Author Topic: EQ’ing multiple songs  (Read 12689 times)

Jooles15

• Youngling
EQ’ing multiple songs
« on: September 17, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
I’ve created separate songs within a show all with subtley differing EQ settings. Due to room acoustics, I am expecting to want to EQ the master out channel feeding L and R during sound check for each song. Is there a very quick way of applying such a change to multiple songs? We can play 30 to 40 songs in a long set. Thanks.

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
Re: EQ’ing multiple songs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 04:59:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

you can make and recall your own EQ presets...

but why in the world would you want the mains EQ to change just because you are playing a different song?  :facepalm:
You are making things way more complicated for yourself
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:18:39 AM by dpdan »

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:02 AM »
Thanks for that, that’s useful to know. The reason I want different EQ for each song is that there are just 2 of us, I play all Guitar parts and my partner sings. We play to bass and drum backing tracks and the EQ of the backing tracks varies significantly. Having an EQ setting for each song allows me to carefully EQ the backing track and has made world of difference to the sound and balance of sound between each song.

Wynnd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
My two cents.  I really like a PA to be flat response across the audio spectrum.  Take pink noise into a channel and out to your speakers, then take a reference microphone and input into a different channel that is only going out to a separate AUX channel and RTA that channel.  Use that to EQ your output until the pink noise is coming back late then save the EQ settings with a name that tells you what it is.  While this doesn't work perfectly, it works well enough for nearly all rooms to get a good sound.  You can always use the PEQ to tailor a room to taste.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »
Thanks for that, that’s useful to know. The reason I want different EQ for each song is that there are just 2 of us, I play all Guitar parts and my partner sings. We play to bass and drum backing tracks and the EQ of the backing tracks varies significantly. Having an EQ setting for each song allows me to carefully EQ the backing track and has made world of difference to the sound and balance of sound between each song.

Then you need to change the EQ to your tracks channel, not the mains. When you change the mains, it will be affecting your vocal and guitar mics.

The EQ on the mains is for room acoustics. As Wynnd posted, you want the PA to be linear (or flat) across the sound spectrum.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:46:24 PM by stevegarris »

dpdan

• Dapper Dan
  • Master
    • kurysound.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:40:57 PM »
I was going to say what Steve already did...

change the EQ on the tracks channel/s, not the mains.

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
That’s what I’ve done, I’ve changed the EQ on the backing track channel for each song, what I want to do is identify an easy solution for changing the main L and R out track EQ on all songs to suit room acoustics. 😁👍

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
That’s what I’ve done, I’ve changed the EQ on the backing track channel for each song, what I want to do is identify an easy solution for changing the main L and R out track EQ on all songs to suit room acoustics. 😁👍
I think you are confusing the role of L&R and any other speakers which would present your sound to the audience in a venue (room acoustics) with individual sound sources (Backing tracks and Voice and Guitar) a totally separate issue. As I perceive it you need to re-record your backing tracks to your liking without room acoustics interfering with quality headphones and then adjust your room acoustics as a separate step.  Songs will have different frequency content and will affect room acoustics hence the recommendation to use pink noise for room acoustic correction. If you can't find a third party to evaluate yourself live then record yourself s and do soundcheck live in the audience area. Most of us don't get that time luxury so a lot is done on the fly using your ears, a hard thing to do as one of two performers. The goal is to be consistent. You do however need a functional DL1608.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:16:21 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
My approach has been similar, adjusting each backing track not through headphones but in my rehearsal space, my intention being to then adjust for venue room acoustics using a global EQ if such a process exists. Not come across the term ‘pink noise’ before, is this an audio equivalent of a screen Test card (apologies if you’re not uk based and do not recognise this term!)

I am almost entirely new to sound engineering, only really having guessed my way through with reasonable results. I really want to learn in order to exploit the DL and maximise the quality of our sound.

WK154

• Door #3
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »
Re-reading my answer it was probably not clear (corrected in post) as to the reason for headphone listening. It was to avoid more room acoustics such as the rehearsal space from affecting your evaluation. Pink noise like Video Screen Test Card is to provide a full (or not) frequency range (20 -20K) steady signal so you can adjust the audio. Used mostly in conjunction with a RTA or good ears. You have a noble goal but remember it's good not to adopt bad habits since they're hard to change. A good book or some of the U-tube tutorials from Pro's may be a good start. Plenty of practice won't hurt either. Also keep in mind that the mixer is not a fix-all for a poor performance. The saying in audio is that "less is more" applies here. Lastly is your DL1608 charging problem solved? There are a few UK folks on this board that may be of help. Yes there are mathematical ways to define room acoustics but they are not used in live performances AFAIK.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:42:19 PM by WK154 »
When in doubt KISS

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 07:17:08 PM »
Charging problem unresolved so have arranged to exchange the unit with the retailer.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 02:08:43 AM »
My approach has been similar, adjusting each backing track not through headphones but in my rehearsal space, my intention being to then adjust for venue room acoustics using a global EQ if such a process exists. Not come across the term ‘pink noise’ before, is this an audio equivalent of a screen Test card (apologies if you’re not uk based and do not recognise this term!)

I am almost entirely new to sound engineering, only really having guessed my way through with reasonable results. I really want to learn in order to exploit the DL and maximise the quality of our sound.

If I understand correctly, you want to use the Main EQ (which is global, as it comes after everything else), and then save it for each venue?  You can save each show and give it a name. I typically save my shows under the band's name, but sometimes I also use the venue name. Is that what you're asking?

Pink noise is a sound that can be generated through your PA - basically all frequencies, so it's a huge "hissing" sound. This is used in conjunction with a special mic and measuring device to help determine the room acoustics.

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:06 AM »
Yes that’s it. I have created different shows for different venues and the idea is to set the main EQ for those venues. It appears though, that you can’t EQ a show, only individual songs within that show. Probably be easier and quicker to simply tweek the EQ controls on my PA speakers if time is not on my side which it rarely is when you’re the guitar player and sound guy. Thinking about training up our singer’s husband on the DL so he can sit in the audience, adjust and save.

stevegarris

• Knight
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
Yes that’s it. I have created different shows for different venues and the idea is to set the main EQ for those venues. It appears though, that you can’t EQ a show, only individual songs within that show. Probably be easier and quicker to simply tweek the EQ controls on my PA speakers if time is not on my side which it rarely is when you’re the guitar player and sound guy. Thinking about training up our singer’s husband on the DL so he can sit in the audience, adjust and save.

The main EQ is exactly that, an EQ for your show. This is the EQ that is located directly above the master volume fader. There is a 31 band, and a parametric EQ. Both can be used simultaneously. I suggest you use the parametric, which looks exactly like the channel EQ's.

Jooles15

• Youngling
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 12:00:19 AM »
We play 30 songs in a show, this means adjusting the EQ over the main volume slider 30 times per venue.