Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

Hard Disk Problem

(1/2) > >>

SteveB:
I know a lot has been written about spinning hard disks but to set the scene I'm setting up a DL32 for a friend. I formatted the hard drive using the DL (as recommended) and now my computer won't recognize the disk as a storage devise - a devise yes but not one I can write too!

It's a windows PC I'm connecting to and not sure if it's because it's a 4TB disk!  I've no problem with my PC seeing my own 1TB disk.

I know not exactly DL32 but related so any thoughts appreciated.

WK154:
You'll have to partition your 4TB drive to 2 2TB partitions. since FAT32's limit is 2TB in spite of what Microsoft states (was 2TB under W98). They crippled their disk formatter but still read and write to the original limit. There are lots of free 3rd party formatters to provide this on a PC. Mackie was to cheap to pay for use of exFAT which would have increased both file size and device size significantly.

SteveB:
WH154 - Thanks for that I vaguely recall that now! The problem I have is that my Windows PC now won't see the hard disk so I can't reformat it! It sees it as a "devise" but I'm unable to allocate a drive letter. Is this drive now poggered or is there a utility anyone knows about that could possibly help?

pytchley:
Try using a Mac.

WK154:

--- Quote from: SteveB on July 25, 2018, 08:36:08 AM ---WH154 - Thanks for that I vaguely recall that now! The problem I have is that my Windows PC now won't see the hard disk so I can't reformat it! It sees it as a "devise" but I'm unable to allocate a drive letter. Is this drive now poggered or is there a utility anyone knows about that could possibly help?

--- End quote ---
Most disk manufacturers have a diagnostic tool that also low level formats. This should solve your problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version