Unofficial Mackie User Forums > DL1608/DL806/DL32R/ProDX Mixers

DL1608 vs. DL16S

(1/6) > >>

WK154:
I should have compared the DL1608 to the "New" DL16S instead of the XR18, my bad. Let's see what is new and exciting with the DL16S that's not on the DL1608. The clear and obvious difference of course is the form factor. The DL16S is a stage box not a desktop. Then the preamps are totally digitally controlled. For me that was never a problem since I don't mix adjusting preamp levels once setup along with the recall ability (mics seem to keep moving position). The small digital adjustment was more than sufficient. The universal phantom power 48V is finally gone. So  there is also the recording/playback of individual channels, instead of just stereo, with a external computer via USB. Then there is the addition of internal WiFi for  practice, certainly not for serious work. The internal power supply is a welcome change except for those running off batteries like me  :(. The biggest change however is the multi-platform MF additions. Although they are the same for both units except for new hardware controls not available on the DL1608 (Preamps, Phantom Power, Recording, form factor). If any of these tickle your fancy then by all means upgrade but don't throw your router away. Don't forget to upgrade your iPad (three or lower won't work) or trade it in for two new Android tabs.

ToH2002:
Personally, I really welcome the fully digital preamps - always found it a nuisance to have to run back and forth between stage and my mixing position during sound check when adapting gain levels. With the DL32R, I can do everything from one spot.

Once I had the preamps set on my DL1608, I usually took a photo and stored it along the channel list in my notes for any repeat exercise with that band. But usually, for any next gig, there were new microphones or another change of equipment that required re-doing the gain setting procedure...

ToH2002:

--- Quote from: WK154 on September 15, 2018, 07:05:46 PM --- Then there is the addition of internal WiFi for  practice, certainly not for serious work.

--- End quote ---
´

Do you have any further data on the internal WiFi to add to this cautionary note? Certainly for large locations it makes sense to have specialized WiFi setups that are optimized to do the job no matter what, but for the average club gig, a run-of-the-mill WiFi card should be able to do the job, no?

Cheers,

Torsten

WK154:
First you may want to update your location on this site.
It would always depend on your clients. I would say that an older crowd would not be a problem but the new generation leaves you with a crap shoot.
Cheers

ToH2002:
Not sure what sharing my location has to do with this topic - maybe I don't want to? Should be my choice, right?

Still don't understand your answer: "a new generation leaves you with a crap shoot" - do you mean that younger people will try to break into the WiFi? Are there any security weaknesses in Mackie's WiFi implementation that you know of? Or is it more sensitive to a high number of smartphones trying to connect to it?

I'd really like to understand your comment, but at the moment it's just a vague statement promoting FUD...

Cheers,

Torsten

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version