl16. Iv tried different connect setups regarding the net ethernet to the router>
both controller and mixer connected to router.
only mixer to router
only controller to router.
All with dante cable from controller to mixer (dante cards).

The setup the dl16 gets the furthest is dante from mixer to controller and only controller to router.
It will have an option to select the dl32r but stalls at "initializing". Never completing the connection.

Any comments or ideas greatly appreciated.

dl32r did not need update as mackie's instructions say on initial setup.
dc16 did update successfully
dante card on mixer was updated successfully per mackie instructions.

Im starting to think the dc16 may be defective.
I have not talked to live support at mackie yet, but intend to.

thanks
Brad P

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: dc16 wont connect to dl32r
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 04:15:14 AM »
Hi Brad, when this happens, do a force update on the DC16, but it sounds like you already did that,, in the process of updating, all across the console, the DC16's LCD displays show UPDATING... did you see that?
be patient and let it do it's thing,, with at least one iPad connected to the iPad control port, when it is finished the iPad will ask... update blah blah blah.. choose Yes update,, or whatever it says, I can't remember  :)

I am in the midwest USA and I am up real late if you want to contact me through my website... https://www.kurysound.com

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:22:24 AM by dpdan »

bradp015

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »
Hi Brad, when this happens, do a force update on the DC16, but it sounds like you already did that,, in the process of updating, all across the console, the DC16's LCD displays show UPDATING... did you see that?
be patient and let it do it's thing,, with at least one iPad connected to the iPad control port, when it is finished the iPad will ask... update blah blah blah.. choose Yes update,, or whatever it says, I can't remember  :)

I am in the midwest USA and I am up real late if you want to contact me through my website... https://www.kurysound.com

Hi Dan,
well thats really funny you answered my post... iv been watching your YT vids and was considering calling you for help... Felt i should prob call support first!...
Yes, i saw "updating" all across the board.

Yesterday we got dc16 working along with ipad on wifi. But connect ipad to control port or dante cable in and wham, system crashes.....
When I save a show on the dc16, the ipads disconnect. weird...

Today i will follow thru with "KB_AXIS_Setup Guide" that tech support sent me. Right from scratch.

I think mixer and controller might have diff FW versions? But mixer finally did an update yesterday. Right before we got it working.
I wish i had that setup guide when i first powered the system. The audio install company is there installing a lot of other gear and i feel some of the paperwork may have been misplaced along the way or mackie did not include it in the manual pack.

I spent some time learning the controller and wow im loving the speed.....mostly one button to get everywhere you need to be... im so used to 2,3 or 4 button pushes to get there. the workflow is awesome.

Thanks Dan, (I may still call you!!! LOL)

bradp015

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 04:32:54 PM »
Hey Dan,

Today i went thru the docs from mackie and the system is up and running... !!

Now, it seems the dante auto route selection is not coming up on a system boot. Ive looked in the MF app in the dante routing section and no routing is connected. I assuming this is how the solo and rta/spectrum return works when at the controller location. I have tried full power cycle and also a 'change mixer" option on the dc16 settings page.

Q: How to get the auto rout dialog to appear?
Q: is there just an easier way to get the solo and rta/spectrum system to work?

thanks so much!
brad p

bradp015

• Youngling
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
Ahhhh.
So i did get the dante routing correct by using the MF app and doing the routing they show in the MF manual....
But....

I sure would like a sure fire way to do the "auto rout dante" on the dc16...

:-)

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 01:32:31 AM »
Hi Brad, so sorry I am late to the party  :)
I am happy that your system is up and runnin,, I love that DC16 too,,,
the amazing thing to me about this "console" is that besides the fact that it is not a wireless device,
it can get completely disconnected from the system by a CAT5 cable failure or the power cable gets unplugged and the system still operates flawlessly. Just grab an iPad and away you go...

I have my DC16 packed up for a job on Tuesday so I can't experiment for you, but I will find out and let you know :)

Q: is there just an easier way to get the solo and rta/spectrum system to work?

not sure what you mean but all the input and output mixes have EQ as you probably already know.
Click on the EQ and choose Spectrum and you will see the spectograph in real time moving from bottom upwards.
If you choose spectrum on an output mix, the spectrum will display all the frequencies in that output.   
I'm not sure that answers your question.

it seems the dante auto route selection is not coming up on a system boot.
I think the only time the DC16 will prompt "Auto Route Dante?" is after a force update and changing to a different mixer.
I am not positive about this, I wish I had mine set up to help you better.

Call anytime  8)
Welcome to the family of Mackie!
Dan

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:43:40 AM by dpdan »

bradp015

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »
Dey Dan,
thanks for the reply!

So i did all the dante routing manually (gawd that makes my head spin, im an old analog guy, sort of!!! LOL)
spektrum and headphone monitor is working...

i was asking the same thing in 2 ways, thats all. no worries...

yes if the ether cble or pwr went down on the dc16 feature, thats a good benefit.

And the way i see it, the only way it would be a problem would be if the router was on the dc16 side and not the dl32r side, right?
once power was removed from dc16, wifi control would be lost to the dl32r? am i right here?
The control messages from the ipad flow like this: ipad>>>router>>> control ethernet cable >>>dc16>>>dante ethernet cable>>>dl32r
Thots?

Yes, iv had mackie stuff before and always liked it... the manuals are great too!
IMHO: The manuals for this system have a lot of mistakes  and leave important info out. Quality control of manuals should go to a person who never used the system for checking.
Ex. One blatant mistake is using the word "Pages" in the text for buttons that are labeled "Flip" on the hardware.

Good luck on the gig tues!!!!

bradp

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:26:03 AM »
Hi Brad,
I always connect my Apple router to the DL32R not the DC16.
As far as I know, connecting it at the DC16 would work the same however, as we mentioned, if it was connected to the DC16 and the DC16 lost power or Dante connection,
we would be screwed. I really do not know the order in which the iPad control data travels...

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00:57 AM »
Hi Brad,

To change the DC16's Dante settings (besides the routing in Master Fader) you need to change the DC16 to a different mixer, and then back to FOH.
This is the only way that I know of that let's us get to the "AUTO-ROUTE DANTE" option.

Hold down ALT then tap the setup button... ALT/SETUP
You will see: Connected to DL32R FOH CHANGE?... then push
You will see: Connect to Mixer: then two displays to the right you will see DL32R, Select... then push
You will see: Select DL32R connection slot, three displays to the right you will choose MON
you will see: Connecting to DL32R Slot MON
Then EXIT,
to get out of SETUP, I usually tap the GAIN button in the upper left part of the console.

The mixer will automatically exit out of "SETUP", then you need to change it back to FOH to invoke  "AUTO-ROUTE DANTE"....

again,,,, :ALT/SETUP
You will see: Connected to DL32R MON CHANGE?... then push
You will see: Connect to Mixer: then two displays to the right you will see DL32R, Select... then push
You will see: Select DL32R connection slot, then two displays to the right you will choose FOH
You will see: Auto Route Dante and DL32R? choose YES.
You will see: Connecting to DL32R Slot FOH
You will see: Auto Route Status SUCCESS, then it will automatically exit SETUP

Done  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:11:36 AM by dpdan »

bradp015

• Youngling
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
Ahhhh, Good to know Dan...
Thanks for that!

bradp

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »
glad to help, it's a simple process but my instructions make it look like ... ughhh!